FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1851835-archive-changing-ffn-frequent-flyer-number-aa-bookings.html)

iahphx Sep 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Similar question: I booked an AA flight on AA.com and entered in my Qantas number (elite status) to get the seats I wanted. But I want to accrue AA miles -- but keep my preferred seats. If I switch the ff numbers to AAdvantage (I assume I can figure out a way to do this), will I be allowed to keep the preferred seats without a fee?

Thanks.

beardoc Sep 27, 2015 5:46 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 25471232)
I have a AA ticket with my BAEC number currently in it. Since I'm doing a status challenge with AA, I should be able to change the FFN to my AA one at the airport, right? I would assume so. I don't want to call in yet as I'm unsure if I will need those flights on my BA or AA FF account.

It's usually not a problem if you change it over prior to flying! Although a couple of times I've done that and the booking has still credited to BAEC - calling BAEC then to negate the flights in BAEC so you can retrospectively claim credit in AA isn't hard, it's just slow.

mikelat Sep 27, 2015 11:52 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 25483150)
Similar question: I booked an AA flight on AA.com and entered in my Qantas number (elite status) to get the seats I wanted. But I want to accrue AA miles -- but keep my preferred seats. If I switch the ff numbers to AAdvantage (I assume I can figure out a way to do this), will I be allowed to keep the preferred seats without a fee?

Thanks.

The benefits you get *should* be the ones according to the program you are using. I bet there are ways to switch and have it work, but in other threads (which I am admittedly not interested in searching for right now :)), there has been mention that to get benefits afforded by FFP X, you need to credit the flight to that FFP X. And it seems like either AA is monitoring this more closely recently or possibly that more folks are trying to do it and failing and posting about it.

kulflyer Sep 28, 2015 9:00 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 25483150)

Thanks.

I did the opposite. Redeemed Avios then switched the FFP to AA and was allowed to reserve MCE seats.

iahphx Sep 28, 2015 11:39 am

Originally Posted by danielchee (Post 25488647)
I did the opposite. Redeemed Avios then switched the FFP to AA and was allowed to reserve MCE seats.

Yeah, free tickets are no problem. I "buy" Avios award tickets for AA/US travel all the time and use my Qantas status for the benefits. No problem because I'm not earning any mileage.

Here, though, on an AA revenue ticket I want both the premium seat assignments (through my Qantas status) AND the mileage (through AAdvantage). Now that I have my MCE seats reserved, can I switch my ff number (I assume there's a way to do that) without losing the free MCE seats?

kulflyer Sep 28, 2015 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 25489350)
Yeah, free tickets are no problem. I "buy" Avios award tickets for AA/US travel all the time and use my Qantas status for the benefits. No problem because I'm not earning any mileage.

Here, though, on an AA revenue ticket I want both the premium seat assignments (through my Qantas status) AND the mileage (through AAdvantage). Now that I have my MCE seats reserved, can I switch my ff number (I assume there's a way to do that) without losing the free MCE seats?

You won't know until you try. I don't think anyone here can give you a definite answer.

pinniped Sep 28, 2015 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by danielchee (Post 25488647)

Have you (or anyone) been able to do this online? I've done it in the past, but only by calling (which is obviously a royal pain and not even possible at times).

kulflyer Sep 28, 2015 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 25490118)
Have you (or anyone) been able to do this online? I've done it in the past, but only by calling (which is obviously a royal pain and not even possible at times).

I did it by tweeting the AA team. Sent them the BA locator and they look up the AA locator, switch the FFP number and off I go.

wandering_fred Sep 28, 2015 7:03 pm

There comes a point when seat selection is totally open. With AA I think that is T-24. Switch you FF program and number at the airport check-on. Guaranteed to work... And not a big deal if dropping off luggage,

Happy wandering

Fred

serfty Sep 29, 2015 2:41 am

Originally Posted by danielchee (Post 25490077)
You won't know until you try. I don't think anyone here can give you a definite answer.

I have done this quite a few times- moreso in the days when the cheapest AA fare buckets would not earn with QF.

I'd switch to AAdvantage using the AAngels in the lounges; ensuring the AA number was on the BP.

One time in the F/L at LAX I was handed both BP's back with the advise to use the 'EMERALD' BP to board.

Development Jan 7, 2016 8:56 pm

Why isnt this simply a feature on aa.com - seems absurd! I am on the phone trying to simply change from AA FF to BA number on a reservation that hasnt yet been flown, the agent is taking over 15 minutes and has had to call the helpdesk twice.

Jrap33 Mar 17, 2016 2:59 am

qf ow sapphire vs aa oneworld gold

JFK-GIG confirmed in J using SWU from a friend who is EP. any thoughts?

edit title: "vs aa oneworld ruby"

RogerD408 Mar 17, 2016 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Jrap33 (Post 26344748)
JFK-GIG confirmed in J using SWU from a friend who is EP. any thoughts?

edit title: "vs aa oneworld ruby"

Besides "nice friend"?

Depends upon what the question is...

The flyer's FF number is all that matters for the flight. If AA has your AA number on record, you may have to wait until at the gate to change to another program.

progapanda Mar 18, 2016 8:15 pm

IME, yes. However, if there's any kind of schedule or equipment change you may lose that MCE seat.

Now that I have my MCE seats reserved, can I switch my ff number (I assume there's a way to do that) without losing the free MCE seats?

sinus Apr 26, 2016 9:05 am

I have an AA booking made on their webpage when logged on to my AAdvantage profile so it has the AA FFP number. I want to put the miles to BA, but the option to change the number is greyed out. Is it possible to change it during OLCI or only at the airport check-in or by calling AA?