Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by kljcorp
My usual route with AA is from PHX to ORD and now for the past two weeks or so when I book my ticket (usually the cheapest available fare) I get a screen pop up that says Basic Economy, which is (no overhead carry-on, no assigned seating, etc.). I can choose Main Cabin for what's often an 800% surcharge to get what I used to get for the Basic Economy fare. So now a $52 fare that used to include an overhead now costs $450.

I've avoided going for status because the benefits weren't worth it to me. I don't normally check bags and don't care when I board. I DO however, care about having access to an overhead and knowing I have an assigned seat! So NOW is it worth it for me to obtain status?

It's all so complicated. I can get a Citi Card that will give me some advantages like earning 1 mile for every $1 spent (and 2 miles for every $1 spent fares), but does this give me access to overhead? Does this make any fare available for seat assignment? Should I do a Gold Challenge? Sign up for the credit card? Or both?

Btw- I'm such a noob that I don't even understand what 90% of the acronyms you guys use stand for. I'm also not quite sure how or why I need to know what the booking class code is (A,T,D,I,R,Y,W,B, etc.). This is incredibly confusing to someone who just uses American to get from PHX to ORD and back about once a month or so. I don't have a company paying for my travel, so I'd like to be as economical as possible. But it seems to me that AA just became like Spirit where they're going to start charging me for every little extra thing. Until now, I've tried to remain loyal to AA and am trying to decide it that still makes sense. But if they're going to be just like Spirit to me, I may as well just book the cheapest fare available.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to do. Thanks.
I did dummy booking on AA on PHX and ORD and can't even find a $52 Basic Economy deal.

In terms of overhead bin access: you could consider 1)checking you bag for $25 for the first one (plus $25 service charge, $50 in total for 1st bag), given the price difference between Basic Economy and Main Cabin is way higher than this. 2)The overhead bin restriction does not apply for status and credit card holders. However, status costs way more, and credit cards come with annual fees. The lowest annual fees product is $95, but sometimes the financial institutions (Citi or Barclay) could waive it for you.

Seat assignment, unfortunately, is not granted for status or credit card holders. At the end of the day, this is part of the ultra-low price of basic economy.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Jan 8, 2018 at 2:04 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I did dummy booking on AA on PHX and ORD and can't even find a $52 Basic Economy deal.

In terms of overhead bin access: you could consider 1)checking you bag for $25 for the first one (plus $25 service charge, $50 in total for 1st bag), given the price difference between Basic Economy and Main Cabin is way higher than this. 2)The overhead bin restriction does not apply for status and credit card holders. However, status costs way more, and credit cards come with annual fees. The lowest annual fees product is $95, but sometimes the financial institutions (Citi or Barclay) could waive it for you.

Seat assignment, unfortunately, is not granted for status or credit card holders. At the end of the day, this is part of the ultra-low price of basic economy.
I really appreciate your response. I should have mentioned I only purchase one-way fares. As I type this, there is a $52 fare PHX-ORD at 6:20am for Jan 9th. I use Google Flights to get a general idea of pricing, then book thru AA.

The $25 checked bag fee is not as important to me as the convenience of simply getting off the plane and being on my way. Not to sound snobbish or lazy, but I don't want to walk over to baggage claim and wait for my "carry-on" sized luggage to appear on a revolving belt, not to mention the time it takes to check this bag before the flight, along with the added the risk that they'll lose it, which would totally destroy a trip.

In other words, no carry-on/no seat assignment is a deal breaker for me and I'd just assume fly Spirit or Frontier at that point (airlines that up until now, I've avoided like the plague). I've never paid an annual fee for a credit card except to American Express and I suppose I don't mind doing it here. But I'd have to do some math. My current credit cards earn me anywhere from 2%-5% cashback on purchases and this card will earn me 1 award mile for each EQD for any dollar spent and 2 miles for fare purchases. So far, it's looking like it might be worth doing both the credit card and the Gold challenge if I'm going to continue flying AA for this route unless I'm missing something.

Again, thanks for the response.

I should also note that while my travel days are "flexible" they are not so flexible that I can wait weeks. If I find out Sunday that I have to travel from PHX to ORD that week then I may have some flexibility as to the exact date and time, but I will have to travel that week. So it seems like I'm going to be spending +$3k a year sticking with AA no matter what I do. May as well get immediate status thru the challenge and get the card, right?

Last edited by kljcorp; Jan 8, 2018 at 2:37 pm Reason: Added flexibility
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
I really appreciate your response. I should have mentioned I only purchase one-way fares. As I type this, there is a $52 fare PHX-ORD at 6:20am for Jan 9th. I use Google Flights to get a general idea of pricing, then book thru AA.

The $25 checked bag fee is not as important to me as the convenience of simply getting off the plane and being on my way. Not to sound snobbish or lazy, but I don't want to walk over to baggage claim and wait for my "carry-on" sized luggage to appear on a revolving belt, not to mention the time it takes to check this bag before the flight, along with the added the risk that they'll lose it, which would totally destroy a trip.

In other words, no carry-on/no seat assignment is a deal breaker for me and I'd just assume fly Spirit or Frontier at that point (airlines that up until now, I've avoided like the plague). I've never paid an annual fee for a credit card except to American Express and I suppose I don't mind doing it here. But I'd have to do some math. My current credit cards earn me anywhere from 2%-5% cashback on purchases and this card will earn me 1 award mile for each EQD for any dollar spent and 2 miles for fare purchases. So far, it's looking like it might be worth doing both the credit card and the Gold challenge if I'm going to continue flying AA for this route unless I'm missing something.

I should also note that while my travel days are "flexible" they are not so flexible that I can wait weeks. If I find out Sunday that I have to travel from PHX to ORD that week then I may have some flexibility as to the exact date and time, but I will have to travel that week. So it seems like I'm going to be spending +$3k a year sticking with AA no matter what I do. May as well get immediate status thru the challenge and get the card, right?
You're welcome.

The scope of AA miles valuation goes beyond this topic. My recent redemption gave me about 6 cents per mile, which is about 6% cash back, but most people (including myself) do not agree with this valuation. In my own experience and this is only one data point, Barclay is more friendly in terms of waiving co-branded credit card annual fees compared to Citi, but has higher requirement in terms of credit history/score.

In terms of challenge, keep in mind that even though you have status immediately, it usually lasts for a limited period of time, unless you complete the challenge. For Gold, $1,000 elite-qualifying-dollar/8 segments/7,000 miles in 90 days might be hard for less frequent travelers. You might be subject to status challenge fees, and could not repeat the challenge within a certain number of years (usually 5 years).

Please refer to the master thread for more details: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

An (eligible) AA credit card will allow you access to the overhead bins and preferred boarding (I think Group 5?).
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

Cards like the Citi Platinum Select waive the annual fee for the first year, I believe. (It definitely was the case when I got the card, and I think they still do it.)

I am not sure Gold status will give you additional benefits that would make the cost worth it.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We will be flying on AA with a leisurely connecting time of almost three hours at DFW arriving there around 7:30 am.

Any ideas concerning the best place to have breakfast anywhere in the DFW terminal complex?

Mods, please feel free to move this if I am in the wrong place for this question.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Lounge access question and reply have been moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2018-a.html.

Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:14 pm

I have lost my AA status but have quite a few 500mile upgrades. I travel frequently with someone who is AA gold and one time since we were on the same PNR, the gate agent was able to use them. Now I'm not sure if this was the exception or the norm but my question is as follows:

Can a non status AA flyer (British airways silver if that matters) fly with an AA gold on the same PNR and use their 500mile upgrades on the party? Would this work on flights to Mexico?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
PVG Lounge

Here I am in the CX hybrid lounge at T2 PVG. I went to the Air China lounge and as I was leaving I notice it is Business one side and 1st class the other. I was sent to Business even though I am OW Emerald with QF. I couldnt argue the point as it is not a One World Lounge. Is this usual for AA ?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:29 am

2 questions:
1. How do I subscribe to this forum?
2. I am just starting to collect miles with a trip to London. I am planning to do some significant traveling and am very serious about wanting to get status. My husband does not want to do it the credit card way. What suggests do you have for me? So glad I found this forum.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by hinsopa
2 questions:
1. How do I subscribe to this forum?

2. I am just starting to collect miles with a trip to London. I am planning to do some significant traveling and am very serious about wanting to get status. My husband does not want to do it the credit card way. What suggests do you have for me? So glad I found this forum.
1) See the illustration below. From the menu on Thread Tools, sleet subscribe.

2) There’s no way to attain status with a credit card on AA.

See:

GUIDE: Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thd.)

Short cut to status: HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:51 am

Upgrading an AAward

Hello -

If I book an economy award from NA to Europe on AA metal for 30k each way, and 4 months from now, saver level Biz class availability opens up (lol, when pigs fly maybe), can I call to upgrade my Y to J and just pay the incremental 27.5k miles, or do I need to pay $150 to cancel the award and then rebook it as a new one?

If I'm Plat Pro, is the $150 for cancelling an award waived?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by gilcresr
Hello -

If I book an economy award from NA to Europe on AA metal for 30k each way, and 4 months from now, saver level Biz class availability opens up (lol, when pigs fly maybe), can I call to upgrade my Y to J and just pay the incremental 27.5k miles, or do I need to pay $150 to cancel the award and then rebook it as a new one?

If I'm Plat Pro, is the $150 for cancelling an award waived?
Only Executive Platinum members have award Miles redeposit waived.

But, the good news is that if you “upgrade” your award to a higher class of service, AA only requires the difference of the required miles and will waive thevredeposit fees to issue you a new award. Many members report this is true, as SAAver Awards may open up on flights that are often on less high demand days or times. And you can change the flight (as long as origin and destination remain the same, generally, if you find that Business SAAver award on a different flight.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Question about rebooking: my plans changed and I am halfway through a round-trip flight (AA ticket number and flight numbers, but BA operated), from US to India and back. I know I will have to pay the penalty ($500 for this business class fare), but I am not sure when i want to return. I would like to pay the penalty only once. Can I cancel the ticket (perhaps online) and then call to rebook the return, probably paying $500 plus possibly some fare difference.

Or if I cancel without rebooking the return, would the recalculate it as one-way fare, and leave me only a bit of residual value.

I would much prefer the first outcome, of course!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
Question about rebooking: my plans changed and I am halfway through a round-trip flight (AA ticket number and flight numbers, but BA operated), from US to India and back. I know I will have to pay the penalty ($500 for this business class fare), but I am not sure when i want to return. I would like to pay the penalty only once. Can I cancel the ticket (perhaps online) and then call to rebook the return, probably paying $500 plus possibly some fare difference.

Or if I cancel without rebooking the return, would the recalculate it as one-way fare, and leave me only a bit of residual value.

I would much prefer the first outcome, of course!
Yes, the first scenario is what will happen. Pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel it there. AA will email you a handy cancellation email with the PNR and ticket number. When you're ready to rebook, call AA and give them the ticket number, they will asses the change fee and fare difference based on your new flights.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:59 pm

When I click on these, I get “page not found”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.