Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey guys,

Need a bit of help. I've read through a ton of posts but maybe I'm not quite grasping it.

Planning on flying from SYD-AUH-JFK in EY F

Here are my questions:

1. Is my redemption considered redeemable for 110K? The AA award chart has a note that seems to indicate it's transPacific only routings???

2. If the routing is redeemable for 110K, I assume I need to connect in AUH within 23:59 ... is that correct?

3. Any idea what the taxes and fees would be for this redemption?

Thanks guys!
no that would be two separate awards
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you were to redeem 2 awards and do it without a stopover, the taxes would be AUD143.77. With a stopover, the taxes would rise to AUD164.45

If not holding any AA status, if booking close to departure there would be an additional USD75 fee
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey guys,

Need a bit of help. I've read through a ton of posts but maybe I'm not quite grasping it.

Planning on flying from SYD-AUH-JFK in EY F

Here are my questions:

1. Is my redemption considered redeemable for 110K? The AA award chart has a note that seems to indicate it's transPacific only routings???

2. If the routing is redeemable for 110K, I assume I need to connect in AUH within 23:59 ... is that correct?

3. Any idea what the taxes and fees would be for this redemption?

Thanks guys!
1. These will be two separate awards on EY. Before the AA deval, it was 60K for SYD-AUH and 90K for AUH-JFK for a total of 150K miles. These are now 100K and 115K, for a total of 215K miles.

2. Because these will be booked as two separate tickets, you are not subject to the 24 hour connect time. There's lots to do in the Middle East and it's pretty cheap to get around by air, so it's a great opportunity to stay and explore between EY flights. If you're going to stay in the UAE, rental cars are cheap at AUH and the driving is easy.

3. SYD-AUH was about $65 and AUH-JFK was about $45 the last few times we've done it.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Recent posts about redeeming OZ miles have been moved to a new thread in that forum.

~Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:18 am

If I see first class award availability from jfk-auh but not on the second leg from auh-hyd can I still book first class award for this trip as auh-hyd doesn't have first class on that flight anyway?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
If I see first class award availability from jfk-auh but not on the second leg from auh-hyd can I still book first class award for this trip as auh-hyd doesn't have first class on that flight anyway?
If I understand you correctly, yes. You can take a voluntary downgrade to a lower class of service on the second leg.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler
If I understand you correctly, yes. You can take a voluntary downgrade to a lower class of service on the second leg.
what if the highest class in second leg is biz and there is actually no first?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:13 pm

what if the highest class in second leg is biz and there is actually no first?
I thought that was given in my answer. If there is no first then you can fly in business if business award space is available or economy if that award space is available. You will get no discount in the number of points required though.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:28 pm

I thought that was given in my answer. If there is no first then you can fly in business if business award space is available or economy if that award space is available. You will get no discount in the number of points required though.
​​​​​So are you telling me that even though I can see availability only for first leg in first but no availability when I plug in the last destination I can still call AA and get them to book me one first class award ticket for the jfk-hyd as a single award ticket?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG/RC Platinum
Is there a way to search for open GuestSeats in F across multiple dates? I only see how to look up +/-3 in Expert flyer. I don't care when the date are, so I'd like to do a wider search. Looking for US to AUH or any destination I can get the 380 apartments to. I figure the positioning is the easy part.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:52 pm

​​​​​So are you telling me that even though I can see availability only for first leg in first but no availability when I plug in the last destination I can still call AA and get them to book me one first class award ticket for the jfk-hyd as a single award ticket?
If there is milesaver award space of some type (F, J, Y) for each of the segments and the award is otherwise allowed by the rules as a single award and no "married segment" restrictions are in place by the operating carrier then, yes, you can combine a first class award segment for the first flight with a business class or economy class award for the second segment paying the first class award for the whole trip even though not all of the segments are actually in first class.

If there is no award availability in F, J, or Y for the second segment, then absolutely no.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:26 pm

If there is milesaver award space of some type (F, J, Y) for each of the segments and the award is otherwise allowed by the rules as a single award and no "married segment" restrictions are in place by the operating carrier then, yes, you can combine a first class award segment for the first flight with a business class or economy class award for the second segment paying the first class award for the whole trip even though not all of the segments are actually in first class.

If there is no award availability in F, J, or Y for the second segment, then absolutely no.
Awesome. Thank you
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Layover AUH?

Please advise....
If I book First Class award travel BOM-AUH-JFK, what is allowed in terms/requirements of a stopover and in terms of a layover in AUH?
I'd like to spend 48 hours or so in AUH.
Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Please advise....
If I book First Class award travel BOM-AUH-JFK, what is allowed in terms/requirements of a stopover and in terms of a layover in AUH?
I'd like to spend 48 hours or so in AUH.
Thank you in advance.
No stopover is permitted
If you spend 24 hours or more in AUH, then it will be priced as 2 awards
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:59 pm

mixed cabin booking

Can I make a mixed cabin booking on Etihad with AA miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.