Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Old Apr 23, 17, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Really?

I use it all the time and my main route the past 2 years has been DFW/JFK to GRU. In fact, after I've use it to request beverage refills the FA have come by more often asking if I needed anything else.
I used it a few times last Monday, the Flight Attendant actually offered me a wine tasting, we chatted for a few and she said... call me if you need anything else. She was wonderful I hope she is on my flight next week.

Originally Posted by kmersh View Post
I was flying DFW-GRU and I was actually told after pushing the Flight Attendant Call Button that it was exclusively for Emergencies ONLY and that otherwise I should wait patiently and that was in F.

So, since then I have avoided it like the plague and only contemplated using when an actual emergency occurred.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Apr 23, 17 at 4:37 pm
Old Apr 23, 17, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
How about having an option on the Inflight Entertainment Screen to order a drink or snack and the light above is Blue but in an Emergency you either press the Red Button and the light flashes Red with three tones pause three tones etc. being heard in the galley. A double tone for non emergencies. ...
AirNZ did this a few years ago - it caused much resentment from the crew who quickly found they could just forget to turn it on; or keep it on for a minimal time.

After 20+ years of flying Qantas domestically, I just call it the "ignore button". (To be fair, they do respond in a reasonably timely fashion about of the time.)

I agree with those posting about going to the galley instead.
Old Apr 23, 17, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by oysterhead43 View Post
But in the past, inflight service particularly on long haul flights was far more attentive. Now we have situations where passengers are left to their own devices for hours on end. Even in J and F.

So, the times they are a changing and so will I
The change I made was to stop paying for J and F.

On Norwegian a few weeks back, every time I ordered something through the IFE, it was delivered to my seat in under 60 seconds. Found it far preferable to sitting around for half the flight wondering when I'd get a drink.
Old Apr 23, 17, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Why do you think the button is there?
Old Apr 23, 17, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
exactly London Elite... to be pressed
Old Apr 23, 17, 6:11 pm

I remember sitting in F - this happened a while ago - and the FAs for F and for Y were chatting in the front galley. Someone in Y pressed the call button. The FAs stopped mid-chat and one of them went: "Did someone just press the call button?" in a tone signifying indignation. Her friend who was responsible for Y responded in a snappy way: "Oh they better not have. What on earth is their problem?" before continuing their chat. The passenger a few minutes later physically walked up to the FAs to ask an admittedly dumb question but still, I half smh'ed, half lol'ed.
Old Apr 23, 17, 6:22 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Where in the world did you hear the FA call button is only for emergencies?

Aye carumba... I'm going to bite my tongue on the rest of my thought...

Regards
With the crew in this thread, I'm in no way shocked that this is the reply they receive.
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Call button is there to summon cabin crew for service when they aren't actively delivering it. There's a reason it has a picture of an FA holding a drink on a tray.
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Why do you think the button is there?
There are also ashtrays on many aircraft. Both are relics from a former era.
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by oysterhead43 View Post

The moment I feel abandoned or poorly serviced, rather than sit there annoyed, the call button is getting pushed. I literally will be pushier to get the service I desire.

Why not!?
Come on. Just get out of your seat and walk up to the galley and ask politely. I am sure that you'd get a better result that way.

Don't be high-maintenance.
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
There are also ashtrays on many aircraft. Both are relics from a former era.
As far as I know aircraft still have ashtrays in the lavs. Even shiny new 787-9s.

And they're about as useful as the call buttons.
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Come on. Just get out of your seat and walk up to the galley and ask politely. I am sure that you'd get a better result that way.

Don't be high-maintenance.
With a food tray on top of you, the seat in lounging position (J cabin), sometimes it is impossible to even get out of the seat.
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
As far as I know aircraft still have ashtrays in the lavs. Even shiny new 787-9s.

And they're about as useful as the call buttons.
Not to derail too far, but I once asked a FA about the ashtrays in the lavatory. They said they're required to have a "safe place to extinguish a cigarette in the event a passenger decides to light one up."

Not sure if that's a real regulation, but it seemed to make sense.
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by josmul123 View Post
Not to derail too far, but I once asked a FA about the ashtrays in the lavatory. They said they're required to have a "safe place to extinguish a cigarette in the event a passenger decides to light one up."

It is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0d1078ca64a5a
Old Apr 23, 17, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by josmul123 View Post

Yes, it's seriously OT, but I just read about this today.
The ashtrays are installed because even though it's illegal to smoke in the lav, if someone does, it's preferred that they use the ashtray rather than the trash bin. Fire hazard.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: