Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Old Apr 23, 17, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Certainly my reading of it.
Kind of surprised you're even bothering to read this thread.

I do have to wonder what this thread's doppelganger is like on a.net or wherever the FAs gather. "Those annoying passengers who just think they can press the call button when they need water. So lazy!"
Old Apr 23, 17, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Jon appears to read all threads

I do have to wonder what this thread's doppelganger is like on a.net or wherever the FAs gather. "Those annoying passengers who just think they can press the call button when they need water. So lazy!"
I like the way that description belies the ridiculousness of FAs having a problem with the button. Almost like that line from Clerks: "This job would be great if it weren't for the %&!$*ing customers." You'd think they would appreciate the button because it keeps them from having to check on pax constantly. Oh...wait......
Old Apr 23, 17, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
Last year JFK-LAS PMAA FAs --

About 45 minutes after breakfast cleared away in F - no refills, etc. -- I ring my call button - FA comes, "Is anything wrong?" with a smile.

Me "No, but can I have a cup of coffee, black please"

FA "I'll be doing another beverage in just a little while" smiles and walks away before I can say anything. My seatmate says, "I don't think you're getting a coffee." We laugh.

About 20 minutes later she comes into the cabin and starts taking drink refill orders.

Gets to our row - FA "What would you like?" with no reference to my previous order. Me - "I'd still would like the coffee I asked for 20 minutes ago." With not even a breath she asks, "How do you take it."

Seemed like a clear message she didn't see any obligation to fufilling requests via the call button.
When she came back on her beverage service and asked "What would you like," I'd have been tempted instead to say "Your employee number, please, for the report I have already written in my laptop about your refusal to service me 20 minutes ago."

"And the cup of black coffee I wanted then."

Then show her the report and ask her to confirm its veracity.

Seriously, this sort of conduct really should be reported. She'd probably walk away blowing steam out her ears, but then again she just might think twice about how to handle similar requests in the future.
Old Apr 23, 17, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Flattered!
Old Apr 23, 17, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
To be clear, I've never gotten that sort of treatment from an FA upon pushing the button.

And most of the time I'm far more likely to welcome a chance to get up and stretch my legs anyway, even if I don't need to use the lav.
Old Apr 23, 17, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rdrnnr View Post
And most of the time I'm far more likely to welcome a chance to get up and stretch my legs anyway, even if I don't need to use the lav.
Yeah that's totally true too. I'll get up and ask for something if there's nothing making it inconvenient. Really any time you can get out of the chair has its own value.
Old Apr 23, 17, 10:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
After reading this thread, I feel like I've been lucky in the service I've received. In 40+ years of flying, I don't think I've rang the call button more than three times.
Old Apr 23, 17, 11:12 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
About 5 years ago the captain (on the PA) noted: use the call button if you need assistance from a FA; this was ONE flight out of 100+, over 10 years of flying AA where such an announcement was made.
Old Apr 23, 17, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
After being trained by the US carriers ... I requested something from the FAs on the way back from the rest room on CX J once and BA J another time, and both times i was met with a cheerful "oh you should just hit the call button" followed by excellent service at the seat. even in Y i have seen EK FAs very amiable and responsive whereas the US FAs are snappy relatively speaking. Moral of the story ... When in Rome ...
Old Apr 23, 17, 11:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU View Post
Jon appears to read all threads

I like the way that description belies the ridiculousness of FAs having a problem with the button. Almost like that line from Clerks: "This job would be great if it weren't for the %&!$*ing customers." You'd think they would appreciate the button because it keeps them from having to check on pax constantly. Oh...wait......
I would probably laugh hysterically if I heard a call button ding, then the FA said "I'M NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TODAY" and stormed back to serve the customer.
Old Apr 23, 17, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
On another note, I had many flight attendants tell me they prefer to work in J or F because there is always something to do. It's clear the Flight Attendants that are bothered by the call button are outliners.

Like I have said in a previous post as an EXP, the few times I have sat in coach I've had Flight Attendants tell me, ring if you need anything.
Old Apr 23, 17, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
And whne you do you use it the flight attendant will come over and say "hello sir what seems to be the problem".

Meh..
"The fact that you don't seem to be doing your job" would be the proper response.
Old Apr 23, 17, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Come on. Just get out of your seat and walk up to the galley and ask politely. I am sure that you'd get a better result that way.

Don't be high-maintenance.
"High maintenance"???? Hell, why don't they just let us go to the galley and have a pour our own wine and heat up dinner? Seriously?
Old Apr 24, 17, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
On the BAEC forum the OP would have been beaten to death with their own arm now and I think it is all refreshingly tame here.

That said I am not a shrinking violet when it comes to using the bell, sometimes I don't want to disturb a sleeping neighbour, and possibly other reasons that don't come to mind right now, but I really do not like the lecture that some FAs seem to give.

And I can certainly echo the ones that sit at the back and are on their phones/chatting, some will happily leap up and help, others would think you have asked for their first born. I don't use hashtags but if I did then I might use #ymmv .
Old Apr 24, 17, 1:33 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
After being trained by the US carriers ... I requested something from the FAs on the way back from the rest room on CX J once and BA J another time, and both times i was met with a cheerful "oh you should just hit the call button" followed by excellent service at the seat. even in Y i have seen EK FAs very amiable and responsive whereas the US FAs are snappy relatively speaking. Moral of the story ... When in Rome ...
On SH, the standard BA intro is "please hit the call button if you require any further snacks or drinks during the flight", or something along those lines.

Can't see any reason not to use it. Some people seem to have been conditioned into thinking it's the passengers duty to make the FA's lives as easy as possible.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: