Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by JY1024
Hehe...I think you're right. Though with the price stated, it comes out to a little under £325. If I were a betting man, I would have wagered the upgrade being priced right at £300. (So I guess it's good that I'm not a gambling man... )
Actually, I'd bet that the price was GBP 325 and that the discrepancy comes from the fluctuations in the exchange rate between when the upgrade was offered and the exchange rate on the day we did our math (since I doubt that the pound fell 7.5% against the dollar in that time, but it's possible). But I could be wrong (though I hope not, since I tend to be a gambling man ).
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by chanp
For lhr-lax I may consider, but still doubt it. Ill look tomm, as I fly lhr-ord. With the possibilities of all these new EXP's (UA, challenges, etc) I think CC may offer some great opportunities for a cheap exchange.
Did these newly-minted EXPs get the 8 SWU? I thought that they didn't always receive those right away.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Did these newly-minted EXPs get the 8 SWU? I thought that they didn't always receive those right away.
Good question, not sure.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
I've had the kiosk offer me an upgrade (J to F) twice now on DFW-NRT. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $500, although I didn't take it either time. I'd like to jump on that offer next time - can I use a different credit card than the original ticket was paid with to pay for the upgrade?

ETA: I'm pretty sure the answer is yes since I remember doing this on domestic flights before I had status, but not sure if it's different for international flights.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:44 am

Yes, you can - I think there's an option to use the credit card you used to find the reservation without having to re-swipe, but I don't recall.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by lovely15
I've had the kiosk offer me an upgrade (J to F) twice now on DFW-NRT.
Out of curiosity, were you on paid J or were you confirmed in J because of SWU or miles? Curious if that makes a difference.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FXEpilot77
Out of curiosity, were you on paid J or were you confirmed in J because of SWU or miles? Curious if that makes a difference.
Paid J.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Has anyone seen any Web-Checkin or Kiosk upgrades (discount Y to J) on the ORD-NRT routes? If yes, estimated price?

I see the one a few posts back reFW-NRT, so I've got some hope!

Basically, I'm seriously debating whether or not to bump myself on the way to SIN later this month (LAS-ORD-NRT/HND-SIN). It's a heck of a flight, but my account is sitting @ just over 50K miles and 50K+$700 is a bit hard to swallow right now for the RT upgrade (and I don't have any eVIPs, or anything other than karma to deal with on CC).

I don't really mind flying long-haul in cattle-class, and I've got 5 days in SIN so it's not one of the MR-murder-turns I'm used to, but this is my "The IRS is paid off! Treat yourself!" trip, so I keep going back and forth in my head. If kiosk upgrades ever happen on the long segment, I'm tempted to save the miles and just spend the cash/stickers to bump everything except the JA HND-SIN-HND legs.

All comments/thoughts are appreciated and welcome!

-SF
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:20 pm

Possible way to reconcile wish to sell LFBU and elite upgrades?

So I know everyone likes to play AA management, but today I got to thinking about how AA might maintain elite benefits while still selling LFBU: allow elites to LFBU with stickers but with a dollar value assigned. So, for example, let's say each e500 is good for $25 worth of LFBU, confirmed at check-in, it will allow elites to essentially dump stickers but at a reduced value (if an upgrade ORD-LGA is $75 then it will cost three stickers instead of two).

Now I know the big issue on everyone's mind and here's my response: only sell LFBU once all EXP have been upgraded. PLT and GLD will then essentially have the option of confirming sticker upgrades (but will be charged more stickers) or waiting it out to play the upgrade lotto.

Since most of my flights are now award/mileage upgrade/paid F or J my stickers are racking up and I'd be fine with dumping them for my ORD-LGA/BOS flights if it meant actually confirming upgrades at 24hrs.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
So I know everyone likes to play AA management, but today I got to thinking about how AA might maintain elite benefits while still selling LFBU: allow elites to LFBU with stickers but with a dollar value assigned. So, for example, let's say each e500 is good for $25 worth of LFBU, confirmed at check-in, it will allow elites to essentially dump stickers but at a reduced value (if an upgrade ORD-LGA is $75 then it will cost three stickers instead of two).
Not sure I understand. What you are describing is basically what the sticker upgrade system is today (for PLT/GLD/Y/B), particularly if X/R inventory happens to appear before the moment of OLCI.

Now I know the big issue on everyone's mind and here's my response: only sell LFBU once all EXP have been upgraded.
Absolutely agree on this one! But unfortunately, in many cases Rev Mgmt is holding back X/R inventory until very close to departure, well within the 100-hour window for EXPs, and sometimes even within the 72- or 24-hour windows.

PLT and GLD will then essentially have the option of confirming sticker upgrades (but will be charged more stickers) or waiting it out to play the upgrade lotto.
So you are saying there should be two rounds of sticker upgrades, one of them more "expensive" than the other? Again, not sure I understand.

Since most of my flights are now award/mileage upgrade/paid F or J my stickers are racking up and I'd be fine with dumping them for my ORD-LGA/BOS flights if it meant actually confirming upgrades at 24hrs.
I doubt many EXPs would agree.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Now I know the big issue on everyone's mind and here's my response: only sell LFBU once all EXP have been upgraded. PLT and GLD will then essentially have the option of confirming sticker upgrades (but will be charged more stickers) or waiting it out to play the upgrade lotto.
So you're suggesting no changes to EXP, but PLT and GLD should have two levels of stickers: one for those who want the upgrade, and another for those who really want the upgrade - at different rates? If AA wants to charge more for stickers, they should charge more for stickers.

At that rate, why not allow EXPs to buy stickers and qualify for upgrades using those stickers before those EXPs getting upgraded for free? Seems like the same logic.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
If AA wanted to ease people's expectations of getting a free upgrade, then they would have to drop free complimentary upgrades for EXPs and put them on the e500 system. I actually don't have a problem with this. Of course I say that with about 40 of them still in my upgrade bank. They could even hand out twice as many per 10K miles than PLTs and Golds. But the reason they have the LFBU program is to take in additional revenue. Substituting e500s for that revenue doesn't do them any good. If someone wants a surer bet of getting an upgrade, use an eVIP.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
If AA wanted to ease people's expectations of getting a free upgrade, then they would have to drop free complimentary upgrades for EXPs and put them on the e500 system. I actually don't have a problem with this. Of course I say that with about 40 of them still in my upgrade bank. They could even hand out twice as many per 10K miles than PLTs and Golds. But the reason they have the LFBU program is to take in additional revenue. Substituting e500s for that revenue doesn't do them any good. If someone wants a surer bet of getting an upgrade, use an eVIP.
Miles+Copay is also a good option to allow those who are willing to pay more to confirm an upgrade. Even as an EXP, I use this option when I book coach on coast-to-coast flights, particularly on the LAX-JFK route.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

All this does is raise prices in a random way for non-EXP elites. There's nothing wrong with the current system. My understanding is that they sell OLCI when all upgrade requests (EXP/PLT/GLD) have been honored and there is left over capacity. That does mean if you switch flights as an elite, you may find all F seats occupied. Also, unlike EXP's, PLT & GLD have been generating additional revenue through stickers for a long time. It may not be at the level of OLCI prices but it is incremental revenue and the delta between OLCI prices and stickers could easily be justified by AA to reward loyalty (unlike EXP where the loyalty value is 0 upgrade cost, for PLT/GLD the value is an upgrade discount).

IMO, the issues with upgrade availability have less to do with OLCI and much more to do with reasonable KUP/discounted F fares. As PLT, I'd often buy those to get out of the upgrade lottery. Even as EXP (just crossing the threshold), I'll probably buy them if they are reasonable.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:57 am

Sorry, perhaps I should have clarified: It seems that sometimes LFBU are offered before all stickers have cleared, and it understandably upsets elites because it's not supposed to happen that way. What's really a bit of a slap in the face is when it's offered to elites who have piles of stickers!

My solution would be to allow the LFBU to continue being offered on a first come, first serve basis within 24 hours, but allow elites to pay for them with stickers at a value below the sale price of stickers. So if a $75 upgrade is being offered on ORD-BOS and a sticker gets $25 worth of LFBU, an elite member could cash three stickers in when the LFBU is offered.

Sticker upgrades as we know them would still be intact, though some availability may be eaten up by LFBU. The only things that change are the opening of LFBU before all stickers have cleared and the ability for elites to trade in some currency other than cash to secure them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.