Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by JDiver
At midnight December, the EQ “odometer” zeroes out and we start the EQD-EQM-EQS in a completely clean squirrel cage. Earned EQ anything are merely mileposts / counters for status, though they do trigger electronic upgrades earning points, etc. they can’t be accumulated or taken forward to another year.

Status earned is valid the year earned, the following year and one month. That is to say Gold earned this year would be valid the remainder of 2018, all of 2019 and if not otherwise renewed, through 31 Jan 2020. I earned EXP last year, and will turn into a pumpkin 31 Jan 2019 - or at least Lifetime Platinum, anyway, in my case.

Award miles earned are valid until 18mpnths go by with no activity (at all) in one’s account.
Thank you very much, JDiver. I guess I'll have to settle with "just" Gold for next year..
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by danielm
Is award availability tied to city of origin rather than to the flight itself?

Example: I can get a saaver award JFK-MCO-MIA-GND. I really don't want an overnight in MCO, so I'm willing to buy myself a ticket to MIA, and then use miles for MIA-GND. However, MIA-GND is apparently only open if I first fly JFK-MCO-MIA. Is this normal? I thought a given flight either had availability or didn't.

(and btw, AA miles are feeling real useless right now. So many options out of JFK, but ONLY if I'm willing to have a miserable overnight. Like an overnight in Boston - but if I look for awards from Boston, it wants to force an overnight in SFO...do they not want me to redeem at all?)
Yep, this is called married segment availability and AA has started doing it a lot lately. It can definitely be frustrating as you're seeing. If you're willing to put the full itinerary on hold and then try dropping segments, you can sometimes get what you want, although it can take a number of HUCAs...

Read all about it in the thread here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...egments-9.html
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:52 am
Suspended

When booking through other airlines' sites (revenue or award) be prepared for hiccups. Getting seat assignments, coping with rebooking in case of irreg ops or changes, trying to get separate PNR's to sit together and even through checking bags on two same carrier flights on separate tickets booked through partner airline can be all much more complicated and prone to fall through the cracks. So you can save some cash or miles but remember you may hit bumps down the road if you do. This applies to all carriers where you make bookings in another airline's system.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The statement quoted from the web site doesn't make sense. It as if you have earned status, which would be good until then if earned in the 2018 calendar year, but 11K miles would not earn status. The 40K earned next year will get you to Gold (if you have four AA segments) and another 10K within the 2019 calendar year would get you to Platinum. To muddy things slightly, once you have status the EQM counter for upgrade "coupons" resets on January 31.
The four segment requirement has been removed for AA, but not for BAEC (on BA).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have moved recent posts about Lounge Access to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2018-a.html.

Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by vtbobf
... I did just do one of the AA credit card bonus's recently...

1. i am trying to fly BTV to CVG (or DAY) roundrip anytime next week. I prefer first but beggars and all. I found Saver avaiability on the AA site and my understanding one was I could book it cheaper through british airways. I went to search the route and no dice thoughts?
Don't know about not seeing the flights on BA, but since BA prices awards by segment and BTV-CVG or DAY would involve at least two segments, it's unlikely that you would be able to book it cheaper using BA Avios. However, AA offers most (all?) of their credit cards holders discounts on awards to/from select cities that vary each month. DAY is eligible for a discount of up to 7,500 miles roundtrip, depending on the type of AA credit card, during May-July. You can see the info for AA Reduced Mileage Awards here.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Hi. For award travel on LATAM Buenos Aires to Santiago is it 6k between Argentina and Chile?

Best cash fare I can find is 483NZD for this airline between these city pairs. I see there's KLM for 283.

The award chart says "wholly within" Argentina 6k, Chile 6k, Brazil 7.5k. Although my city pairs are between these countries I'm guessing it would still cost 6k AA miles for an award? And if I were to fly between Chile and Brazil I'm guessing I would pay the higher 7.5k.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Hi. For award travel on LATAM Buenos Aires to Santiago is it 6k between Argentina and Chile?

Best cash fare I can find is 483NZD for this airline between these city pairs. I see there's KLM for 283.

The award chart says "wholly within" Argentina 6k, Chile 6k, Brazil 7.5k. Although my city pairs are between these countries I'm guessing it would still cost 6k AA miles for an award? And if I were to fly between Chile and Brazil I'm guessing I would pay the higher 7.5k.
No: the special "wholly within" award rates are valid only for travel wholly within a single country.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We were on AA 2577 in F earlier today MIA-DFW and I noticed something rather interesting with regard to the IFE video system....or lack of.

Equipment was a B757-223 in international configuration with lie-flat sleeper seats. The hardware in the front cabin looked updated and fairly new.

Upon taking our seats (2E and 2F), I noticed there were no seatback monitors - only a rectangular cutouts with electrical sockets plus what appeared to be smaller mounting brackets inside of the rectangular cutouts. I asked the flight attendant about this and did not get much of an answer.

The flight had music channels but no video whatsoever. Anybody have any idea what we were looking at with regard to the rectangular areas in the seatbacks in front of us?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
We were on AA 2577 in F earlier today MIA-DFW and I noticed something rather interesting with regard to the IFE video system....or lack of.

Equipment was a B757-223 in international configuration with lie-flat sleeper seats. The hardware in the front cabin looked updated and fairly new.

Upon taking our seats (2E and 2F), I noticed there were no seatback monitors - only a rectangular cutouts with electrical sockets plus what appeared to be smaller mounting brackets inside of the rectangular cutouts. I asked the flight attendant about this and did not get much of an answer.

The flight had music channels but no video whatsoever. Anybody have any idea what we were looking at with regard to the rectangular areas in the seatbacks in front of us?
It sounds a bit like the mounts for tablets that AA sometimes provides with pre-loaded IFE.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by jlemon

Yes, it was likely a tablet holder -- usually for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 or similar. Surprising there were no tablets, but I don't know if they are only given on international routes.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
As you have been told, request the red International to International tags on your baggage upon check-in (not every agent may know about the possibility to do that on ITI via DFW and MIA.) I’d also recommend printing out a page with your light’s compliance information, because ITI DOESN’T mean the bag may not be screened and searched by someone who is clueless.

If pissible, I recommend hand carrying your computer and regulator components (I usually remove the hoses and pack them with a tool to reattach easily), as thieves can still target valuables whilst the bag is in transit - and if you’re like me, I prefer not using others’ refs and computer. (In Miami I actually had a TSA agent steal an item from my dive bag even though the inspection line was visible by passengers and I didn’t leave the area until our dive bags had been passed on. )

P.S. for some good diving, it’s hard to beat Aldora Divers in Cozumel - fast six packs, matched for skills and experience divets, DIN conversions, steel tanks, reliable and uncrowded diving.
I see now your message, many thanks and sorry for the late reply!

I can say that MXP staff tagged ITI all of our bags and we found AA W very reasonable for a day flight... unlike economy that looks really, really ugly.
Lights with lithium batteries must be carried on... in the end I decided not to risk it and brought only a backup. TSA did open my diving gear suitcase and left their note, no stolen items though (fortunately!). We didn't had to collect luggage at MIA and just had to go through security, as all of you have said.

// Actually we did a week near Akumal then four days in Cozumel. Dived with Scuba Shack though... and caught two days of closed harbor due to Norte =(

Happy flying to all and thanks again for the help, I'm moving to lurk QR sub!
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Yes, it was likely a tablet holder -- usually for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 or similar. Surprising there were no tablets, but I don't know if they are only given on international routes.
We had an ORD-MIA flight which had the holders but no tablets.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx

They're tablet holders. I've read in a dew different places now that the tablets are not issued when those planes are used domestically.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
They're tablet holders. I've read in a dew different places now that the tablets are not issued when those planes are used domestically.
That's mildly annoying, but I guess it makes sense. It's interesting the FAs didn't know what they were though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.