Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tangey
I've read back quite a few pages, and the wiki, and the routing rules post pointed to in the wiki.

Can someone confirm that now AUH and MLE are no longer in the same region, LHR-MLE which previously was bookable as a single AA award, now defnitely requires two AA awards ? i.e. I dont see an exception that allows routing from Europe to India (which is MLEs new designation) via the middle east.

It also appears you can't travel from the US to MLE on one award (again no exception for US to india via middle east)

Has there been a report that such a booking has been tried since the changes and failed/succeeded ?
I can't say for certain that US-MLE is no longer one award via the ME, but I'm almost positive that AA has opened up US-MLE via Asia as one award. For example JFK-HKG-MLE on CX. Would be strange if the going via the ME is now 2 awards, and if so, makes me so happy I booked my tickets a few months ago when I did.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Thanks, I see it. Strange, I had picked about 20 random days and found nothing.
First, EY is under no obligation to provide any award seats for you at all, and complaining about that is silly. Second, regarding 'picking 20 random days', you can see availability for a week at a time once you know what you are doing. You don't have to click on each day one at a time ---the miles required in the top row chart gives you an indication of whether GuestSeats are available.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:43 am

I've read back quite a few pages, and the wiki, and the routing rules post pointed to in the wiki.

Can someone confirm that now AUH and MLE are no longer in the same region, LHR-MLE which previously was bookable as a single AA award, now defnitely requires two AA awards ? i.e. I dont see an exception that allows routing from Europe to India (which is MLEs new designation) via the middle east.

It also appears you can't travel from the US to MLE on one award (again no exception for US to india via middle east)

Has there been a report that such a booking has been tried since the changes and failed/succeeded ?

So I called AA yesterday and gave the agent my proposed itinerary and she actually went through and added all the legs MAD-LHR-AUH-MLE and she said it would be a valid route....I didn't book because F was not available on the LHR-AUH route but she said I could have booked in J. I asked her on the routing rules and she said that this was ok. She didn't actually book it so when she tries to it might not let her. So as far as the agent is concerned, the route works. I don't know who (the agent or computer) decides if the route is valid but as far as she knew, it would work.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Dimitri Papadopoulos
So I called AA yesterday and gave the agent my proposed itinerary and she actually went through and added all the legs MAD-LHR-AUH-MLE and she said it would be a valid route....I didn't book because F was not available on the LHR-AUH route but she said I could have booked in J. I asked her on the routing rules and she said that this was ok. She didn't actually book it so when she tries to it might not let her. So as far as the agent is concerned, the route works. I don't know who (the agent or computer) decides if the route is valid but as far as she knew, it would work.
whether it is a valid route or not is one question, but how many award bookings it would take to acheive the itinerary is another.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:04 am

whether it is a valid route or not is one question, but how many award bookings it would take to acheive the itinerary is another.

She said it would be priced at 62,500 for the entire trip in First
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:29 am
Suspended

She said it would be priced at 62,500 for the entire trip in First
I said this earlier and I figured this was the case. It would make no sense to have EU-MLE as 2 or 3 awards, when MANY have booked US-AUH-MLE-AUH-US as one award and it's much further away.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
I said this earlier and I figured this was the case. It would make no sense to have EU-MLE as 2 or 3 awards, when MANY have booked US-AUH-MLE-AUH-US as one award and it's much further away.
That round trip from the US, I'm pretty sure, would be 2 awards. 1 each way.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:12 pm
Suspended

That round trip from the US, I'm pretty sure, would be 2 awards. 1 each way.
Yes, correct. I wasn't quite clear, but meant 1 award each way.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Until March 22, AUH and MLE were in the same region (Middle East/India) - so unsurprising that many have booked it as one award (whether from Europe or from North America )

With the current reward charts, Middle East and India are now different regions , so unless there are routing exceptions, would seem surprising if it is permitted as one award now

Actual distance isn't relevant when using a zone based system
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:42 pm

Is there a place with all the routing rules? I have looked on aa.com but can't find anything except routing across the atlantic vs pacific for asia flights
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Until March 22, AUH and MLE were in the same region (Middle East/India) - so unsurprising that many have booked it as one award (whether from Europe or from North America )

With the current reward charts, Middle East and India are now different regions , so unless there are routing exceptions, would seem surprising if it is permitted as one award now
What we need is some soul who needs to do the relevant route, to try it out.

Is there a place with all the routing rules? I have looked on aa.com but can't find anything except routing across the atlantic vs pacific for asia flights
I had a quick look on AA prior to my posting, but I couldn't see anywhere that they list the exceptions. There is a list pointed to in the wiki on the top of this thread, this points to another FT thread. I don't know if that list has been compiled thru experience, or whether it is a definitive AA list. Possibly some of the AA gurus might help.

If, as it appears to be the case, LHR-MLE (for example) is now 2 awards, then a return in biz has gone from 60K pre devaluation to 145K

Last edited by tangey; Jul 20, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For EY, using Expert Flyer works well. Put in origin and destination and look at the routing rules that EY publishes

EY generally has specified permitted routings, so is quite easy to check there

On top of this, of course, the AAdvantage specific rules ( such as no 3rd region ) also apply

I had a quick look on AA prior to my posting, but I couldn't see anywhere that they list the exceptions. There is a list pointed to in the wiki on the top of this thread, this points to another FT thread. I don't know if that list has been compiled thru experience, or whether it is a definitive AA list. Possibly some of the AA gurus might help.
That list was obtained , I believe, from a definitive source at AA . That list does seem to have the old region definitions

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 20, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Nope, there is no change. USA-AUH-India is one award. I just booked one 3 weeks ago.

ME and India were split into two zones apparently just because of different routing rules (tpac OK for India but not for ME, but award levels are identical). There is no change in the miles required for UA-AUH-India.

Really, even USA-LHR-India goes via a different zone (Europe). There are no non-stops on OW airlines currently.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:47 pm
Suspended

...There is a list pointed to in the wiki on the top of this thread, this points to another FT thread. I don't know if that list has been compiled thru experience, or whether it is a definitive AA list. Possibly some of the AA gurus might help....
it's that amazing JonNYC guy who had posted all that great info.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:18 pm

Ok, just called and put MAD-LHR-AUH-MLE on hold in business for 42,500 miles. It is all one award ticket. So it is possible even with 3 regions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.