Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In other words, expect to sit in the class you paid for.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver / OWS
Super. Thanks.

So as a OWS (BA) I assume I'll not get a look in. May mean it will be worth switching flights to my AA account to have some chance and just keep the one double long-haul trip per year to the far east on BA to maintain that status (for lounge access, seat booking etc).

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Indeed. No problem with that, just getting into regular flying and likely to be spending a lot of time on OneWorld carriers so want to do my best to maximise use of the schemes, but with no expectations. For anything beyond east coast US trips from here in UK I would be in J but I'll do a few trips MAN-PHL each year in Y.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 3, 2017 at 10:13 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
FLL - DFW this week. EXP w $20k spend. Upgraded at 100 hours.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by swm61230
Base miles are calculated by taking the EQDx5

So to know what your EQD was from 8/1-12/31 take all base miles and divide by 5.
Then anyone that has flown partner premium flights loses out
As base miles is 100% but EQD is >20%.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Then anyone that has flown partner premium flights loses out
As base miles is 100% but EQD is >20%.
We don't know if and how they may calculate EQDs on partners for 8/1-12/31. One (bad) scenario is that they don't include them at all. The most likely scenario is that they include them using the currentt EQD rules for partner fares. In this case you come ahead on EQDs for cheap fares and even or worse for more expensive fares.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
We don't know if and how they may calculate EQDs on partners for 8/1-12/31. One (bad) scenario is that they don't include them at all. The most likely scenario is that they include them using the currentt EQD rules for partner fares. In this case you come ahead on EQDs for cheap fares and even or worse for more expensive fares.
Weren't the EQD earning rates on partners included in the tables AA published at literally the last minute (Aug 1), even though they didn't take effect until Jan? I went back in the EQM-EQD thread and saw references to them in Oct.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Jun 4, 2017 at 10:08 am Reason: clarified "last minute"
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
time of day?

may i ask... what day of the week and what time of day was your flight?

Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
FLL - DFW this week. EXP w $20k spend. Upgraded at 100 hours.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Best posting of the entire thread.........^
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WFBF, what happened to that old saying, haven't seen it much around these days...
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:34 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
My EQD is not that high; but on many LEISURE routes (NYC to/from LAS) if there aren't many CKs-EXPS, EQDs should NOT play a big role.
I'll see what happens with two itns showing J7 in the next several days.
[Only slightly relevant: when I flew DELTA 10+ years ago, I got lots of (free) upgrades to/from LAS as a 'lowly' SILVER--then ALL elites got FREE upgs if available.]
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
WFBF, what happened to that old saying, haven't seen it much around these days...
Okay, it took me awhile, but I figured out the meaning of WFBF.

I knew it wasn't Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcatman
Okay, it took me awhile, but I figured out the meaning of WFBF.

I knew it wasn't Wisconsin Farm Bureau Federation.
As my Wisconsin farmer uncle used to say, "Son, you Want First, Buy First!"
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: AA
So I will be able to qualify for EXP for the first time later this year. I'll have a little over 100k EQM (including 10k from the Aviator Silver boost with 40k spend) while my EQD will be around 13k including one 3k boost from the Silver Card. Last year I stopped the spend a little after 40k (which helped me reach platinum) and put the rest of my spend on other cards since the return isn't that great on this card.

My question for you all is, is it worth spending an extra 10k to get the 3000 extra EQD? Do you think it'll make a meaningful impact in regards to upgrades if I'm sitting at 13k vs 16k EQDs?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for all the input!

Last edited by moonwoo; Jun 5, 2017 at 1:08 am
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by moonwoo

My question for you all is, is it worth spending an extra 10k to get the 3000 extra EQD? Do you think it'll make a meaningful impact in regards to upgrades if I'm sitting at 13k vs 16k EQDs?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for all the input!

If you are already at $40,000 annual spend on the card, obtaining another $3,000 EQD's for another $10,000 spend on the credit card seems wise....
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jcatman
If you are already at $40,000 annual spend on the card, obtaining another $3,000 EQD's for another $10,000 spend on the credit card seems wise....
True but if 3000 EQD wont make a huge inpact, I'd rather put the 10k spend on a higher yield credit card like the freedom or reserve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.