FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1851835-archive-changing-ffn-frequent-flyer-number-aa-bookings.html)

swag Nov 16, 2014 8:49 am

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 23846735)
You could sign her up for the US or AA trial sometime prior to the flights. I think that might be enough miles to reach US Silver/AA Gold.

This.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...rred.html?re=1

7500 flown miles plus $200 will get her Silver (and then AA GLD) through Feb 2016.

http://www.flyerguide.com/Challenge_%28AA%29

5000 points plus ~$140 will get her AA GLD; 10000 points plus ~$200 will get PLT. She'll get 1.5x points per mile on a business class fare.

Centurion Nov 17, 2014 6:29 pm

She has AA BA USair FF #. She will make silver elite if she uses US Air but US Air does not have bonus offer. Am I correct that the choice should be AA FF# since this can be a 20,000 bonus and the programs will be combined?

bdemaria Nov 18, 2014 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 23857304)
She has AA BA USair FF #. She will make silver elite if she uses US Air but US Air does not have bonus offer. Am I correct that the choice should be AA FF# since this can be a 20,000 bonus and the programs will be combined?

20K bonus is for RDM, not EQM. Programs will be combined in mid 2015.

Centurion Nov 18, 2014 7:11 pm

I am going with SWAG suggestion of $200 challenge which will get her Plt plus registering for the 20k bonus miles. I am US Chairman and thinking of doing the same as I will not make chairman next year or even US Platinum just gold. Any thoughts on my pick?

bdemaria Nov 19, 2014 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 23862914)
I am going with SWAG suggestion of $200 challenge which will get her Plt plus registering for the 20k bonus miles. I am US Chairman and thinking of doing the same as I will not make chairman next year or even US Platinum just gold. Any thoughts on my pick?

The platinum challenge is now $240 (at least that was the price in July when a family member enrolled for it).

As for your "pick" do you mean PLT v. GLD on AA? There is a vast difference between PLT & GLD on AA - so if you have travel planned that will yield 10,000 EQP, then definitely opt for the PLT challenge.

VSLover Nov 19, 2014 11:47 am

When do I change my FF Number to BA?

hi there-

i am already qualified to ExP until feb 2016 and with my already planned trips over the next three months, i can qualify for BA Gold too.

for those that have done it, what are your strategies of using tools available to you via online booking?

specifically as relates to flights i already booked under my AA num:

(1) if i book JFK-LHR and want to use a SWU, do i keep my AA num in there then have them change it at the airport after i get the upgrade? does it matter?

(2) if i am coach LAX-JFK, and need my free bag allowance do i change my num at check in at the airport, or later in lounge?

(3) if flying int'l, obviously as BA Blue (lowest tier) i do not get flagship access but as a OW emerald i do--so is it a matter of just showing my card?

thanks all!

mvoight Nov 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover (Post 23866761)
hi there-

i am already qualified to ExP until feb 2016 and with my already planned trips over the next three months, i can qualify for BA Gold too.

for those that have done it, what are your strategies of using tools available to you via online booking?

specifically as relates to flights i already booked under my AA num:

(1) if i book JFK-LHR and want to use a SWU, do i keep my AA num in there then have them change it at the airport after i get the upgrade? does it matter?

(2) if i am coach LAX-JFK, and need my free bag allowance do i change my num at check in at the airport, or later in lounge?

(3) if flying int'l, obviously as BA Blue (lowest tier) i do not get flagship access but as a OW emerald i do--so is it a matter of just showing my card?

thanks all!

One question, do the benefits of getting BA Gold outweigh the cost of losing double RDMs? I am on the side of if you need to something sneaky to get a benefit, then you probably shouldn't be getting the benefit. However, if AA permits the practice of using EXP benefits when traveling as BA Blue, then that would be OK. If this is against AA policy, then it cannot be condoned on this forum. So, for the experts... What is the policy?

VSLover Nov 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 23867377)
One question, do the benefits of getting BA Gold outweigh the cost of losing double RDMs? I am on the side of if you need to something sneaky to get a benefit, then you probably shouldn't be getting the benefit. However, if AA permits the practice of using EXP benefits when traveling as BA Blue, then that would be OK. If this is against AA policy, then it cannot be condoned on this forum. So, for the experts... What is the policy?

so this is my use case: my work is taking me international for the foreseeable future. i will be relying on the BA network in europe, hence need to qualify. in the US i'd say about 95% of my flts are the JFK-SFO/LAX routes which i have to pay J fares on anyhow as upgrades are no longer available.

i personally do not feel i'm "gaming" any system as i am a fully qualified executive platinum member on AA thru feb 2016. the details of using all i am entitled to, while on AA flt numbers and metal, but with a BA Blue FF number is where things get hazy on actual policy, hence the questions.

or rather: i am using the perks i'm entitled to, while on a BA FF number and no longer achieving any future qualification on AA. example: on any intl flt under my BA number, i'll be entitled to the admirals lounge solely due to my current OW Emerald status.

Centurion Nov 19, 2014 5:39 pm

which FF number to use with no status?

Thanks. Will go for plat on AA for both.

mikelat Nov 19, 2014 5:43 pm

My opinion on this, and I'm sure everyone has one, is that if you want AA FF benefits then you credit to your AA FF number. If you want your lower BA Blue benefits then you credit to your BA FF number. The benefits are tied to your FF number and I really doubt AA is intending for folks to get their AA benefits when using a diff FF number.

iadp Nov 19, 2014 6:28 pm

I'm in the same boat having requalified back in June. If there was any incentive to keep pushing beyond 100K, I'd stick with earning on AA. Since there isn't any published benefits beyond 100K, I'm diversifying just in case AA guts AAdvantage in the near term.

1) You can apply SWUs to a booking even if your AA account isn't applied to the booking. I've always done it weeks/months ahead of time but never at the airport. When I earn towards CX and fly AA my SWU success is 25%. When I earn towards AA my SWU success is 100%.

2) I haven't tried it nor would I. AA has given me a generous extra 5 lbs of baggage but YMMV.

3) Just show your boarding pass and EXP card. I've done this a dozen times at AA and CX F lounges with no problems. I've tried to find a policy that says this is against the rules. Still haven't found anything. Oneworld policy doesn't say you have to be earning towards an Emerald program to access F lounges. I still need to read AA's policy.

iadp Nov 19, 2014 6:35 pm

I didn't answer your root question and Mikelat is right. Everyone will have their own opinion. I'd book it with your EXP account. After its ticketed, call in and change the booking to your BA account. Changing it at checkin or at the lounge is pushing it per my moral compass.

VSLover Nov 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by iadp (Post 23868808)
I didn't answer your root question and Mikelat is right. Everyone will have their own opinion. I'd book it with your EXP account. After its ticketed, call in and change the booking to your BA account. Changing it at checkin or at the lounge is pushing it per my moral compass.

so the the question of using a SWU on a TATL: i called and requested one, on my AA booking. the agent said fine and i also on THE SAME CALL said i need my BA FF# added instead and she said..."i can request it, but i have no idea where you fall in line" despite the fact that (and this is the corporate attorney in me) the literature reads that as an exp member, i am entitled to my exp benefits. nothing talks about using an alliance FF# that may not be of equal stature.

recall: i EARNED all the benefits already.

fedechat Nov 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Do the AA, you will not qualify for US Challenge, since your bought your tickets with BA, which means they have a BA flight number, but operated by AA.

mikelat Nov 20, 2014 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover (Post 23869497)
so the the question of using a SWU on a TATL: i called and requested one, on my AA booking. the agent said fine and i also on THE SAME CALL said i need my BA FF# added instead and she said..."i can request it, but i have no idea where you fall in line" despite the fact that (and this is the corporate attorney in me) the literature reads that as an exp member, i am entitled to my exp benefits. nothing talks about using an alliance FF# that may not be of equal stature.

recall: i EARNED all the benefits already.

To be clear - I see it as completely fine to use SWUs regardless of which program you credit to. Its just if you have to waitlist, AA is going to use the status of the program to which you are crediting the flights when determining your place on the waitlist.

Yes, you earned the benefits in the AA program and they're tied to your AA account. You, as far I can read from here, did not earn the benefits in your BA program. Benefits are tied to a program, not a person. The airline's only tracking is per FF number.

Try calling up AA and ask them if you get your AA EXP benefits when flying on a different FF program or number. I suspect they'll say No and even your lawyering may not help you :)