Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

All posts regarding AA 737 MAX 8 safety etc. as related to the crashes have been consolidated in one thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the 737 MAX 8. There are other threads to post to:

Recent crashes and effect on AA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-recent-737-max-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s.html

7M8 First / Business cabin and MiQ seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1880631-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-first-business-seats-etc.html

7M8 Main Cabin and MCE cabins, Meridian seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1892121-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-meridian-main-cabin-mce-seats-etc.html

7M8 Space overhead bins related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1951594-max-oasis-big-bins-agents-told-not-proactively-gate-check-bags-jan-2019-a.html

7M8 Spacewall lavatory related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1919254-737-max-8-bathrooms-air-carrier-access-act-compliant.html

Configuration is F 16, 156 Y (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi via ViaSat, 110 VAC Universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output.

For the Guide / master threads on this aircraft, please see

Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

and Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

In the order of Boeing 737 aircraft, AA included 100 737 MAX 8 orders with options for 60 more. The first 737 MAX -8 flew at the assembly facility in Renton, WAshington, USA on 29 Jan 2016. Deliveries to AA commenced in late in 2017, with four delivered in 2017. 16 more will be delivered during 2018, 20 during 2019. IATA code B38M; AA code "7M8".

NOTE: ALL 737-800s (and two class A321-32B) will be retrofitted to 737 MAX 8 seating, slimline “advanced“ lavatories, IFE and WiFi standards under Project Oasis over the next three years.
American Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 SSW

The 737 MAX 8* is essentially a replacement to the 737-800 with passenger capacity of 172. (Read onward for seat configuration.) Range with Advanced Technology (AT) Split Scimitar Winglets is expected to be 3,515 nmi (6,510 km). (In comparison, the APB Blended Winglets 737-800 has range of 3,115 nmi or 5,765 km fully loaded.) See this page on Gizmodo for more information.

The fourth generation 737 MAX 8 (first flight 2016) includes airframe and wingtip modifications (Boeing “Scimitar” Advanced Technology Winglets) for enhanced efficiency and will use the larger and more efficient CFM International LEAP-1B engines. This will allegedly allow a 20% improvement in fuel burn over A320 aircraft, a 4% improvement over the A320neo* (new engine option), a 14% fuel burn reduction over the 737NG / 737-823 currently in use and a 37% fuel burn reduction over the 757-200.

(*The slightly longer and longer range A321-200neo will come in 2019.)

Boeing 737-800 Scimitar Split Winglets

The 737 MAX has the Boeing Sky Interior with LED interior lighting based on the Boeing 787 interior, overhead bins and fee-based ViaSat satellite-based Ka band WiFi. Individual seatback seatback video screens are no longer offered; AA has chosen free high quality live streaming music and movies (streamed from an onboard server and generally using the free downloadable GoGo Entertainment app) and high speed ViaSat Ka band Internet are said to be both sufficient and “the wave of the future”. At seat power is universal plug at 110 VAC plus 5.1 VDC USB; "large" overhead (cases stand on side) bins are provided.

The new 787 MAX aircraft carry 172 passengers: 16 in First, 30 in Main Cabin Extra and 126 in Main Cabin for a total of 172. Main Cabin will feature 30" seat pitch with Rockwell Collins Interior Design "Meridian" slimline seats, which AA states these seats' 30" pitch "feels like" 31" and is a more comfortable seat than previous generations (of slimline seats). The new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y) are “densified”, as well.

(AA revised its original plans to provide some rows of 29" pitch seats in the MAX 8 by switching out one MCE row, as of 12 June 2017.) See memo posted by CO777 in post 377.

"An American spokesman said the airline will add 40 Max jets to its fleet by the end of 2019. It has 100 on order." Existing and remaining Boeing 737-800 / 823s (two-class A321 and 32B aircraft will be “densified” with the new Meridian seats and Spacewall lavatories as well) will be configured to the same seat plan as the 737-MAX 8, going from 160 to 172 total seats.

Link to full article in CNN Money, 3 May 2017.

*Boeing aircraft are changing nomenclature. Like the existing 747-8 and 787-8 and -9, the 737 MAX 8 on order by AA will be the -8, not -800.

HISTORICAL / COMPARISON:

Boeing 737-100 "Fat Albert" entered service with Lufthansa in 1968
MTOW 110,000 lb; Range 1,540 nm; 85 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-400 "Classic" entered service in 1984
MTOW 150,000 lb; Range ~2,100 nm; 147 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-800 "Next Generation" entered service in 1998
MTOW 174,200 lb; Range ~2,935 nm; 150-160-172 passengers in 2 AA class config

Boeing 737 MAX 8 entered service in 2017
MTOW 181,200 lb; Range 3,610 nm; 172 passengers in AA 2 class config

*Click HERE for a list of registration “tail” numbers of 737 MAX 8 deliveries.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The bulkhead row on the MAX is actually very nice, because there isn't a hard bulkhead.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
The bulkhead row on the MAX is actually very nice, because there isn't a hard bulkhead.
Interesting. That's definitely a problem with some AA bulkheads -- it seems like you can actually get LESS legroom in some bulkhead MCE seats. I assume that there are still trays in the armrest on the bulkhead MAX seats that somewhat reduce seat width, though?
Old May 30, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
Interesting. That's definitely a problem with some AA bulkheads -- it seems like you can actually get LESS legroom in some bulkhead MCE seats. I assume that there are still trays in the armrest on the bulkhead MAX seats that somewhat reduce seat width, though?
That is correct, though the exit rows have normal tray tables now so those are now my preferred seats.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:25 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
The Points Guy has an interesting article saying that AA allows coach passengers on domestic flights and international flights originating in the US to use the bathroom in any cabin. Yes this is contrary to the announcements we hear; however, it is apparently the actual policy.

Having experienced the new bathrooms it would appear to me that this is going to create havoc in the first class cabin with people waiting to use the lav. First of all POS absolutely won't use the rear lav nor will just large people. Throw in some moms and kids and this is a recipe for disaster. Think about those FAs who feel they are special secret air marshals ordering people to the back and threatening them only for AA to later have to admit that they really weren't trained properly. Then there is the hole handicap accessible issue which I don't claim to understand but I am sure one of our fellow members can elaborate on because I can tell you in no way are those lavs handicap accessible.

You have to give Parker credit though for his response which was that he hasn't seen them. I am not sure those extra seat are going to be worth the revenue when you factor in the negative publicity. And we wonder why AA can't keep up with Delta in the JD Customer Satisfaction surveys.

Last edited by abk; Jun 3, 2018 at 7:32 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by abk
The Points Guy has an interesting article saying that AA allows coach passengers on domestic flights and international flights originating in the US to use the bathroom in any cabin. Yes this is contrary to the announcements we hear; however, it is apparently the actual policy.

Having experienced the new bathrooms it would appear to me that this is going to create havoc in the first class cabin with people waiting to use the lav. First of all POS absolutely won't use the rear lav nor will just large people. Throw in some moms and kids and this is a recipe for disaster. Think about those FAs who feel they are special secret air marshals ordering people to the back and threatening them only for AA to later have to admit that they really weren't trained properly. Then there is the hole handicap accessible issue which I don't claim to understand but I am sure one of our fellow members can elaborate on because I can tell you in no way are those lavs handicap accessible.

You have to give Parker credit though for his response which was that he hasn't seen them. I am not sure those extra seat are going to be worth the revenue when you factor in the negative publicity. And we wonder why AA can't keep up with Delta in the JD Customer Satisfaction surveys.
yep AA actually declined in point in JD Power while Delta gained. This airline is being run by America West afterall.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abk

I think you're massively over-dramatizing the problem, although I know that some first class pax hate coach pax using the forward lav. Heck, when I sit in first class, I'm not terribly happy about it either. That said, I think on the MAX, coach pax will HAVE to use the FC lav on longer flights. It's just the law of numbers. You can't give 186 pax 2 lavs and 16 pax 1 lav. I'm pretty sure AA management knows this. And I guess they're OK with it. Honestly, it's something that AA first class pax will have to get used to. It will be a petty annoyance (like my previous example of bathrooms having electric hand-dryers and not paper towels); as the vast majority of coach pax will wait patiently for the 2 lavs in the back. But some will not -- and that will include me when I'm sitting in coach on a long MAX flight. Personally, I think they should have put a 3rd lav in coach. Maybe they will eventually. But if you can't handle sharing your FC lav on the Max with any coach pax, I think you'll have to fly a different airplane and maybe a different airline. Heck, you can fly the same plane on WN and not worry about anyone taking your FC lav, because there's no FC.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:23 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I think you're massively over-dramatizing the problem, although I know that some first class pax hate coach pax using the forward lav. Heck, when I sit in first class, I'm not terribly happy about it either. That said, I think on the MAX, coach pax will HAVE to use the FC lav on longer flights. It's just the law of numbers. You can't give 186 pax 2 lavs and 16 pax 1 lav. I'm pretty sure AA management knows this. And I guess they're OK with it. Honestly, it's something that AA first class pax will have to get used to. It will be a petty annoyance (like my previous example of bathrooms having electric hand-dryers and not paper towels); as the vast majority of coach pax will wait patiently for the 2 lavs in the back. But some will not -- and that will include me when I'm sitting in coach on a long MAX flight. Personally, I think they should have put a 3rd lav in coach. Maybe they will eventually. But if you can't handle sharing your FC lav on the Max with any coach pax, I think you'll have to fly a different airplane and maybe a different airline. Heck, you can fly the same plane on WN and not worry about anyone taking your FC lav, because there's no FC.
My guess is that you haven't seen one of these bathrooms and you are right it is "just the law of numbers". The point being that when you do fly this plane in coach and use the lav you will see that it is just another reason not to fly AA.

The more interesting point to me is when did AA change the policy about coach passengers not having to use the lavs in their cabin. Almost every flight I take (although I am not on AA that much recently) has that announcement to the that affect. Are they still doing it now even though the policy has changed? Have they retrained the FAs on this issue? I can imagine the potential for confrontation on these planes as the passengers wait to go forward and are told they have to return to their seats or go to the back of the plane. AA either needs to run with Delta or just be Ryan Air as I don't see how they can have it both ways.

As for the WN reference, I fly them as much as AA because at least with that company you know exactly what you are paying for and they deliver the product. My point on this issue is not from the prospective of a first class passenger who is inconvenienced but of a customer and business person who knows a bad business decision when he sees one.

Last edited by abk; Jun 3, 2018 at 9:28 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you love the MAX 8, you’ll love flying AA narrowbodies, given all 787-800s and A321s, two class 32Bs, will be refitted with the 30” Meridian, 33” MCE and 37” A319 F seats, not to mention the pint-sized Spacewall lavatories. The first retrofitted -800 is flying with 16-30-126; full conversion is expected in 2021.

Or you can fly Southwest with 32” pitch Meridians, full sized lavs and no densifucation to the 737 fleet. It looks like the new choice point may me miles or comfort if you’re not MCE eligible or need lavs not sized for children.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you love the MAX 8, you’ll love flying AA narrowbodies, given all 787-800s and A321s, two class 32Bs, will be refitted with the 30” Meridian, 33” MCE and 37” A319 F seats, not to mention the pint-sized Spacewall lavatories. The first retrofitted -800 is flying with 16-30-126; full conversion is expected in 2021.

Or you can fly Southwest with 32” pitch Meridians, full sized lavs and no densifucation to the 737 fleet. It looks like the new choice point may me miles or comfort if you’re not MCE eligible or need lavs not sized for children.
What's the pitch on the exit rows on the MAX 8? Does anyone know?

I never fly that far back in economy since AA introduced MCE. But with MCE going down to a paltry 33" (same as B6 gives in regular economy!), the exit rows are looking better again.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
You can't give 186 pax 2 lavs and 16 pax 1 lav. I'm pretty sure AA management knows this.
It is 156 coach pax -30 MCE and 126 other (seatguru has it wrong, if that is your source), but your point is still valid
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abk
My guess is that you haven't seen one of these bathrooms and you are right it is "just the law of numbers". The point being that when you do fly this plane in coach and use the lav you will see that it is just another reason not to fly AA.
As I've previously stated, I have seen new MAX lav, but not on AA. It's small. It's slightly annoying. It's not going to influence my selection of airlines or aircraft whatsoever. And 99% of the public will react the same (with 98% having no idea that they've booked a plane with small lavs).

What MIGHT influence a tiny percentage of travellers will be the annoyance of having to wait to use what seems to be an inadequate number of lavs. Of course, the extra revenue AA will pocket as a result of having too few lavs will almost certainly exceed the lost revenue by annoyed pax. And this is why air travel is not all champagne and caviar.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm not sure where some posters immediately above JDiver are getting their Max 8/refurbed 738 seat counts. It's a total of 172 seats.

A Delta 738 with 160 seats has three lavs. A United 738 with 166 seats has three lavs. I expect AA will see that 172 passengers can use three lavs.

I've used the smaller lavs in DL 739s and 319/320s. I am not a small guy. They are NOT roomy. But I suppose all of you high-mileage flyers have never, ever, used a lav in a CRJ-200 or its earlier variants? That is a handy reference. They've been in service for ~25 years with numerous carriers worldwide. Able-bodied people no larger than a 99th-percentile male will survive.

(People with walkers and wheelchairs? Oof. Stick to handicap-accessible widebodies delivered to U.S. carriers after 4/1992. 14 CFR 382.63)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:26 am

Look on the bright side... at 24", you can (as a male) basically balance yourself nicely between the walls with your shoulders during turbulent use of the lav to not have any "misses" using the loo.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by abk

So are the ones in F larger than rear? More normal size compared to legacy 738's, or still smaller, but just not as small as the ones in the rear?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
So are the ones in F larger than rear? More normal size compared to legacy 738's, or still smaller, but just not as small as the ones in the rear?
F lavs are 29" and Y lavs are 24", per TPG review of the MAX 8 a while ago: https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/rev......-nyc-miami/
bchandler02 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.