Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:43 pm

What are the chances of getting upgraded for a platinum (using 500-mile upgrades) on the Sunday red-eye SFO to JFK? I'll be flying on September 30th on AA 276. Is the Sunday night redeye generally very popular for elites?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Red259
I have a 1:30am flight out of JFK on CX in F. I would have access to the AA flagship lounge. It seems it closes at 11:15pm (although the CX says 01:30+ which makes more sense) which would be well before boarding time. Anyone know for sure?

Update: while searching google it claims the closure time is 11:15 when I search through the AA website it says 1am, which is much more logical. Are the flagship dining hours more limited?
Have you called AA Admirals Club (1-800-237-7971) or sent a DM to the Twitter team?

Originally Posted by LamboJ
What are the chances of getting upgraded for a platinum (using 500-mile upgrades) on the Sunday red-eye SFO to JFK? I'll be flying on September 30th on AA 276. Is the Sunday night redeye generally very popular for elites?
Probably not high. But read https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html for more information.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
For anyone that has been in the ORD Flagship lounge on a Saturday mid afternoon. How crowded is it?. I know it can change, but on average? Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: IB+ SLVR, OW RUBY
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I recently did a MAD to DFW on a Dreamliner (AA37).
I'm about to book the same route again but I see that plane is now a 777.
How can I know what kind of seats I'll get on Economy prior to booking?

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by order666
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I recently did a MAD to DFW on a Dreamliner (AA37).
I'm about to book the same route again but I see that plane is now a 777.
How can I know what kind of seats I'll get on Economy prior to booking?

Thanks!
Welcome to FT. There are dedicated threads on here for each type of aircraft/class, check the sticky welcome threads at the top. And you can always do a Google Image search to see lots of pics and trip reports. But to answer your question, in economy, the seat on the 787 and 777 are very similar.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: IB+ SLVR, OW RUBY
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. There are dedicated threads on here for each type of aircraft/class, check the sticky welcome threads at the top. And you can always do a Google Image search to see lots of pics and trip reports. But to answer your question, in economy, the seat on the 787 and 777 are very similar.
thank you!
I will take a look at the stickies.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Also, FWIW as someone that does that flight often in Y, I'm very happy this is going to a 777 as the seats are a bit wider.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Platnium
I'm flying Thursday and as luck would have it (for now), I land and take off out of Terminal D at DFW. I finally get to access the lounge area (usually going to mexico and caribbean so no access even if first class) since I'm going to Belize. BUT the lounge is closed in D. I read a temporary was opened to have one on each concourse. Has anyone been to that one? I have time if I need to go to another terminal but would prefer to stay in D if possible.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Check these threads.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...e-changes.html

Guide to Lounge Changes: Flagship Lounge, Admirals Club, etc.

Supposedly the temp D lounge isn't great but another data point would be helpful.

We haven't had much in the way of first hand reports since this all happened in the last couple days.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Platnium
Helpful threads. Thank you. I will report back as well. I may be hoofing it over to a different one because 4 hour layover requires a cocktail :-)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:39 am

I recently booked a paid fare in economy then called in to upgrade with miles. The process was pretty easy since I had checked to see if award space was available before booking the paid fare. I'm not sure if that's the best indicator of whether or not upgrade with miles space is available, but it worked for me. Anyway since I got my reservation ticketed I noticed I still haven't been charged the $75 and 15,000 (just a domestic upgrade) for the upgrade. Do these charges normally take place at the time of booking the upgrade or on the day of the flight? My ticket is listed as "ticketed" in my AAdvantage account and my seat is in first class. I just want to make sure there won't be any surprises on the day of the flight if I go to check in and all of the sudden I'm back in economy. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
I recently booked a paid fare in economy then called in to upgrade with miles. The process was pretty easy since I had checked to see if award space was available before booking the paid fare. I'm not sure if that's the best indicator of whether or not upgrade with miles space is available, but it worked for me. Anyway since I got my reservation ticketed I noticed I still haven't been charged the $75 and 15,000 (just a domestic upgrade) for the upgrade. Do these charges normally take place at the time of booking the upgrade or on the day of the flight? My ticket is listed as "ticketed" in my AAdvantage account and my seat is in first class. I just want to make sure there won't be any surprises on the day of the flight if I go to check in and all of the sudden I'm back in economy. Thanks in advance for any advice!
It will go through. Sometimes it takes a little bit.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
I would for sure call back and check the status. One time my CC blocked the charge because the agent typed in my address info wrong. I noticed the charge dint hit so I called back and was able to clear it up.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by AAdamE
I would for sure call back and check the status. One time my CC blocked the charge because the agent typed in my address info wrong. I noticed the charge dint hit so I called back and was able to clear it up.
Did you have a seat ticketed before you called? I'm showing as ticketed and the seat is blocked out on the seat map.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:54 am

Hi,

I have an upcoming AA codeshare flight on JAL metal (LAX-NRT) in Q class and was wondering if I can credit the miles to AS
According to https://www.wheretocredit.com/american-airlines/q I can get 25% of miles in AS but only 5 miles/$ in AA
I am not sure if this applies to AA-codeshare flights though. I am just looking to maximize the miles earned as I am not a status in either AA or AS.

P.S. - Just checked the LAX-NRT distance and it is 5400 miles which means that it may be a wash between 25% or 5 miles/$
But it would still be good to know my options

Thanks !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.