Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades, Business Extra? (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    4. BXP Business Extra upgrades

Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
    Time of request

• *Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status. It includes your EQD earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cards.

Link to EQD earning Help Desk thread on FlyerTalk.

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
        • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
        • Business Extra upgrade instruments
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
    • SWU, Miles & Copay: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
      • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
          • Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
    1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.
      • Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by lds89
wow you must be on some CK heavy flights or doing just the consulting run mon am and thurs pm. That, or booking last minute. They are now regularly clearing flights much earlier than before. With new system I've seen no drop off, I fly almost all mainline lots of SFO-DFW and transcons from SFO to CLT, PHL and running 85% on the year. Also have enjoyed that since they've fixed the IT glitches and I'm getting upgraded a few days before the flight I can do meal selection. YMMV, I guess
Would a Tuesday AM Friday PM run be significantly better than Monday AM Thursday PM?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by beachfan
Would a Tuesday AM Friday PM run be significantly better than Monday AM Thursday PM?
Tuesday morning yes for sure
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lds89
wow you must be on some CK heavy flights or doing just the consulting run mon am and thurs pm. That, or booking last minute. They are now regularly clearing flights much earlier than before. With new system I've seen no drop off, I fly almost all mainline lots of SFO-DFW and transcons from SFO to CLT, PHL and running 85% on the year. Also have enjoyed that since they've fixed the IT glitches and I'm getting upgraded a few days before the flight I can do meal selection. YMMV, I guess
Sun to Thu, and yes I am part of the consulting herd. Booking 3-5 weeks in advance.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Quick question, I'm PPro and flying from PDX-DFW-LGA. I woke this morning to receive a notification of upgrade about 8 minutes after the 72 hour deadline passed for my PDX-DFW flight. I'm now a couple of hours past the 72 window for my DFW-LGA segment and haven't received anything (shows about 8 open seats). How long after clearing the window 72, 48 etc, do you usually hear about upgrades. Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Quick question, I'm PPro and flying from PDX-DFW-LGA. I woke this morning to receive a notification of upgrade about 8 minutes after the 72 hour deadline passed for my PDX-DFW flight. I'm now a couple of hours past the 72 window for my DFW-LGA segment and haven't received anything (shows about 8 open seats). How long after clearing the window 72, 48 etc, do you usually hear about upgrades. Thanks
It really depends...Could be 30 seconds from now, could be at the gate. For a DFW-LGA flight, I would expect most upgrades to clear at the gate, unless it's a flight at a less busy time of the day. But that is a very CK and EXP heavy route.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:51 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Early flights tend to clear sooner than later flights. For the later flight, AA needs to reserve a few seats in case an earlier flight cancels, or a paid FC pax misses their connection, etc. But the first flight in the morning is usually exempt from these requirements.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Thanks for the advice, It is a midday flight (4th of 6th) on a Saturday to avoid the BUS crowd.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I would expect most upgrades to clear at the gate, unless it's a flight at a less busy time of the day. But that is a very CK and EXP heavy route.
Actually, I would expect most upgrades (except for the last F seat) to clear appox. 4.5hrs before departure time with a single seat held back to clear at the gate. If the flight is truly around J7 for this route, there a decent chance a few upgrades might be cleared around 24-48hrs before departure. Of course, this depends on a lot of factors beyond just the remaining number of seats in F.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
PALL anomaly

I experienced a strange PALL list anomaly yesterday, October 22. Flight 590 -- I am EXP and was travelling on a "G" fare.

I had been ticketed on this flight for several weeks, and I checked in at T-23 hours. The upgrade list was visible on my phone around T-6, and at that time I was #2 . Didn't think much of it, but I did remember the name code of #1 . When I arrived in Phoenix, I checked my phone again, and now the order had reversed -- I was #1 and this same other person was now #2 . I asked the AAngel at the B-8 Admirals Club, and she showed me her computer, and lo and behold, this other man was now #1 and I was now #2 -- I also noticed he was also an EXP, but on a slightly higher fare, "L."

I refreshed my phone, and indeed I returned as #2 . I went to the gate at T-45 minutes, and noticed I was number one on the Gate Information screen behind the GAs. I asked the two gate agents what they saw on their workstations -- one had me as #1 , the other had me as #2 -- and I showed them that my own phone would swap the two rankings intermittently. The gate agent who had me as #2 logged out and logged back in, and then said I was now #1 . She quickly cleared my upgrade and gave me the boarding card (last seat in F).

From this point forward, I showed as cleared (check mark) on the GIDS board and on my phone. The other man sat in coach, perhaps unaware of this strange system behavior.

Questions: (1) what happened here? (2) It the third order of ranking (trailing year total spend) have some variable in it that would change periodically? or perhaps (3) if trailing year total spend was intermittently not available (or available at zero for all passengers), would the PALL list then defer to the fourth order of ranking, fare class, in which case the other passenger would outrank me?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I experienced a strange PALL list anomaly yesterday, October 22. Flight 590 -- I am EXP and was travelling on a "G" fare.

I had been ticketed on this flight for several weeks, and I checked in at T-23 hours. The upgrade list was visible on my phone around T-6, and at that time I was passenger #2 . Didn't think much of it, but I did note the coded name of passenger #1 . When I arrived from my inbound flight into Phoenix, I checked my phone again, and now the order had reversed -- I was #1 and this same other person was now #2 . I asked the AAngel at the B-8 Admirals Club, and she showed me her computer, and lo and behold, this other man was now #1 and I was now #2 -- I also noticed he was also an EXP, but on a slightly higher fare, "L."

I went to the gate at T-45 minutes, and noticed I was number one on the Gate Information screen behind the GAs. I asked the two gate agents what they saw on their workstations -- one had me as #1 , the other had me as #2 -- and I told them that my own phone would swap the two rankings intermittently. The gate agent who had me in the second position logged out and logged back in, and then said I was now at the top of her list also . She quickly cleared my upgrade and gave me the boarding card (last seat in F).

From this point forward, I showed as cleared (check mark) on the GIDS board and on my phone. The other man sat in coach, perhaps unaware of this strange system behavior.

Questions: (1) what happened here? (2) Does the third order of ranking (trailing year total spend) have some variable in it that would change periodically? or perhaps (3) if trailing year total spend was intermittently not available (or available at zero for all passengers), would the PALL list then defer to the fourth order of ranking, fare class, in which case the other passenger would outrank me?
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
No.

Strange experience, though. Seems like another datapoint that the AA IT is still fully figuring out a lot of things.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I experienced this a few days ago on HKG-DFW. The PALL list showed me #1 at T-4 then would intermittently drop me to #4 then #1 0. Around T-1.5 I was fairly consistently holding at #4 and occasionally would be dropped to #7 and #1 0.

The flight was showing F1 J0 so I didn't bother asking about it. But when I scanned my BP at boarding an error came up and they handed me an upgraded J ticket. I was shocked. I looked at the PALL list on my phone to see what happened and I saw that #1 and #4 (me) were upgraded, thereby seemingly skipping over #s 2 and 3, although I'm not positive as the app could have been malfunctioning. Really have no idea what happened but I didn't complain in this instance.

Go Gators
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, National EE
Yes - on an EWR-DFW on 22Oct, the list kept showing me flip between #2 and #6 , and the order of the rest of the list also shuffled around. I could even bring the two "versions" of the list up at the same time on two different phones. Not sure which was the "correct" version (as even the gate displaying was alternating between both) but at the point they began processing upgrades at the gate they went through the version on which I was #6 , and #2 got the last upgrade, so either that was correct or I just got unlucky with timing. On the version on which I was #2 , I was ahead of the individual getting the last upgrade.

Good to hear it's fixed - it was very bizarre to see.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Seems to have happened to a lot of people in the past few days: UG Waitlist; 2nd to 1st to 2nd (late Oct 2017)

Apparently an IT glitch that has reportedly been fixed.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Wow....

I’ve flown PHX-LAX probably 25 times as an AA EXP and DL DM.

On this route, I have never once missed an upgrade, and a majority of my tickets are award tickets.

My EXP status and probably extremely low EQDs (I’m a mileage runner) put me at #4 for 1 seat on my flight tonight. This was a paid ticket, and there are 31 upgrade requests.

The rolling EQDs are alive!!!!

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 10, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.