FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1851835-archive-changing-ffn-frequent-flyer-number-aa-bookings.html)

Pinned Jun 15, 2015 9:58 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 24973028)
If you have any benefits granted due to existing program (using miles, getting an upgrade, etc.) then changing the FF number should not be allowed. There needs to be a tie back to the account and the systems do not have the ability to say pay for this benefit with x, pay for that benefit with y, but credit to z. This is such a corner case to not be surprised it's not allowed.

You might be able to flash your membership at the airport to get early boarding or maybe a better seat selection. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

I'm not receiving any benefits from the AA program, but on one of the reservations I did spend AA miles to upgrade. I just want to credit the flight to my Alaska account and not my AA account. I guess I could try changing this at the airport - but I'm having trouble figuring out if this is possible or against some sort of rule.

JonNYC Jun 15, 2015 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Pinned (Post 24973044)
I'm not receiving any benefits from the AA program, but on one of the reservations I did spend AA miles to upgrade. I just want to credit the flight to my Alaska account and not my AA account. I guess I could try changing this at the airport - but I'm having trouble figuring out if this is possible or against some sort of rule.

I think it's discouraged. The AA miles used to upgrade most definitely is/are "receiving any benefits from the AA program"

RogerD408 Jun 15, 2015 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Pinned (Post 24973044)

Yes, you are using AA benefits at least on the flight you used miles to upgrade. I can see them not wanting to change your FF number just in case there is an issue with the flight and there is a need to process a refund or maybe grant additional points for a service issue. Granted these are corner cases and not an everyday event.

Schedule a little extra time at the gate and politely ask the GA if s/he could make the change. Figuring out which program offers the best perks is totally subjective and may even differ from one trip to the next.

Pinned Jun 15, 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24973353)
I think it's discouraged. The AA miles used to upgrade most definitely is/are "receiving any benefits from the AA program"

Gotcha - I assumed this was more of a form of payment than a benefit. I guess I'll ask at the AC and see if they'll allow it. I just don't want to negatively affect the seat assignments / upgrades.

JonNYC Jun 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pinned (Post 24974105)
Gotcha - I assumed this was more of a form of payment than a benefit. I guess I'll ask at the AC and see if they'll allow it. I just don't want to negatively affect the seat assignments / upgrades.

For sure, and assuming that -are- willing to do it (and you're willing to deal with any mess after (miles not credited or whatever)) no repercussions in terms of AAdv rules, etc. (in case I implied otherwise.)

Potreroflyr Jun 15, 2015 2:10 pm

I get that I'm receiving a "benefit" when using EXP unlimited segment upgrades. But I don't see why using miles to upgrade should lock you into crediting to AA. I'm allowed to "gift" an identical miles upgrade to anyone on an AA ticket, regardless of where they are crediting the miles, correct? :confused:

And to the OP: I've had sporadic luck changing FF#s. Some agents are wiling to try. The sure-fire way is to book the flight without logging in and without inputting your AA number. You can add any number later.

drvannostren Jul 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Don't wanna revive a dead thread, but before I spend like 20+ minutes waiting on hold I'll ask...

I've got 2 bookings, 1 made on flighthub, 1 made directly on AA.com, I added my AS number (because at the time I thought it would be a good idea to credit there) but now I want to change it to my AA number. In the passenger information the frequent flyer numbers are greyed out, can't change em, or so it seems. I wanna make sure they credit to AA and I'll be doing a status challenge for the December flight so it's extra critical that one credits properly.

Do I have to phone? Assuming I do, that's something they can do right? Any other way to do this or am I hooped?

progapanda Jul 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 25156914)
Do I have to phone? Assuming I do, that's something they can do right?

Yes. Although the last time I did this I had to HUCA the first time but the second agent could switch the FF# on an Aadvantage award redeemed from my account to my AS FF# pretty easily (for free MCE). Switching from AS to AA FF# should be similarly easy.

whadzinaname Jul 22, 2015 6:20 pm

AA No Status + BA Silver Status (change FFN on AA award booking?)

Hello all,

I have a unique situation and was wondering if someone can provide some insight.

I used to travel on and off for business many years back on US Airways and accumulated about 50k miles there with no status. Those miles were just converted to AA.

I've been doing extensive international travel the last few years and have BA Silver status.

I was never able to combine my US Airways and BA miles.

That said, I just made a booking on AA.com using my AA miles. Remember that I have no status on AA. For this booking, is there any way I can get the benefit of BA Silver status in whatever shape or form since AA and BA are partners? If so, how can I go about getting it done?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

guv1976 Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you tried calling AA and asking if they can replace the AA number in your award booking with your BAEC number?

Jackspoint Jul 22, 2015 7:24 pm

You should be able to change the frequent flyer number using Finnair's website. Million Mile Secrets has an excellent guide here: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...ican-airlines/

guv1976 Jul 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by JackBuck
You should be able to change the frequent flyer number using Finnair's website. Million Mile Secrets has an excellent guide here: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...ican-airlines/

Nope. Finnair requires an Amadeus PNR, which a BA redemption on AA will have; an AA redemption on AA will only have a Sabre PNR, which finnair.com will not recognize.

But welcome to FT!

whadzinaname Jul 23, 2015 11:21 am

So, I called AA last night and the switch was easy, though I had to wait a long time. The funny thing was that while I was making the reservation with my AA miles, it showed me random middle seats throughout the flight to make a selection. As soon as my BA number was entered, it opened up the whole flight and I was able to snag the 3rd row for me and my parents, which gives us 6 inches of extra legroom!!

Thanks all for your input and special thanks to guv1976!

guv1976 Jul 23, 2015 12:54 pm

"As soon as my BA number was entered, it opened up the whole flight and I was able to snag the 3rd row for me and my parents, which gives us 6 inches of extra legroom!!"

Yes. Being able to select Main Cabin Extra seats on AA flights is one of the benefits extended to oneworld Emerald and oneworld Sapphire members. You'll also be able to check bags at no charge, if you wish.

drvannostren Jul 23, 2015 5:43 pm

I actually did end up calling, first off, I like how the phone system just recognizes my phone number, I spoke my record locator into it and boom, when the agent picked up she had all my details already, including my AA number (from my profile) so she swapped out the number in no time. 2nd reservation was just as quick. No fuss, no muss.