Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Systemwide Upgrade Giveaway
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

NOTE: This is the archived thread of obsolete SWU giveaway posts. Please see the current thread:
SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo).

Members who do not read and follow these rules will have their posts summarily deleted.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."

• Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, BA Silver
I paid it recently and it was 83.99 GBP on Jan 18 to be specific.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by quentinr
I paid it recently and it was 83.99 GBP on Jan 18 to be specific.
I assume if you were gifted a SWU, you don't have to pay the APD until you get to the airport to check in?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, BA Silver
Actually that flight had C availability so I just paid over the phone when asking for the SWU to be applied.

I *think* otherwise they just take your CC number and charge it when/if you are confirmed.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I assume if you were gifted a SWU, you don't have to pay the APD until you get to the airport to check in?
You have to pay it for ticket to be issued.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
You can always bridge a third person into the call to have them give credit card info over the phone...
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by billgrates3
p.s. When I recently gave an SWU to a fellow FTer, there was an APD of $103, but I wasn't sure what the equivalent GBP rate was that day... I'm guessing 85GBP.
That likely would have been £73 plus PFC (at today's rate, £73=$91.62). (Though iirc APD for J and F to USA should be £146, the OP had already paid the Discounted APD rate, so the difference between Discounted and Standard rates was due.)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 9.9MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Offering 4 SWUs expiring 2/28 to a good home, preference going to the first person that can use all four on the same record locator. If not, will give them to the first two people that can use two SWUs each on the same record locators. Just trying to limit the number of calls I make to AA from overseas.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by melkor
You can always bridge a third person into the call to have them give credit card info over the phone...
and that's exactly what quentinr and I did...

Originally Posted by billgrates3
I didn't do much paid travel last year, so I will have from 2 to 4 SWUs to give away. Since I've been in the non-profit sphere for >10 years now, I will give priority to any FTers who also work for a non-profit.
In any case, PM me and I'll create my own sort of PALL list to see who will get the SWUs.
Sorry folks, my extra SWUs are all gone (but I'm still getting requests every day).

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 29, 2017 at 9:36 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Southwest CP/A & Hyatt Globalist - love both of these companies!
Bill delete your original post man. Thanks for being cool enough to even offer in the first place. You don't need to be barraged now.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 9.9MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thus far I have three SWUs that are confirmed, and two more that are waitlisted, so not offering any more at this time until I know if the remaining SWUs cleared. I will relist remaining SWUs in a week for those that have not cleared. Thanks to everyone that participated, and apologies for those I did not respond to, I went in order of requests received.

Originally Posted by Rasalon
Offering 4 SWUs expiring 2/28 to a good home, preference going to the first person that can use all four on the same record locator. If not, will give them to the first two people that can use two SWUs each on the same record locators. Just trying to limit the number of calls I make to AA from overseas.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:38 pm

Offering 4 SWUs expiring 2/28 FCFS. Please PM me, if interested.

Originally Posted by kirfan
Offering 4 SWUs expiring 2/28 FCFS. Please PM me, if interested.
Thanks to those that PMed me. I have given away the SWUs. I may have 2 more to give away after the 6th. Will repost, if available.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 1, 2017 at 1:52 pm Reason: Merge posts after SWU are taken
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I have some SWUs available, expiring Feb 28.

For now, I have 4 available and would like to minimize my PMs and calls to AA, so whoever can confirm all 4 will have the highest priority.

Please PM me.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:27 pm

Thanks very much to MsEverywhere and kirfan!

Last edited by ShortDog; Feb 2, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I still have 4 available and would like to minimize my PMs and calls to AA, so whoever can confirm all 4 will have the highest priority.

Please PM me.
I received a PM from ngls but was unable to reply. For those who PM me, please include name, dates, PNR, and cell phone to minimize PMs back and forth.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: RAM Gold, UA PLT, NEXUS.
I have unused SWUs expiring end of this month. I would be happy to help you upgraded using them. If interested, please let me know.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.