Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by quitecryptic
Is there a limit on how early you can enter flagship lounge? My connection is 4 hours, I know some like the centurion have a 3 hours rule.
Nope, as long as you meet the access requirements, there's no time limitation for AA lounges. Entering the FL 4 hours before your flight is no problem at all.
quitecryptic likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
I am BA Gold. Am I reading the rules correctly that I can take one guest plus one child under 2 (who doesn't count as a guest) on a domestic Y itinerary? Should I expect any problems with the attendant if the rules allow this, but they might not know?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
I am BA Gold. Am I reading the rules correctly that I can take one guest plus one child under 2 (who doesn't count as a guest) on a domestic Y itinerary? Should I expect any problems with the attendant if the rules allow this, but they might not know?
You won't have a problem, they know the rules very well - as a non-AA Emerald you do have access. I have both AA and QF Emerald so I enter the Flagship Lounges when flying Y domestically every trip and never have a problem, even when crediting the flight to AA, just show my QF card.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
I understand flying F on transcon will give me access to the Flagship lounge (and dining) both at LAX and JFK upon arrival:

what happens if I check a bag and I'm still at the lounge having some breakfast while the bags get to the carousel?
Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by hyperspace
I understand flying F on transcon will give me access to the Flagship lounge (and dining) both at LAX and JFK upon arrival:

what happens if I check a bag and I'm still at the lounge having some breakfast while the bags get to the carousel?
Thanks!
Same thing that happens if your bag doesn't travel with you for whatever reason. It'll spin on the carousel for a while, and at some point someone from AA will likely realize nobody picked it up and take it to the baggage office. Or it'll just keep circling for an hour. Or someone will steal it. But I think the first option is most likely.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Am I reading the rules right?

I’m BA Gold / OWE and I’m travelling AA domestic first class from LAS to JFK, I then connect on to BA First class out of T7. As the Concorde Room in T7 doesn’t have showers, can I stop by the Flagship Lounge and grab a quick shower before heading over to T7?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Am I reading the rules right?

I’m BA Gold / OWE and I’m travelling AA domestic first class from LAS to JFK, I then connect on to BA First class out of T7. As the Concorde Room in T7 doesn’t have showers, can I stop by the Flagship Lounge and grab a quick shower before heading over to T7?
Yes.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by coolcoil

Yes.
Great, thanks
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:54 am

I will be flying LAX-JFK(AA)-AUH (EY) all in F, is my understanding that I will have access to FFD in JFK as well?
And given the layover at JFK is only 2.5hr, if visiting only 1 lounge, should I go for FFD at JFK or EY?
My flight from LAX leaves in the morning so it will be breakfast menu at LAX.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by westsai
I will be flying LAX-JFK(AA)-AUH (EY) all in F, is my understanding that I will have access to FFD in JFK as well?
And given the layover at JFK is only 2.5hr, if visiting only 1 lounge, should I go for FFD at JFK or EY?
My flight from LAX leaves in the morning so it will be breakfast menu at LAX.
You will have access to FFD in JFK by virtue of the LAX-JFK First Class.

Given you only have 2.5 hours and need to switch terminals, I would head directly to Terminal 4. Personally, I would think there will be many future opportunities to visit FFD, while visiting EY's lounge less so.

Also, you will need to go landside, take the AirTran and clear security in Terminal 4. For me, not worth the rush to grab something in T8 FFD, then exit T8 and go to the train and then to T4 security.

Last edited by Global321; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:04 am
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Global321
You will have access to FFD in JFK by virtue of the LAX-JFK First Class.

Given you only have 2.5 hours and need to switch terminals, I would head directly to Terminal 4. Personally, I would think there will be many future opportunities to visit FFD, while visiting EY's lounge less so.

Also, you will need to go landside, take the AirTran and clear security in Terminal 4. For me, not worth the rush to grab something in T8 FFD, then exit T8 and go to the train and then to T4 security.
Thank you.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I’ve had an Admirals Club membership for almost 10 years, I only started consistently traveling internationally for work last year. Mostly I’ve been flying to Europe or Mexico, and my departure airport is ORD. When flying to Europe I’ve been on BA, so I’m always leaving T5. As such, I’ve been bummed at not being able to visit the Flagship Lounge.

Last week I finally got my first 3 FL experiences, flying ORD/LAX/SYD and back. (Side note: my trip was paid PE, upgraded both ways (on the long leg only) with miles+copay.) I was super-excited to try out the Flagship Lounge.

My overall all impression was... that it was okay, but not worth going out of my way for.

Leaving ORD, I had a late afternoon flight, but since I needed to meet a client who was arriving into ORD much earlier, I got to the airport at about 12:30. He was impressed to go into the FL with me, so that was nice. Otherwise, 1) Free, premium, self-serve alcohol is nice, but truthfully, there is only so much I can drink. 2) The food was okay but nothing special. Believe me when I say I am NOT a food snob, and I did like the chicken that was served, but the buffet-sushi was really not impressive.

Other than the food food and drink offerings, I did not find any amenity nicer than the Admirals Club.

Once at LAX, I’d had a very long day, so it was nice to take a shower. However, I have to say the showers in the ORD H/K Admirals Club are a bit nicer. Again the food was okay, but nothing special. (It was nice to pour myself a 4-finger Glenlivet and take it to the shower.

Returning from SYD, landing in LAX, I was definitely ready to relax and get another whiskey-fueled shower. I landed in TBIT, and my ORD flight was leaving from T5, but I headed over to T4 to visit the FL. I had a ~4 hour layover. At the FL I grabbed a quick breakfast (the best of all my FL meals) and a few drinks. I ended up only taking a Bloody Mary to the shower (it was 7:30am after all).

Anyway, the LAX FL was so crowded! Since I had plenty of time, I headed over to T5 for the Admirals Club. It was at about 10% capacity. It was spacious and quiet.

I guess my my point is, the FL is okay, but it’s not really worth going out of my way if I have access to any other lounge.

Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
I guess my my point is, the FL is okay, but it’s not really worth going out of my way if I have access to any other lounge.
Well, contrary to popular opinion on FT, your statement is almost universally of almost all airline clubs, of whatever variety (other than literally a few in the world that you can count on one hand)

It never ceases to amaze and perplex me the amount of emotional energy that people expend obsessing about getting into these clubs (e.g. status chasing, scheduling bizarrely long and unnecessary layovers, literally picking bizarre routings just to visit a club, etc.)

But to each their own I suppose...

Regards
Old May 4, 2019, 2:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Flagship lounge access rules was updated to include LAX-BOS/MIA provided you are flying in business or first class on a three cabin aircraft.

Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) for customers on flights operated by a 3-class Boeing 777-300 aircraft only (from May 3, 2019 - October 26, 2019)

Los Angeles (LAX) and Boston (BOS) for customers on flights operated by a 3-class Airbus 321T aircraft only (from April 2, 2019)
Old May 13, 2019, 2:28 pm

Flagship Lounge Eligibility - connecting intl J flight

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been asked already - I didn't see it come up in a quick search.

I'm a Platinum Pro traveling later this week from JFK-MEL as follows:

JFK-LAX (AA) in Y
LAX-SYD (AA) in J
SYD-MEL (QF) in J

I know I'm eligible to use the Flagship Lounge in LAX during my layover there, but as I am connecting to an int'l business flight on the same itinerary on the same day, does that mean I'm ALSO eligible to use the Flagship Lounge in JFK, even though my first leg is in Y?

Thanks so much!
Daniel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.