Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Happy to report out some upgrade statistics for my travels in 2017 as a EXP.
Traveled really light on AA this year as I'm switching business to AS/VX since award miles are given by $.

Complimentary Upgrades
Domestic AA: 5 of 6
Transcon (SFO,LAX-JFK): 4 of 5
Award Travel: 1 of 1 (Transcon JFK-SFO Flight)

SWU: Attempted on 6 itineraries, successful on 5.
Segments upgraded while SWU was applied: 9 of 10

SWU used on routes:
HKG-LAX-SEA // SEA-LAX-HKG
SFO-ORD-CDG // CDG-JFK-SFO
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did you get a refund for difference in fare? At the end of the day you paid for one product but got another, weather withstanding.

No I didn't!! The thought didn't occur to me to ask for a refund once I saw that I earned the correct mileage for the segment even though I wasn't in F. I also felt that the GA that walked me on to the plane to make sure I got the Exit seat said something to the FA that was on the jumpseat across from me (A321).

In the end it all worked out. I got from point B back to home safe and sound despite the delays.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Most GLD/PLT don't request UGs on every flight as it uses stickers/500 mile upgrades. As a result, the UG list is CK/EXP/PPRO and a handful of PLT and GLD.

That you are the bottom isn't that surprising. LAX-YVR and LAX-SEA are both > 500 miles, so that won't say much. If you do LAX-SAN and are at the bottom, then something might be up.
from sea to lax I’m number 15 out 16 as a plat refreshing to see I’m not at the bottom again hahahah . How are there so many exp and plat pros lol

edit now 19 out of 20 lol

Last edited by Amil; Jan 18, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Had two disparate upgrade experiences this week. One was upgraded 5/6 segments at 120 hours, trip ultimately cancelled by work last minute. Second trip I was #3 on both lists and cleared last minute on board DFW-IAH (I declined due to overhead space). Mid-range EQD but I’m sure it will be very variable throughout the year as spend both grows and falls off.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by zpaul
I'm at 36k EQD and have found myself at #4 - #6 on the upgrade lists out of my home in MIA so far in 2018. Sucks to have moved to a hub!
This says it all. $36,000 EQD's (which is TRIPLE mine), and you are still relegated to "watching the monitor" to see if your number comes up. Ridiculous.

One or two more years to 2-million-miler, and that "platinum-for-life" certificate gets framed and hung on my home-office wall.

Then, it's "want first, buy first" for the in-air comfort, and credit all flights to British Airways to get Oneworld status for access to the Flagship Lounge and other Oneworld lounges.

A great strategy, until all the rules and qualifications change again.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
11 out of 11 so far this year although DFW to MIA flight came in after boarding.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:19 am

EXP w/ 21.2K EQDs for 2017. One RT from PHL-LAS so far this year - no luck and in the 10-15 range for both flights. This was during CES however.

Another trip PHL-LAS this week.. No upgrade before check in on the outbound. Will post with queue # and results after trip.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Tim19320
This was during CES however.
Yep, that definitely probably killed any chances. I suspect most F seats are purchased on LAS flights during that event.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Bought tickets 2 weeks ago for JFK - SFO for flight later today, got upgraded 56 hours before the flight (on Saturday). Saturday mid day I checked available seats and there were 5+ available in business class, now it only shows 1 remaining seat. I'm EXP with ~$26k EQD for 2017
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I've been lucky thus fare with upgrades thus far for 2018: 6/7

Upgrades: SFO-LAX-HKG-LAX-SFO, SFO-CLT-EWR

Pending: PHL-SFO (A332: 29 - January)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Doing pretty well so far:
  • 2/4 on JFK-LAX/SFO transcons
  • 100% on everything else (usually at T-100 or within an hour or so of booking if I'm buying the flight within the window already)
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
How to see CURRENT 12 month rolling spend?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered. So, sorry to ask again
On AA.com is there a way to see my CURRENT 12 month rolling spend?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by AA Flyer
I'm sure this has been asked and answered. So, sorry to ask again
On AA.com is there a way to see my CURRENT 12 month rolling spend?
No. For those of us that track it, we use Excel or some other tool that we maintain on our own.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Antarius
Most GLD/PLT don't request UGs on every flight as it uses stickers/500 mile upgrades. As a result, the UG list is CK/EXP/PPRO and a handful of PLT and GLD.

That you are the bottom isn't that surprising. LAX-YVR and LAX-SEA are both > 500 miles, so that won't say much. If you do LAX-SAN and are at the bottom, then something might be up.
Originally Posted by Amil

from sea to lax I’m number 15 out 16 as a plat refreshing to see I’m not at the bottom again hahahah . How are there so many exp and plat pros lol

edit now 19 out of 20 lol
Obvioisly this is all route and airport dependent. From what I can tell, fewer AA elites must be flying to or from New York, because I have been upgraded at the 24hour to 48hour window for my last four requested sticker upgrades (JFK to or from MCO, DCA, ATL). I’m a high EQD Plat now, dropping to Gold on January 31. I’ve also noticed more comp upgrades clearing for JFK to LAX or SFO transcons (I’m usually in paid J or F).
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by grrizzli
Points 4 and 5 will be in play when pax have 0 EQDs. One can still be an EXP without spending a dollar on AA in the past 12 months.
Correct.. this change significantly devalues the lifetime status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.