FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1871975-archive-swu-giveaway-strictly-freely-given-no-quid-pro-quo.html)

madguy2 Jun 13, 16 2:44 pm

ARCHIVE: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)

Hi,

Due to some circumstances, I've left the states and I can't really effectively use SWUs from outside the USA. If anyone has any ideas on how to use them efficiently outside the usa from KUL, please let me know. AFAIK, AA only flies from HKG or NRT and not KUL or SIN.

Therefore, I've got one SWU to give away.

I saw another thread on this but it said expiring Feb 2016 and not Feb 2017 so I'm making this post separately.

beershack Jun 13, 16 2:52 pm

Dibs on the SWU :)

dkc192 Jun 13, 16 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by madguy2 (Post 26772958)
Hi,

Due to some circumstances, I've left the states and I can't really effectively use SWUs from outside the USA. If anyone has any ideas on how to use them efficiently outside the usa from KUL, please let me know. AFAIK, AA only flies from HKG or NRT and not KUL or SIN.

Therefore, I've got one SWU to give away.

I saw another thread on this but it said expiring Feb 2016 and not Feb 2017 so I'm making this post separately.

Besides HKG and NRT, AA metal also flies to PEK, PVG, and ICN, all of which might be easier to use your SWU(s) on given lower premium cabin demand than HKG or NRT.

That said, if you don't have homes for your upgrades, as a fellow (part-time) KUL-based traveler, I wouldn't mind accepting one or two!

beachfan Jun 13, 16 4:11 pm

Others have beat me to it, but is love an SWU.

That being said, the previous poster is right, you can use them from several cities. It just takes a positioning flight.

You might even be able to use iron KUL-HKG-DFW with KUL-Hkg an AA codeshare on CX metal and Hkg -DFW on AA metsl. You'd only get upgrades on the transpacific portion but that's the big segment.

The advantage of this is that you'll get your bags checked all the way through, in spite of CXs new baggage interlude policy on separate tickets.

Similar options might exist from the other places mentioned.

Time traveller Jun 15, 16 4:17 pm

Besides the other Asian AA cities mentione above, AA flies to SYD and AKL and so you may be able to connect to these cities on a OW partner like Malaysian Airlines and continue onward on AA and still use your SWU.

madguy2 Jun 15, 16 5:52 pm

Sydney would be a nice stopover too since I get access to the Qantas first lounge. However, ticket prices from KUL to syd are about myr2000/usd500 and then I have to pay about usd1800+ for a syd-dfw ticket. There is no AA ticket that goes kul-syd-dfw AFAIK.

It's not too bad but I have lived in the usa for quite a while and visited everywhere I've wanted to go in the usa. Maybe except new orleans.

I've sent a message to the fellow KUL FTer. If he doesn't respond, I'll go down the list.

Alfonso XIV Jun 15, 16 6:01 pm

I'll queue up!

oaken Jun 15, 16 6:35 pm

Doing LAX-NRT soon so I don't mind being in line either :) Thanks for the chance.

conklaven Jun 16, 16 9:55 am

well put me in line even though I am like 6th. lol

sdsearch Jun 16, 16 3:33 pm

For those not familiar with the term "SWU give away":

SWUs cannot be "given away" to someone without a specific use for one at that time, since it's not an actual transfer of an SWU from one account to another account (AA does not support that).

The "give away" process involves the person with the SWU calling up AA and asking that the SWU be applied to the recipient's flight, giving the name of the traveler and the flight information. So the process is that the recipient has to provide the giver with all that info.

And, obviously, the SWU could end up being "wasted" if it's applied to a flight which has no upgrade availability at that time and no upgrade availability ever opens up. (I think if it hadn't expired yet it would return / remain to the owner's account, at that point.)

conklaven Jun 16, 16 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26788918)
For those not familiar with the term "SWU give away":

SWUs cannot be "given away" to someone without a specific use for one at that time, since it's not an actual transfer of an SWU from one account to another account (AA does not support that).

The "give away" process involves the person with the SWU calling up AA and asking that the SWU be applied to the recipient's flight, giving the name of the traveler and the flight information. So the process is that the recipient has to provide the giver with all that info.

And, obviously, the SWU could end up being "wasted" if it's applied to a flight which has no upgrade availability at that time and no upgrade availability ever opens up. (I think if it hadn't expired yet it would return / remain to the owner's account, at that point.)

I'm still in. Got three transatlantic RT flights from now until December. I'm sure one of them has availability.

mike84k Jun 16, 16 5:50 pm

Doing jfk-cdg on monday so if you have no takers by then would gladly use it :) either way, very generous of you to offer this up here

schertz Jun 16, 16 7:32 pm

This offer was way too generous for me not to finally get an account (been an avid reader since I started flying a lot again this year). A Plat on the way to Explat hopefully this year, I have a SIN by way of HKG trip late September if you still have the SWUs unused. Thanks for the generous offer regardless.

JDiver Jun 16, 16 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by schertz (Post 26789816)
This offer was way too generous for me not to finally get an account (been an avid reader since I started flying a lot again this year). A Plat on the way to Explat hopefully this year, I have a SIN by way of HKG trip late September if you still have the SWUs unused. Thanks for the generous offer regardless.

ROFL! and welcome down from lurker space! :)

schertz Jun 17, 16 11:43 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26789918)
ROFL! and welcome down from lurker space! :)

Thanks! Lot's of good info here, glad to become a part of it.