Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
One comment, one question.

I sponsored a nonstatus friend on another PNR using my SWU at the airport and my friend inherited my status. I didn't even ask them to do it as I was curious what would happen without saying anything. If I'm reading the guide right I think it suggests they should not have inherited my status.

Do SWU, Miles and Copay, and BusinessExtra upgrades all share the same priority and thus order is determined by EQD within the same status tier? Same answer before airport control and after?
If you were traveling on the same flight and sponsored him for a SWU upgrade, your friend inherits your status (this is new post-airport control: AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018). And yeah, anything that pulls from C inventory (eg SWU, miles and copay, BXP3) shares the same priority on the upgrade list. Same answer before airport control and afterwards.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I am traveling with two companions to Europe and back. I have SWU requests for the outbound and miles/copay for the return. The outbound is J0 so no hope of that clearing. Return is J7 and looks wide open (July 4 so hopefully light travel day between holiday and Wednesday). If I switch the outbound to miles/copay and return to SWU, my understanding is that nothing in my priority will change, except date of request which is very far down the list of tiebreakers so I’m not too concerned about it,

Is that accurate? I want to switch now as, since July 4 is so wide open, I don’t want that to process and then I get stuck with the SWUs, which I likely wont have another long haul to use them on this year.

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
If I switch the outbound to miles/copay and return to SWU, my understanding is that nothing in my priority will change, except date of request which is very far down the list of tiebreakers so I’m not too concerned about it,

Is that accurate?
Yes.

Previously, a switch in instruments would have reset your time stamp (sometimes an agent could preserve it). No longer relevant unless - as you said - it gets to a tie-breaker down on the hierarchy. Very unlikely.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Am I on top of the upgrade list?

Hello FT,

So I cleared the international portion of an upcoming trip (miles + fee), but not the domestic portion. I"m told I'm on the waitlist, just curious where I am on that hierarchy.
I've paid the $350 + 25K miles already. Am I above EXP with complimentary upgrade?

CLT-DFW-NRT this Monday.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Hello FT,

So I cleared the international portion of an upcoming trip (miles + fee), but not the domestic portion. I"m told I'm on the waitlist, just curious where I am on that hierarchy.
I've paid the $350 + 25K miles already. Am I above EXP with complimentary upgrade?

CLT-DFW-NRT this Monday.
are you exp? What is your ytd eqd?

the latter will matter all others being equal.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by scottsam66
Hello FT,

Am I above EXP with complimentary upgrade?
Yes. EXP's using SWU/mileage award upgrades trump complimentary/500-mile upgrades within same status.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Apologies, I was not clear. My question is does my instrument, the miles plus fees, put me above others (EXP or otherwise using either complementary or 500 mile segment upgrades?

I need to upgrade my FT profile, as I"m not EXP this year. I am Plat-pro.
Oh, my mileage so far this year is about 40K miles.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
It goes Status Level, then Upgrade Instrument, then 12 month rolling EQD. So you are behind all the EXP unfortunately. Only way that Miles and copay sometimes jumps the list is the ability to instantly confirm before the EXP upgrade window assuming C space is available.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic
It goes Status Level, then Upgrade Instrument, then 12 month rolling EQD. So you are behind all the EXP unfortunately. Only way that Miles and copay sometimes jumps the list is the ability to instantly confirm before the EXP upgrade window assuming C space is available.
Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
This question may be better asked in the Business Extra thread, not sure.

Trying to figure out where BXP3 instruments stand in the priority order. Are they treated the same as SWUs & Miles+money? Or do they "rank" after those?

Just booked a transpac roundtrip, no C space available, trying to decide upgrade strategy with one SWU and one BXP3. Of the two longhauls one looks much likely to clear than the other.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Are they treated the same as SWUs & Miles+money? Or do they "rank" after those?
Yes. Same as SWU & Miles+Copay.
bse118 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Hi Collective Wisdom:

I am just off the phone with ExecPlat (EXP) desk and the BusinessExtraa BE desk. I have a BXP3 and upcoming trips to Auckland and Shanghai In PE. I had one leg, AKL-LAX clear as EXP SWU. I tried, and failed, to have my BXP3 applied rather than my SWU. During two separate rounds of calls, I was told that the BXP3 and SWU "inventories" are not swappable. I was *also* told that my EXP status did *not* stick to my BXP3 upgrade list request meaning that if I chose to be on the BXP3 list, I would clear only after all other statuses clear (i.e., pretty much never). None of this seems right to me but two rounds of calls ended with the same conclusion.

The two units(EXP desk and BE desk) really did seem totally disjoint. Folks were nice but communications were painful and more than a little frustrating.

So, have things changed? If not, is there some official that I can point to about how status and upgrade instrument interact?

Cheers and thanks,
DocD
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:36 pm

EXP with 25K in EQD this year. I've been having trouble getting systemwides to clear this year even on what I think are off-peak flights. Is this the new normal?

What EQD is required these days to get regular upgrades? Do you have to be CK at this point? I'm ex-NYC on major routes. Systemwides that have cleared have been T-24.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by DocD
Hi Collective Wisdom:

I am just off the phone with ExecPlat (EXP) desk and the BusinessExtraa BE desk. I have a BXP3 and upcoming trips to Auckland and Shanghai In PE. I had one leg, AKL-LAX clear as EXP SWU. I tried, and failed, to have my BXP3 applied rather than my SWU. During two separate rounds of calls, I was told that the BXP3 and SWU "inventories" are not swappable. I was *also* told that my EXP status did *not* stick to my BXP3 upgrade list request meaning that if I chose to be on the BXP3 list, I would clear only after all other statuses clear (i.e., pretty much never). None of this seems right to me but two rounds of calls ended with the same conclusion.

The two units(EXP desk and BE desk) really did seem totally disjoint. Folks were nice but communications were painful and more than a little frustrating.

So, have things changed? If not, is there some official that I can point to about how status and upgrade instrument interact?

Cheers and thanks,
DocD
These agents are wrong.

1. BXP3 and SWU are identical in priority.
2. They can swap them. I did this earlier this year by putting a BXP3 in place of an SWU. It took a while on the call, but they got it done.
3. Your EXP status absolutely "sticks" to the BXP3. That's nonsense.

It's so lamentable that HUCA is the new normal with the EXP and Meeting Services lines... but you should just try again until you get an agent that knows their own policies.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
EXP with 25K in EQD this year. I've been having trouble getting systemwides to clear this year even on what I think are off-peak flights. Is this the new normal?

What EQD is required these days to get regular upgrades? Do you have to be CK at this point? I'm ex-NYC on major routes. Systemwides that have cleared have been T-24.
I have about the same rolling EQD as you, and I have cleared 10 SWU/Miles+Copay/BXP3 upgrades this year. 10/10. Only one of them was battlefield... where I got upgraded just before the boarding door closed and the agent came to get me from PE to go to J (LHR-DFW).

But the J cabins really are fuller than I've seen them in recent years. I'm DFW-based, so I'm not sure what NYC loads are like. I did, however, clear a couple SWU's to J on JFK-LHR earlier this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.