Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by moonwoo
True but if 3000 EQD wont make a huge inpact, I'd rather put the 10k spend on a higher yield credit card like the freedom or reserve
It's your decision.

If you are satisfied reaching the minimum requirements to make EXP, then continue your spend on an alternate credit card that you believe provides a higher yield.

Your upgrade experience throughout 2018 will provide you some feedback as to the wisdom of that decision.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver / OWS
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
New perk for upgrades on award tickets applies to domestic only.
So, what's the story on international? Do AA not upgrade those flights, or do they use a different prioritisation?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by jcatman
It's your decision.

If you are satisfied reaching the minimum requirements to make EXP, then continue your spend on an alternate credit card that you believe provides a higher yield.

Your upgrade experience throughout 2018 will provide you some feedback as to the wisdom of that decision.
I wonder how many "would be" EXPs there will be now that the spend requirement is in place. I was talking to a colleague last year who going from ORD>SFO every week for about 6 months. He was flying United, and I asked how he was coming on status, and he said not good, since the flights were cheap. I don't know how many miles he had, but he wasn't anywhere close to the EQD requirements. How many people will this happen to?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jcatman
It's your decision.

Yeah, I guess we won't know until next year. Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by spinksflights
So, what's the story on international? Do AA not upgrade those flights, or do they use a different prioritisation?
AA offer upgrades on those flights one can use UDU / 500 milers, iirc.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rd-ticket.html
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:26 am
Original Poster

NOTE: Traveling companion status "borrowing" or "inheriting" chart for upgrades Policy has been added to the Wikipost.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver / OWS
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA offer upgrades on those flights one can use UDU / 500 milers, iirc.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rd-ticket.html
My apologies if I am being REALLY stupid (!) but reading that thread seems to state the opposite, that they can't be used for international?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spinksflights
My apologies if I am being REALLY stupid (!) but reading that thread seems to state the opposite, that they can't be used for international?
Awards may be upgraded within the restrictions of UDU / 500 mile upgrades.

AA allows 500 miles for use for flights within North America, Caribbean, Central America (AA version of "domestic" for UDU / 500 milers). If it's not upgradeable using 500 miles / UDU, there's no upgrade path for awards other than buying up, AFAIK.

"Upgrades are valid on American Airlines or American Eagle marketed and operated flights offering a First or Business Class cabin within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Bermuda as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama)."

See AA.com here for full information.

For full Terms and Conditions for 500 mile upgrades, see here.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Weighting?

Is there a weighting applied to each of the various "priority" classifications? E.g. Does a higher 12 month rolling spend PAX get ahead of someone that booked 6 months out and used a SWU, but had lower spend ? Is there any transparency to this ?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prw555
Is there a weighting applied to each of the various "priority" classifications? E.g. Does a higher 12 month rolling spend PAX get ahead of someone that booked 6 months out and used a SWU, but had lower spend ? Is there any transparency to this ?
The weighting and order of weighting is presented in the Wikipost.

There's no actual transparency insofar as our ability to determine whether someone who takes the upgrade actually did so within the upgrade criteria; the prioritization is set by programmed screening.

Yet I am sure we will have posters who feel there were shenanigans played when they miss their upgrade.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
It isn't like there was transparency when the priority was date of request (how do I know if the PLAT ahead of me booked before or after me?), so how is the transparency level any different with the EQD prioritization (how do I know the PLAT ahead of me has a higher EQD over the last 12 months)?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
It isn't like there was transparency when the priority was date of request (how do I know if the PLAT ahead of me booked before or after me?), so how is the transparency level any different with the EQD prioritization (how do I know the PLAT ahead of me has a higher EQD over the last 12 months)?
This. It hasn't been transparent, it won't be any more transparent.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
You simply ask everyone on the list
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
You simply ask everyone on the list
Of course I do!

"Hey, dude, what was YOUR EQD spend the last twelve?"
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course I do!

"Hey, dude, what was YOUR EQD spend the last twelve?"
I'm hoping the question was tongue-in-cheek, but if not I already know what my answer would be. "None of your business!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.