Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by RadSam
What qualifies as high spend for an EXP? I suppose this question will answer itself over the next few weeks, but I'm curious and trying to predict how I will fare (pun intended) in this new scheme. At around $24k in EQD since August, am I low? High? Middle of the pack?
Polite in your face, EXPs!
Old May 20, 2017, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The off topic posts regarding the miles+copay vs SWU upgrade priority have been moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html.

/Moderator
Old May 20, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
What qualifies as high spend for an EXP? I suppose this question will answer itself over the next few weeks, but I'm curious and trying to predict how I will fare (pun intended) in this new scheme. At around $24k in EQD since August, am I low? High? Middle of the pack?
My guess is that 50K puts you in CK territory, but there are probably are a lot of low EQD EXPs for various reasons as well. If I had to guess, you probably could put the median at 14k and go from there...

Of course, if there's only one open F seat, only the top spender wins... And it's probably a CK.
​​​​​
Old May 20, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
My guess is that there are going to be a fair number of $5k EXPs getting screwed by this change. If we assume CK is around $50-60k then a totally random guess for revenue distribution for EXPs once you remove all the people that aren't going to hit the EQD numbers this year would be 50% $12-$15k, 30% 15-25k, and the other 20% above 25k.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by no2chem
My guess is that 50K puts you in CK territory, but there are probably are a lot of low EQD EXPs for various reasons as well. If I had to guess, you probably could put the median at 14k and go from there...

Of course, if there's only one open F seat, only the top spender wins... And it's probably a CK.
​​​​​
Some additional data points, my August 2016 to date is over $60k. I didn't get CK in 2016 with ~$60k spend all on AA metal and flight numbers. This year has dropped off with AA (~$25k) as all my international J spend moved to CX. Thier loss (AA) my gain.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Specifically excluding the airless aspect for the time being (a more direct path to CK based on spend, $60k or so, + or -) ; you can find a member with $50K, $60k, $70k, $80K or greater annual spend who is never considered for CK.

And in the very same year find a member with less than $60K who does get CK.

All because it's based on member profitability -not- total spend.

(And of course all this excludes CK nominations for influencers, etc, where the $ component is irrelevant.)
Old May 20, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Specifically excluding the airless aspect for the time being (a more direct path to CK based on spend, $60k or so, + or -) ; you can find a member with $50K, $60k, $70k, $80K or greater annual spend who is never considered for CK.

(And of course all this excludes CK nominations for influencers, etc, where the $ component is irrelevant.)
Understood. My gripe is lack of transparency. So I book a $5700 ex SJC-LAX-HKG round trip in J, 3 months out and the same flight is available 1 week in, at the same price, and that's not AA profiting? They had my money almost 3 months earlier than the last minute guy, and were earning interest. Surely that's an example of 'profiteering'. I see same on CX and is reason I book my trips now only 2 weeks out and generally win my hedging. Will say that same strategy does not work for Y.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by prw555
Understood. My gripe is lack of transparency. So I book a $5700 ex SJC-LAX-HKG round trip in J, 3 months out and the same flight is available 1 week in, at the same price, and that's not AA profiting? They had my money almost 3 months earlier than the last minute guy, and were earning interest. Surely that's an example of 'profiteering'.
Gotta be honest, I think you're off on a weird tangent here, big YMMV, needless to say.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:32 pm

Gotta be honest, I think you're off on a weird tangent here, big YMMV, needless to say.
If tangent is that AA is not profitable on $6k tickets, on a week out, compared to same price 3 months prior, what is?
Old May 20, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So, how many EXPs will be on the waitlist for complimentary upgrades on any given flight, I guess that this will really vary by route, but I am pretty sure many leisurely routes or routes between a medium hub and a non hub will have maybe 0-3 EXPs on the waitlist. I almost always clear even when I do same day flight change, so I am not too pessimistic about this...
Old May 21, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by nk15
So, how many EXPs will be on the waitlist for complimentary upgrades on any given flight, I guess that this will really vary by route, but I am pretty sure many leisurely routes or routes between a medium hub and a non hub will have maybe 0-3 EXPs on the waitlist. I almost always clear even when I do same day flight change, so I am not too pessimistic about this...
just FYI the fact you do SDFC does not change your ordering on the list (except that you are on a different flight with a different list). You keep your original timestamp.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
just FYI the fact you do SDFC does not change your ordering on the list (except that you are on a different flight with a different list). You keep your original timestamp.
Okay, now I am more pessimistic, lol...How about when I am not on the list at all by mistake and then I go on the list at the airport and immediately clear, that's a good sign, happened a couple of times. Anyway, I think I am going to start avoiding going through some hubs, like DFW, unless there is an unusually large F cabin like 763/77W, and be more selective of days or times I am flying...geez...

I still think though that many low EQD EXPs are leisure flyers, flying mostly leisure routes where the upgrade competition will be lower, so they will be ok. I have been on such flights where I cleared at T-100 and then the F cabin was still half empty.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
This will supposedly change (well, has changed) though, you'll keep your original "EQD" . Which means trying to preserve timestamp almost doesn't matter anymore...
Old May 21, 2017, 9:57 am

Hm, good point. But I guess those members are probably somewhat rare.

Also, what I don't get is why there are so many CKs requesting domestic upgrades. Maybe they were just nominated or something, but I always assumed that to get to high CK spends you're probably paying for domestic F (for work-related travel) and upgrades are only relevant during leisure travel. Same for high EQD spend EPs. The rest of us are stuck with domestic Y only travel policies.

So really, the majority of the competition between EPs will be against business travelers who have heavy spend due to international J travel but have domestic Y policies, I think...

But seeing several CKs on the upgrade list recently, seems to contradict... Maybe I need to figure out how to get one of these nominations .
Old May 22, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Using the divide base miles by 5 rule upthread I am approaching 11k EQD since Aug 2016. Lots of flying coming up. I will say for me the divide by 5 rule underestimates the 2016 miles when compared to 2017 and EQMs are listed, but some of the 2017 is paid J on partners domestic which may confound the calculation. Also my little group of travelers (13) on Business Extra has never even tweaked a CK offer, but I didn't expect it to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.