Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by keyw
With how recent the email was they probably didn't want to test their luck too early, I guess
I will wait a few months to have Flagship Lounge access in Mia. Despite the email they showed me, JFK let me in 12 hours earlier with no issue. So I guess the email was just to MIA. IMO, if the Flagship Lounge manager was not the one at the desk I would have gotten in. None of the others had any clue about it. At least everyone was very professional and nice about it.
Still a lousy policy.

Most of my AA issues also happen in MIA. Not their best operation.
keyw likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
I am EXP. The wiki here indicates Central America as a qualifying flight for flagship lounge access. Looking at AAs own site, I don't see that mentioned. Am I looking in the wrong place or have the rules changed? I haven't been to a flagship lounge since flying to Europe in 2019. I'll be flying to Costa Rica thru MIA soon and want to know what to expect.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iherebyresign
I am EXP. The wiki here indicates Central America as a qualifying flight for flagship lounge access. Looking at AAs own site, I don't see that mentioned. Am I looking in the wrong place or have the rules changed? I haven't been to a flagship lounge since flying to Europe in 2019. I'll be flying to Costa Rica thru MIA soon and want to know what to expect.
I believe the policy for FL (and AC) access was updated earlier this year. Here’s a post about it on OMAAT.
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...access-policy/
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Does anyone have experience using the Flagship First Dining upon arrival in JFK when you have checked luggage? I'll be arriving around 9:30pm tomorrow into JFK and would like to check it out, but what would happen to my checked bags, would they pull them from the carousel eventually and I could just get them at the luggage office?

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by drewdawg199
...but what would happen to my checked bags, would they pull them from the carousel eventually and I could just get them at the luggage office?
Either that or they'll be stolen.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA884
Either that or they'll be stolen.
You beat me to it.... Stolen is what I thought of.... In fact its crazy to me how easy it is for anyone to just take someones bag. I avoid checking for just the annoyance of waiting but these days with out a single person standing guard checking tags its def a real possibility.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Does anyone have experience using the Flagship First Dining upon arrival in JFK when you have checked luggage? I'll be arriving around 9:30pm tomorrow into JFK and would like to check it out, but what would happen to my checked bags, would they pull them from the carousel eventually and I could just get them at the luggage office?

Thanks
If you pop in quick and do a drink you're fine, you'll beat the bags out I would think. If you eat fire something right away, eat quick and head down. I mean I def. wouldnt sit there for more than 30 min. The single best thing they have is the parmesan cheese crisp which you can just ask for a few of on a plate and enjoy.. There are 1000+ places in NYC with better food than FFD. The caramelized fig old fashion is really good and so is the Navy Fog (or that may be Miami) Def get a drink. Dont take too long if you eat so the bag isnt obviously just going around on its own as the only bag left.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:38 pm

Sorry if this has been asked, but couldn't find anything about SNA or Orange County when I searched this thread. If I'm flying the SNA-JFK redeye in First, will I be able to access FF/FFD on arrival at JFK? The rules are clear that JFK-SNA gets FF/FFD departing from JKF, but I'm not sure about the other way.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by pongben
Sorry if this has been asked, but couldn't find anything about SNA or Orange County when I searched this thread. If I'm flying the SNA-JFK redeye in First, will I be able to access FF/FFD on arrival at JFK? The rules are clear that JFK-SNA gets FF/FFD departing from JKF, but I'm not sure about the other way.
Yes, all of the qualifying 3 class trancons (including JFK-SNA) come with FL and FFD access at both ends.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, all of the qualifying 3 class trancons (including JFK-SNA) come with FL and FFD access at both ends.
I thought ARRIVAL service for FFD isnt technically allowed but they let you in just because. or am I wrong?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

Thanks
I had exactly that situation about two months ago. My bag was at the luggage service office when I got down to baggage claim after eating. I stayed in FL until they closed around 11ish.

I do find it remarkable that in 50 years of traveling I've never had a bag stolen off a carousel. I once had a bag stolen after I was out at the curb waiting for a rental car shuttle, but never on the carousel.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Amil
I thought ARRIVAL service for FFD isnt technically allowed but they let you in just because. or am I wrong?
It absolutely is as long as you're connecting or already airside.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by enpremiere
It absolutely is as long as you're connecting or already airside.
I had no issue on my recent trip. I'd have been a bit irritated if I weren't because the SFO FL and FFD were closed (apparently permanently). But it was a non-issue.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
the SFO FL and FFD were closed (apparently permanently)
You mean LAX?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
You mean LAX?
I was going to say; if there was on at SFO it was a very well kept secret.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.