Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As of AA award reservations ticketed since iirc August 10 , chauffeur drive is no longer offered
I learned again some bad news !
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:10 am

Does anyone know when availability starts to open up for 2018? Looking to book BOM to JFK in Jan, but it seems like availability stopped popping up for The Residence starting Jan 3..
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Does anyone know when availability starts to open up for 2018? Looking to book BOM to JFK in Jan, but it seems like availability stopped popping up for The Residence starting Jan 3..
I don't think The Residence can be booked using AAdvantage. Unless I've missed something.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed, the residences cannot be booked using AAdvantage miles.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:36 am

Ah crap, I had called AA Australia twice now and even specifically asked how many miles it would require for the etihad residence for two passengers and was told it was 115k points. Oh well, I guess I will now need 230k points for two passengers one way for the apartment?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Ah crap, I had called AA Australia twice now and even specifically asked how many miles it would require for the etihad residence for two passengers and was told it was 115k points. Oh well, I guess I will now need 230k points for two passengers one way for the apartment?
The cost will depend on the routing, but if the 1st class award cost is 115k miles then it will be 230k for 2

If the Residence was something that could be booked, it would not be something cheaper than a business class award
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:28 pm

Interesting experience. Eleven days ago, I overslept the day booking opened for early Jan 2018 MAA-AUH-ORD, and so by the time I called in, the 2 J seats EY had released on AUH-ORD that morning had already been booked.

Eleven days later, in the late evening (US time) yesterday, EY released four more J award seats on the same flight. Amazing and quite unexpected.

But the problem was, on etihad.com I could see MAA-AUH and AUH-ORD, but not MAA-ORD. I called AA-USA, and sure enough the agent said nothing available for MAA-ORD.

I explained the situation to him, and he tapped away for a while, and then said yes, by holding the longhaul first and then adding the shorthaul to it, he was able to book it as a single award. The agent did say "we aren't supposed to do it segment by segment", which is something I've heard from other agents also, but then he did it.

Of course EY's booking weirdness is never consistent, but maybe if someone else encounters a similar problem, it is worth asking the agent to hold one flight then add the other; if that doesn't work do it in reverse.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Shirley there are hundreds of posts on the topic in this thread. SYD-AUH-JFK (long way around) is not an allowed AAdvantage routing for one award. However, you can book it as two separate awards if EY is showing availability on the 2 legs separately.
"Don't call me Shirley."

(Sorry, just getting caught up on this thread and couldn't resist)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:46 pm

Called the australia office 2 days ago when i saw availability on etihad guest but they couldn't see anything. just called the Australia office again and they could see plenty of availability for departing AUH in the summer. the frustrating part is there are very little AA business saver domestic tickets so finding a flight from/to my final destination (TPA) is difficult. so i initially booked AMM-AUH (business on RJ) and then AUH to JFK (first). but then i realized there are no non-stop JFK to TPA on AA. so i considered buying a one way delta ticket but then realized that that means i would have to get my bags in JFK and rechecked them on delta vs checking them in AUH straight to tampa. so i called back and they found availability on AUH to DFW in first.

i had previously booked my departing from on QR from PHL - DOH - AMM. so now i will buy a TPA-PHL, DFW-TPA flight. you still following me here? :P
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:15 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by omaralt
Called the australia office 2 days ago when i saw availability on etihad guest but they couldn't see anything. just called the Australia office again and they could see plenty of availability for departing AUH in the summer. the frustrating part is there are very little AA business saver domestic tickets so finding a flight from/to my final destination (TPA) is difficult. so i initially booked AMM-AUH (business on RJ) and then AUH to JFK (first). but then i realized there are no non-stop JFK to TPA on AA. so i considered buying a one way delta ticket but then realized that that means i would have to get my bags in JFK and rechecked them on delta vs checking them in AUH straight to tampa. so i called back and they found availability on AUH to DFW in first.

i had previously booked my departing from on QR from PHL - DOH - AMM. so now i will buy a TPA-PHL, DFW-TPA flight. you still following me here? :P
We're in the same boat. Ticketed EY J/F and AA domestic first for HKT-AUH-JFK-DCA-TPA this summer. Also have SYD-LAX-DFW-TPA next January. Guess it's worth it since I have to book positioning flights on the outbound *A awards due to UA's limited domestic award availability at EOS.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by omaralt
Changing to DFW or PHL and buying a separate AA ticket is not going to solve your problem.
Effective last month, EY will no longer check your bags to your final destination if you have a separate tickets.

Suggest you learn to travel with carry-ons or just deal with the fact that you'll have to retrieve and re-check... and allow plenty of time.

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 23, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Changing to DFW or PHL and buying a separate AA ticket is not going to solve your problem.
Effective last month, EY will no longer check your bags to your final destination if you have a separate tickets.

Suggest you learn to travel with carry-ons or just deal with the fact that you'll have to retrieve and re-check... and allow plenty of time.

oh wow that's for letting me know. I haven't booked the award tickets yet, still on hold. I'll try to maybe have the agent include the positioning flight on the same PNR. I'll report back if I'm successful. If not it's gonna be a headache
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777

i guess the question for me is will royal Jordanian check my bags through to Tampa from Amman? I'm flying RJ to EY to AA...
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
"Don't call me Shirley."

(Sorry, just getting caught up on this thread and couldn't resist)
I think the logically appropriate response would have to be "Don't call me surely". No, that didn't make any sense either.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Hey guys,

Need a bit of help. I've read through a ton of posts but maybe I'm not quite grasping it.

Planning on flying from SYD-AUH-JFK in EY F

Here are my questions:

1. Is my redemption considered redeemable for 110K? The AA award chart has a note that seems to indicate it's transPacific only routings???

2. If the routing is redeemable for 110K, I assume I need to connect in AUH within 23:59 ... is that correct?

3. Any idea what the taxes and fees would be for this redemption?

Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.