Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

are you traveling with a companion? That message may be because you need a sticker to upgrade your companion?
Exactly correct and easy to see from another browser.
When I looked at it later, it indicated it was for the companion.
I rarely fly AA flights under 500, and this is the first time with a companion since they became free.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Interesting upgrade list today ewr-phx on a pmus a321. Only #4 on the list was upgraded.

Last edited by FlyinMike; Jul 26, 2019 at 2:39 pm Reason: Add image
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by FlyinMike
Interesting upgrade list today ewr-phx on a pmus a321. Only #4 on the list was upgraded.
Interesting, is there any chance #1-3 were hanging in the lounge and not at the gate?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Don't know. Did my usual of getting to airport and to gate just as boarding started. Back in PHX already.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Exactly----these upgrades really hose you if you get within the complimentary upgrade window as you bet pushed back behind everyone!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:15 pm

I've recently noticed if I'm flying multiple legs, the upgrade window starts for all flights when the upgrade window starts for the first flight. This has helped me snag some hard to get upgrades like DFW-LGA on a Monday morning since my first flight was the night before and an easy upgrade.

Have upgrades always been this way? As someone DFW based, I assume I'm getting based over a lot by all the people making connections through DFW.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Would comp upgrade ever clear before SWU?

I'm specifically talking about domestic complimentary uogrades that start clearing within 5 days. I'm told by AA on the phone that I can only be either on the SWU waitlist or on the complimentary upgrade waitlist. But does that mean that SWUs will only clear into C space, and that if complimentary upgrade space becomes available SWU won't clear into that, even if the SWU elite potentially had higher status/more spend than the comp upgrade one?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:04 pm

To be more specific about my situation:

I have a flight from Europe to DFW and then on to LAX. The international leg already cleared with SWU, but domestic leg hasn't. It's within 5 days of the flight now (so upgrade window open since I'm EP). I'm wondering if I'm better off on the comp upgrade waitlist if it's the case that SWUs only clear into C, since we all here know that C space is such a unicorn (and at the same time comp upgrades do happen a few days in advance often)
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SEA737
I'm specifically talking about domestic complimentary uogrades that start clearing within 5 days. I'm told by AA on the phone that I can only be either on the SWU waitlist or on the complimentary upgrade waitlist. But does that mean that SWUs will only clear into C space, and that if complimentary upgrade space becomes available SWU won't clear into that, even if the SWU elite potentially had higher status/more spend than the comp upgrade one?
Originally Posted by SEA737
To be more specific about my situation:

I have a flight from Europe to DFW and then on to LAX. The international leg already cleared with SWU, but domestic leg hasn't. It's within 5 days of the flight now (so upgrade window open since I'm EP). I'm wondering if I'm better off on the comp upgrade waitlist if it's the case that SWUs only clear into C, since we all here know that C space is such a unicorn (and at the same time comp upgrades do happen a few days in advance often)
For a domestic flight like this SWU's can only clear into C space and comp. domestic upgrades can only clear into R space. So if you're waitlisted for a SWU and AA releases comp. upgrade space, you will not be upgraded, and vice versa.

For a flight like DFW-LAX that's only a few days away, it's a complete roll of the dice as to whether it's better to be waitlisted for a SWU or your complimentary domestic upgrade. If things are working like they should then AA should release C space first, however if there are only 1 or 2 seats left then it's also not uncommon for a gate agent to clear comp upgrades and be done with it.

This is where ExpertFlyer can really come in handy, change your waitlist to complimentary domestic upgrade but set an EF alert for C space, if you see C space open up then call AA real fast to grab it.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For a domestic flight like this SWU's can only clear into C space and comp. domestic upgrades can only clear into R space. So if you're waitlisted for a SWU and AA releases comp. upgrade space, you will not be upgraded, and vice versa.

For a flight like DFW-LAX that's only a few days away, it's a complete roll of the dice as to whether it's better to be waitlisted for a SWU or your complimentary domestic upgrade. If things are working like they should then AA should release C space first, however if there are only 1 or 2 seats left then it's also not uncommon for a gate agent to clear comp upgrades and be done with it.

This is where ExpertFlyer can really come in handy, change your waitlist to complimentary domestic upgrade but set an EF alert for C space, if you see C space open up then call AA real fast to grab it.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying! The AA reps were having such a hard time trying to explain this. I'm doing that then because of EF. It was annoying when I called to change it because the agent kept saying how I was shooting myself in the foot and whatnot, but they seemed to think AA will never release R before C, which is obviously not necessarily true.

Anyways, thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
I believe under airport control when the PALL list ordering takes over people waitlisting a SWU get listed at higher priority than a sticker upgrade. Now what happens between T-24 to T-30mins I’m not sure (as in does the auto clearing work off the PALL list ordering or still by checking for R and C separately and clearing the top of whatever inventory is released).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
I believe under airport control when the PALL list ordering takes over people waitlisting a SWU get listed at higher priority than a sticker upgrade. Now what happens between T-24 to T-30mins I’m not sure (as in does the auto clearing work off the PALL list ordering or still by checking for R and C separately and clearing the top of whatever inventory is released).
This is correct. If I haven't cleared and it's a route I really want an upgrade on, I'll wait until T-3 to call the EP desk and waitlist a SWU. At that point I'll check in and end up as #1 on the upgrade list (most of the time).
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How many companions can inherit status with their accompanying elite traveler? (e.g. - HND -> LAX, applying SWU on this flight - if I purchase a ticket for 4 passengers will the SWU upgrade priority include everyone or only one additional companion at most?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know how the news announced today will affect the annual, rolling EQDs for upgrades? Is it being set to 18 or 24 months instead of 12 months? Unfortunately, a lot of people will see a big dip at some point, which can vary depending upon where you live or travel often.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone know how the news announced today will affect the annual, rolling EQDs for upgrades? Is it being set to 18 or 24 months instead of 12 months? Unfortunately, a lot of people will see a big dip at some point, which can vary depending upon where you live or travel often.
I am too lazy to find it but I have to think it won’t change. This is a “reward” to your better customers over a year period. Used to get me mad when I saw people who booked cheap flights 6 months ago be ahead of me on upgrade list as I purchase lots of last minute fares.

Also hope it stays that way instead of UA who does by price of individual ticket.

Also since I have started flying again I like this. LOL 😂
asnovici likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.