Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LFBU / DODU: Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (consol)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLATINUM
Went to check in last night for Pit-Dfw today, and AA offered upgrade to 1st...

For an additional $130. I bought the ticket for my brother to come visit, so I bought the upgrade to surprise him when he gets to the airport. I have never been offered an opportunity to buy an upgrade on AA before. Is this new Or am I out of touch?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by CUSO
Is this new Or am I out of touch?
You're out of touch...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:32 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CUSO
For an additional $130. I bought the ticket for my brother to come visit, so I bought the upgrade to surprise him when he gets to the airport. I have never been offered an opportunity to buy an upgrade on AA before. Is this new Or am I out of touch?
Very cool of you to also buy the upgrade for your brother! ^

As mentioned in the GuidePost for this thread, AA has indeed been offering LBFU's for select flights during the online check-in process. Members have reported seeing this for both international and domestic flights.

We've gone ahead and merged the recent thread with this existing discussion. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I feel like I've won a prize when this happens to me. I know that I have to pay $ to get the upgrade but it really cheers me up to have this happen.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:52 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Flying YYZ-MIA-SJU on 13 Feb, and the reverse on 18 Feb.

Has anyone seen LFBU on these routes and remembers the cost?

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Upgrading flight booked with points [miles - LFBU on award flight]

I did a search but did not find anything - I always assumed flights using miles were not eligible for comp Explat upgrades. The other day I flew on a booking made with Avios and had no trouble requesting an upgrade on the kiosk and clearing at the gate. Is this normal? Is it the same for Aadvantage awards?

Incidentally on one of the flights I was the only person seated in F. I figure that doesn't happen too often.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I found this in the FAQ (where is says "please check here first") - in the Upgrades section.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15556947-post31.html

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Thanks brp. So according to that I was ineligible to upgrade, yet was still able to. Does anyone else have similar experience?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: Various
Let's hope this thread gets shut down....the fewer people that know the better
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
My wife and I got upgraded on both segments of a flight we took last week that I purchased on miles. I'm PLT and I think what happened was the flights were overbooked so they upgraded those with status, though I still don't understand how I got onto the list altogether if you can't upgrade a points ticket. I'm not complaining though, not only did they upgrade us, they didn't charge me any 500-mile certificates.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
My wife and I got upgraded on both segments of a flight we took last week that I purchased on miles. I'm PLT and I think what happened was the flights were overbooked so they upgraded those with status, though I still don't understand how I got onto the list altogether if you can't upgrade a points ticket. I'm not complaining though, not only did they upgrade us, they didn't charge me any 500-mile certificates.
^Double score on that one!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I did a search but did not find anything - I always assumed flights using miles were not eligible for comp Explat upgrades. The other day I flew on a booking made with Avios and had no trouble requesting an upgrade on the kiosk and clearing at the gate. Is this normal? Is it the same for Aadvantage awards?

Incidentally on one of the flights I was the only person seated in F. I figure that doesn't happen too often.
I booked two round trip flights this year through Dynamic Air. 3 of 4 segments I requested an upgrade to FC when checking in our bags. When we got to the gate agent they assigned our seats in FC prior to boarding. They comp'd me and used my 500 mile upgrades for my partner. I could be wrong, but I believe it was because the seats were in the control of the airport at that point, not AAdvantage. Interesting because I knew we were not eligible using reduced miles and assigning our seats prior to boarding, but it didnt hurt to ask. Guess we got lucky!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The FAQ question brp linked to indicates LFBUs (Load Factor Based Upgrades) may be offered. Others, iirc, have reported being offered LFBU at the kiosk when checking in, even occasionally on award flights. I don't think there's anything really new here. It may be the "LFBU" thread reports some of these upgrades, but I'm not sure. In any case, congratulations.

• Can I upgrade an Award ticket?

Passengers traveling on Award tickets are not eligible to use 500-mile electronic upgrades (stickers), systemwide upgrades (SWU, eVIP), or Award Upgrades (miles + copay). However, these passengers may be offered the opportunity to purchase an upgrade (LFBU) when checking in at an airport kiosk.

In addition, it is possible to convert an Economy Award to a new Business or First Award for the appropriate number of additional miles without incurring a redeposit fee. However, the awards must be in the same category (MileSAAver vs. AAnytime).
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:50 am

Hi. I've read through the FAQ and this thread and can't seem to find the answer to my question

My wife flew LHR-ORD a couple weeks ago and took the LFBU offer of $500 from Y to J at online checkin. Looking at her mileage account she's only been credited the EQP for her original Y fare basis. Is that correct? Seems to me that a paid (albeit discounted) upgrade to J should qualify for J EQPs

She's doing a Plat challenge, and getting the J EQPs would put her over the line without another trip!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AndrewC
Hi. I've read through the FAQ and this thread and can't seem to find the answer to my question

My wife flew LHR-ORD a couple weeks ago and took the LFBU offer of $500 from Y to J at online checkin. Looking at her mileage account she's only been credited the EQP for her original Y fare basis. Is that correct? Seems to me that a paid (albeit discounted) upgrade to J should qualify for J EQPs

She's doing a Plat challenge, and getting the J EQPs would put her over the line without another trip!
AA is correct. For EQP, EQM, etc.. LFBUs are treated like SWUs, 500 mile stickers, etc.. you earn based on the original fare ticketed, not the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.