Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LGA: All AA Flight Consolidation to Terminal B 9 Dec 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: controller1
Move to LGA Terminal B Confirmed for December 9, 2017

Press release: http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr....z6jYg7OL.mjjo
Print Wikipost

LGA: All AA Flight Consolidation to Terminal B 9 Dec 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayer
Getting either at LGA is a pain. There I've stopped trying. The cab line is usually faster and less confusing.
The cab line at Terminal B can be a half hour. Not sure whether that's any faster than the remote pickup; I've yet to do that.

Here's a whole thread on the ground situation in the NYC forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...le-pickup.html
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by ty97
I don't see it as a step up for AA travelers, overall, but I don't see a huge step down either. Right now, AA is in three separate secure areas. According to this rumored change, AA would still be in three separate secure areas.
True, from this perspective it's a push or slightly better since you can't accidentally go to the wrong terminal, but...

The downsides I see are:
- Terminal C travelers will be in a worse terminal, with limited and worse concession options, and possibly be in a separate secure area from the AC versus today.
- Depending on the final gate breakdown *IF* AA has to increase busing to planes, that would be bad.
- The AC in B will get more crowded
All of these are pretty bad with no real upside.

Moreover, the car service restrictions in the Central Terminal Building (and associated long taxi lines) mean that AA fliers are now basically guaranteed a much worse arrival experience unless they drive themselves.

I forgot about what a debacle arriving into the CTB was and accidentally ended up there on a recent trip. I will definitely choose a different airport or airline to avoid landing there, even if it costs any money, until the construction is complete.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Score8
As a BOS-LGA shuttle rider, this sounds more than a just a little worse:
1. TSA in C is fine/good, particularly if you have Clear.
FWIW, my periodic experience in concourse A of Terminal B (the JetBlue gates) is that PreCheck seems to never be open. There's not usually that much of a line though, but still annoying to have to take out the laptop.

I guess it's unclear whether the AA shuttle flights will specifically move to the A concourse, the C or D concourse, or be random.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by jordyn
All of these are pretty bad with no real upside.

Moreover, the car service restrictions in the Central Terminal Building (and associated long taxi lines) mean that AA fliers are now basically guaranteed a much worse arrival experience unless they drive themselves.

I forgot about what a debacle arriving into the CTB was and accidentally ended up there on a recent trip. I will definitely choose a different airport or airline to avoid landing there, even if it costs any money, until the construction is complete.
Fair, there's really no upside (except for AA I guess, since they can consolidate check-in, etc). I'm normally in the AC (in either B or C) and I generally use public transportation to/from LGA, so the pain points probably aren't keying for me the way for others because they don't impact me as much as others. But definitely agree there's no real positive for informed, frequent travelers.
JonNYC and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:28 pm

As a BOS-LGA shuttle rider, this sounds more than a just a little worse:
1. TSA in C is fine/good, particularly if you have Clear.
2. Food in C is decent and varied (beer is pretty good too), B much less so.
3. A more crowded AC will simply mean less customer service at the desk.
4. If there are ride-share restrictions in B, that totally sucks. I've never had trouble getting a Lyft at terminal C other than a bit of a wait or a miscommunication that they want to pick me up at departures rather than arrivals.
agreed, this imo is a huge downgrade for AA. Flying to ORD this weekend. Going to hate the ride share restrictions and the taxi line.

Really disappointing.

On another note, another sign AA is not putting out any effort in NYC.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Last edited by tphuang; Oct 16, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
I think more a sign that they don't care about customer experience. But this assumes that they had significant choice in the matter, which I don't think we necessarily know here.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tphuang
agreed, this imo is a huge downgrade for AA. Flying to ORD this weekend. Going to hate the ride share restrictions and the taxi line.

Really disappointing.

Yup....
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I think more a sign that they don't care about customer experience. But this assumes that they had significant choice in the matter, which I don't think we necessarily know here.
The Shuttle, from what I understand, is among the more profitable routes for AA and other airlines where many folks will shell out good money for a short route and who are ambivalent towards which airline they take. I know a few folks who will book Delta instead of AA if the time suits - even by 30 minutes. If TSA and other terminal related issues are as bad as we suspect, it will potentially affect the bottom line in a meaningful way as that will undoubtedly sway travel choices. That said, I've seen prices go down for shuttle flights in a meaningful way recently, and perhaps there is less meat on the bone on this route.

I do wish that my travel allowed me to fly JetBlue. I just can't get to where I need to go, and in my experience IRROPS can cascade into days lost. It's just so much less of a stupid game between the airline and loyal passengers.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
That said, I've seen prices go down for shuttle flights in a meaningful way recently, and perhaps there is less meat on the bone on this route.
There is a lot of competition on the shuttles, especially with Jet Blue entering. Shuttle pricing is now similar to New York hotel prices, which can be very cheap or very expensive depending on the timing. The problem is that airlines like United, Delta, AA can't not fly the routes as business travelers want them.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat/2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist. PA WorldPass
Was in the LGA Terminal C club this morning and the agent confirmed that AA most definitely will be moving to the main terminal in December. Her words: "It's definitely not a rumor--just a question of timing. We're being kicked out."
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Per AA:

http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr....z6jYg7OL.mjjo
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Alaska FF
According to a post on A-net, JetBlue sent a letter to its employees stating that AA, Delta, and the PA will be paying for JetBlue and the others to move to the MAT. That doesn't sound like AA did not have a choice.

It was a good choice too. The new B will offer the best customer experience at LGA.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
According to a post on A-net, JetBlue sent a letter to its employees stating that AA, Delta, and the PA will be paying for JetBlue and the others to move to the MAT. That doesn't sound like AA did not have a choice.

It was a good choice too. The new B will offer the best customer experience at LGA.
Why will the new B be better than then new Delta terminal? How is it going to be better than MAT, for that matter?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:36 pm
Suspended

So it's apparent we're now down to one Admirals Club, and a total of 20 gates moving forward. The AC is going to be a madhouse
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Why will the new B be better than then new Delta terminal? How is it going to be better than MAT, for that matter?
There's a schedule (and current construction) to rebuild B. While there are plans to rebuild C/D, I haven't heard anything about a schedule on that and sense (though this is guessing) that it may not happen until after Terminal B is complete. Terminal B will be far better than MAT for facilities, etc. (Obviously the argument about location and ease of use for MAT will continue).

And note that Jetblue, in its press release, plans to move back to B from MAT post-construction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.