Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I missed two of them yesterday - both times I was top of the list but didn't clear. EXP w/about $20k last 12 months.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jmr50
I missed two of them yesterday - both times I was top of the list but didn't clear. EXP w/about $20k last 12 months.
I assume this means that no upgrades cleared for anyone on those two flights. If that's the case, it wouldn't really matter what your status or EQD is..
Old May 30, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is not saying much without context, really...
Old May 30, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Originally Posted by nk15
Waah, what a massacre...

This is a terrible route. I flew it once last year, only one seat open, I got it at the gate, after booking 11 months out, lol...Former glory...
Sorry a bit off topic, but if you think that is bad try Ord/sfo on UA as a 1k. you are lucky to start at # 30 on the list
Old May 31, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
I cleared for all four flights this week at the 100 hour mark.

EXP, ~$40k EQD since August 1.

i am going to like this (at least for the next year or so) as I often book last minute so was missing a few upgrades.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by nk15
This is not saying much without context, really...
True.

PSP-DFW, no upgrades cleared at gate (I was top of list)

DFW-EWR, I was #6 and 5 upgrades cleared at gate.

738 both flights, on a national holiday (Memorial Day)
Old May 31, 2017, 7:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

True.

PSP-DFW, no upgrades cleared at gate (I was top of list)

DFW-EWR, I was #6 and 5 upgrades cleared at gate.

738 both flights, on a national holiday (Memorial Day)
As far as being #6 on the upgrade list, I guess your idea of being at the "top of the list" is different than mine.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I did my own math - took 8/1 and on and divided base miles by 5. I am not sure if the people upgraded were CKs but they did not have great seats - I watched them get walked up by the GA after boarding
THX for the info, using your formula, I think I'm at $13769 for the last 12.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Rolling EQD's question...

Apologies, I couldn't find on another thread. I looked, sorry if its been asked before.

EQD's are now 12 month rolling. Does the 12 months start when you book/pay for the ticket or when you fly your first leg?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Does the 12 months start when you book/pay for the ticket or when you fly your first leg?[/QUOTE]

When flown, as that is when your account accrual for spend also goes up.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Apologies, I couldn't find on another thread. I looked, sorry if its been asked before.

EQD's are now 12 month rolling. Does the 12 months start when you book/pay for the ticket or when you fly your first leg?
The start of the relevant 12 months is 12 months before some key end point. Whether that end point is:
- the date of the flight you asked to upgrade on
- the date(s) the system decides to clear some upgrade requests
- the date you placed you upgrade request

is an interesting question, and the relevant wiki doesn't directly address it.

My guess is the 3rd - date of request. If you wade through that thread it might be answered. If not, that would be the place to ask.

P.S. Thread has been merged, so "the relevant wiki" and "that thread" now refer to the current one.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Jun 1, 2017 at 4:56 pm Reason: Post-merge clarification
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I estimate yesterday I was about #6/12 EXPs on the list, EWR>ORD, with about $20K in rolling spend.

Previously I'm sure I would have been closer to the top, as main cabin was pretty open when I booked, and I booked about 5 weeks ago.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I estimate yesterday I was about #6/12 EXPs on the list, EWR>ORD, with about $20K in rolling spend.

Previously I'm sure I would have been closer to the top, as main cabin was pretty open when I booked, and I booked about 5 weeks ago.
I should add my upgrade did clear about 3.5 hours before.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver / OWS
Transatlantic upgrades

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious but most upgrade threads on here seem to focus on domestic. Does anyone know how AA priorities on international flights?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
There are no complimentary upgrades on trans-oceanic flights. For international flights to/from Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, Bermuda, the Caribbean, and Central America, the same domestic upgrade procedures/rules apply. For more: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp

To upgrade other international flights using miles/co-pay or an SWU, waitlisted requests are confirmed in this order:
Elite status level
Upgrade type
12-month Rolling EQDs
Booking class
Date and time of request

For more: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.