Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Smile

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It should also probably be red in that case. @:-)
Brilliant!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Put me in that small, silent, cowardly minority of people that doesn't feel comfortable ringing the call button for routine drink/service requests.

With deepest shame, -jon
I would suggest we're not a small, cowardly minority (Well, maybe cowardly). On most flights I never see anyone hit the button.

I have been really tempted to hit it in the past and have talked myself out of it each time. One day I'll be assertive enough to hit it. So far I've used it once... When the gate agent came on the plane and asked [my name] to hit the call button because I'd gotten a battlefield upgrade.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:44 pm

I'd like to see someone ring the button and ask the FA to demonstrate how to put on the life vest or use the oxygen mask for them... just to be safe
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Thanks for the suggestion. I am now motivated to go ahead and push the call button and ask for "more of everything!"

(Little known fact: the call button is only to be used when the flight is oversold and your willing to give up your seat)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Until this thread, after 40 years of travel, I never thought twice and usually ring it at least once per long (over 2 hours) trip. Sometimes I was ignored but never got attitude.

when ignored, I ring it until it works. I still haven't gotten attitude.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:29 pm

My experience using the call button last year on UA Aspen to Denver: I fractured my leg skiing and was in a hip to ankle splint and on crutches. I pre-boarded along with a couple of other passengers who needed extra time boarding. One elderly, very large, pre-boarding passenger on oxygen fell and landed on his back in the aisle. I couldn't get up having parked my crutches so i rang the call button. Zero response from the FA's. Other passengers helped the guy on oxygen up and in his seat.
The FA finally DID turn the call button off when we were approaching DEN.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On many of the newer planes the light button and FA call button are too close together, especially when the cabin lights are dimmed (or off), I've the CB when I meant to hit the LB. On one plane before we took off I hit the CB accidentally and somehow ALL CBs lit for all pax in BC--they had to go the main console and do a reset.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
If there's one thing that can be concluded from these experiences is that more of you should file feedback complaints to AA citing the flight and name of FA whose service was inadequate or rude. Even on a domestic flight, the premium cabin should get a prompt and polite response when the light goes up.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I had a little tete a tete with an American cabin crew the other day. Pressed my call button twice within 15 minutes and got a "I am busy" response after the second ping, to which I replied, I am thirsty, should I help myself ??

She turned her back without a response.

When the Captain did a short walk about, I mentioned it to him - never did see the crew member again for the entire flight...but I did get a top up, in fact several... oh... it was a longhaul and I was in F !

Thank goodness the American culture of service industry tipping has not been extended to having to tip cabin crew !!
Old May 1, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
I hope you love company because I'm in that same camp.
Same, it's pretty much a "last resort" (albeit not *quite* that dramatic) usually when I can't get up without disturbing a neighbor* and the FA hasn't been through the cabin to flag down in ages.

I think I probably last used it in J on a redeye TATL after I was done eating (quickly) and wanted my tray collected so I could go to sleep. I definitely got a little bit of attitude. I was not going to carry it to the galley myself, and I'm sure the FA's probably would have preferred I didn't as well (lest I drop it or something).

* Disturbing a neighbor for a lavatory visit is completely acceptable , for a drink refill, I try to avoid it.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
I had a little tete a tete with an American cabin crew the other day. Pressed my call button twice within 15 minutes and got a "I am busy" response after the second ping, to which I replied, I am thirsty, should I help myself ??

She turned her back without a response.

When the Captain did a short walk about, I mentioned it to him - never did see the crew member again for the entire flight...but I did get a top up, in fact several... oh... it was a longhaul and I was in F !

Thank goodness the American culture of service industry tipping has not been extended to having to tip cabin crew !!
If tipping DID extend to cabin crew, a FA would be at your seat within seconds of your pressing the CB.
When I flew on DL (a long time ago), jfk-las, a routing which attracts lots of groups going to a bachelor party, they were buying lots of rounds of drinks AND tipping the FA.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
@nrr - tipping cabin crew - OMG !!!!

Last edited by Premier Owl; May 2, 2017 at 1:58 am
Old May 2, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Something else I don't believe that has been mentioned is that at the start of your flight it's is recommended that you keep your seat belt fastened at all times.

That certainly doesn't smack of go wandering up to the galley when you feel like it clogging up the aisles.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Something else I don't believe that has been mentioned is that at the start of your flight it's is recommended that you keep your seat belt fastened at all times.

That certainly doesn't smack of go wandering up to the galley when you feel like it clogging up the aisles.
Keep your seat belt fastened at all times WHEN SEATED. When the seat belt sign goes off, "you are now free to move about the cabin," as they say.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by josmul123
Keep your seat belt fastened at all times WHEN SEATED. When the seat belt sign goes off, "you are now free to move about the cabin," as they say.
Ah yes that is true.

One however would think the reasons to be belted when seated also apply to when you are walking around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.