Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Systemwide Upgrade Giveaway
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

NOTE: This is the archived thread of obsolete SWU giveaway posts. Please see the current thread:
SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo).

Members who do not read and follow these rules will have their posts summarily deleted.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily removed (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."

• Asking for SWU passes is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.

• In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.

• Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.

• Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).

• Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty).

• This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)

• If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt

Hi,

Due to some circumstances, I've left the states and I can't really effectively use SWUs from outside the USA. If anyone has any ideas on how to use them efficiently outside the usa from KUL, please let me know. AFAIK, AA only flies from HKG or NRT and not KUL or SIN.

Therefore, I've got one SWU to give away.

I saw another thread on this but it said expiring Feb 2016 and not Feb 2017 so I'm making this post separately.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Dibs on the SWU
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by madguy2
Hi,

Due to some circumstances, I've left the states and I can't really effectively use SWUs from outside the USA. If anyone has any ideas on how to use them efficiently outside the usa from KUL, please let me know. AFAIK, AA only flies from HKG or NRT and not KUL or SIN.

Therefore, I've got one SWU to give away.

I saw another thread on this but it said expiring Feb 2016 and not Feb 2017 so I'm making this post separately.
Besides HKG and NRT, AA metal also flies to PEK, PVG, and ICN, all of which might be easier to use your SWU(s) on given lower premium cabin demand than HKG or NRT.

That said, if you don't have homes for your upgrades, as a fellow (part-time) KUL-based traveler, I wouldn't mind accepting one or two!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Others have beat me to it, but is love an SWU.

That being said, the previous poster is right, you can use them from several cities. It just takes a positioning flight.

You might even be able to use iron KUL-HKG-DFW with KUL-Hkg an AA codeshare on CX metal and Hkg -DFW on AA metsl. You'd only get upgrades on the transpacific portion but that's the big segment.

The advantage of this is that you'll get your bags checked all the way through, in spite of CXs new baggage interlude policy on separate tickets.

Similar options might exist from the other places mentioned.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Besides the other Asian AA cities mentione above, AA flies to SYD and AKL and so you may be able to connect to these cities on a OW partner like Malaysian Airlines and continue onward on AA and still use your SWU.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
Sydney would be a nice stopover too since I get access to the Qantas first lounge. However, ticket prices from KUL to syd are about myr2000/usd500 and then I have to pay about usd1800+ for a syd-dfw ticket. There is no AA ticket that goes kul-syd-dfw AFAIK.

It's not too bad but I have lived in the usa for quite a while and visited everywhere I've wanted to go in the usa. Maybe except new orleans.

I've sent a message to the fellow KUL FTer. If he doesn't respond, I'll go down the list.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:01 pm

I'll queue up!
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:35 pm

Doing LAX-NRT soon so I don't mind being in line either Thanks for the chance.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
well put me in line even though I am like 6th. lol
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those not familiar with the term "SWU give away":

SWUs cannot be "given away" to someone without a specific use for one at that time, since it's not an actual transfer of an SWU from one account to another account (AA does not support that).

The "give away" process involves the person with the SWU calling up AA and asking that the SWU be applied to the recipient's flight, giving the name of the traveler and the flight information. So the process is that the recipient has to provide the giver with all that info.

And, obviously, the SWU could end up being "wasted" if it's applied to a flight which has no upgrade availability at that time and no upgrade availability ever opens up. (I think if it hadn't expired yet it would return / remain to the owner's account, at that point.)
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
For those not familiar with the term "SWU give away":

SWUs cannot be "given away" to someone without a specific use for one at that time, since it's not an actual transfer of an SWU from one account to another account (AA does not support that).

The "give away" process involves the person with the SWU calling up AA and asking that the SWU be applied to the recipient's flight, giving the name of the traveler and the flight information. So the process is that the recipient has to provide the giver with all that info.

And, obviously, the SWU could end up being "wasted" if it's applied to a flight which has no upgrade availability at that time and no upgrade availability ever opens up. (I think if it hadn't expired yet it would return / remain to the owner's account, at that point.)

I'm still in. Got three transatlantic RT flights from now until December. I'm sure one of them has availability.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:50 pm

Doing jfk-cdg on monday so if you have no takers by then would gladly use it either way, very generous of you to offer this up here
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
This offer was way too generous for me not to finally get an account (been an avid reader since I started flying a lot again this year). A Plat on the way to Explat hopefully this year, I have a SIN by way of HKG trip late September if you still have the SWUs unused. Thanks for the generous offer regardless.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by schertz
This offer was way too generous for me not to finally get an account (been an avid reader since I started flying a lot again this year). A Plat on the way to Explat hopefully this year, I have a SIN by way of HKG trip late September if you still have the SWUs unused. Thanks for the generous offer regardless.
ROFL! and welcome down from lurker space!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
ROFL! and welcome down from lurker space!

Thanks! Lot's of good info here, glad to become a part of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.