Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:57 am

The deal breaker for me with these fares is the standby/change restriction. On certain routes, I often go for a cheaper fare with an inconvenient connection or arrival time with the confidence that my elite status will permit me to change to the more desirable (and expensive) scheduled flight. It's very rare that I don't get the seats. It has to be an oversold flight.

I think this is another reason behind the fare. The current lowest fares allow elites standby access to desirable schedules. The lower fares are a way for American to squeeze more revenue out of sought after flights.

Originally Posted by bse118
Add me to the list of folks extremely unconcered by these fares.

My company's policy is lowest "reasonable" Y.

These are anything but reasonable.

What other carriers?

UA - has these fares.
DL - has these fares.
WN - nice little airline but no elite benefits to speak of, no meaningful international service
F9, NK - lol
B6, AS - good options if their limited route networks work for you.

There are reasons to jump carriers, I don't see this as one. Given that everyone is doing it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
Then said parents shouldn't buy these fares. Simple as that.

Of course, none of this is really new. You can find FT threads going back years where parents didn't want to pay to reserve seats in advance, and then were shocked and outraged that they had difficulty getting seats together at the gate.
I agree in theory, but on AA it's still extraordinarily difficult to pay a regular (domestic) main cabin fare and still get 3 seats together without paying extra (or being elite) unless you're booking 6+ months in advance. We'll see if AA pulls back on marking the vast majority of window/aisle seats as Premium or Paid in conjunction with the more expensive regular main cabin fares.
It's insult to injury to make a family (or anyone really) pay a higher fare and then extra seat assignment fees on top of that.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by arollins
Along with this, AA on time performance will go down again.
Actually, the one thing that I'm optimistic about with these fares is that boarding will hopefully be less of a mess since it finally does something about AA's fare/fee structure incentivizing bringing more bags into the cabin.

You and other people seem to be worried about how long it is going to take the GAs to announce a larger number of groups. As I pointed out earlier, this is silly. Getting through the gate is never the bottleneck in getting a flight away, and in general the announcement for the next boarding group is made while the previous group is still boarding meaning that it adds no time to the boarding process at all.

On the other hand, people trying to figure out how to stow their carryon bags very much slows down the boarding process, for two reasons: first, the very act of putting a bad in the overhead bin blocks the aisle and prevents more people moving onto the plane; second, as the plane fills up and overhead space becomes scarce a lot of time is spent with people in the aisle searching for space or (worse) moving upstream against people trying to board.

By reducing the number of people bringing large bags that need to be placed in the overhead bins, these fares should streamline boarding.

I don't think I'll ever buy one of these fares (I don't when I fly Delta), but I'm slightly optimistic that AA is rolling these out in a way that's not a carbon copy of DL/UA, and in some respects may be an improvement on both of those.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Can't see this fare being attractive to anyone with little ones. Nor can I see someone giving up their aisle or window seat in exchange for the 2nd parent's middle seat. Going to be some upset folks either way.
I haven't had to utilize it yet, but I have a strategy for the next time somebody in a middle seat asks me for my aisle seat so they can sit with their travelling companion.

"Sir, I'd like to help, but I paid $35 for this better aisle seat. If you can reimburse me for that expense, I'd be happy to help you out."

Either one of two things will happen: the man will hand me $35 (and I'd be willing to sit in the middle for $35), or he'll give up or bother somebody else. Seems fair.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by 466SHH
JDiver, the troubling parts of this for me are the use of the word "attempt" and the fact that the child will be seated with "an" adult - which I read as one adult traveling companion, but not two. Many toddlers (including some in my family) will wear you out if you don't have help. There is a reason that their adults travel in pairs. We love them, but some days they can be exhausting. And sitting still for hours in a thin metal tube does not help things a bit when you are 3 or 4.

Can't see this fare being attractive to anyone with little ones. Nor can I see someone giving up their aisle or window seat in exchange for the 2nd parent's middle seat. Going to be some upset folks either way.
Great arguments why people with kids shouldn't buy these fares.

I also expect that we will still see a bunch of threads starting with "I bought a BE fare, and now my friend is sick and AA won't give me a refund . . . "
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I agree in theory, but on AA it's still extraordinarily difficult to pay a regular (domestic) main cabin fare and still get 3 seats together without paying extra (or being elite) unless you're booking 6+ months in advance. We'll see if AA pulls back on marking the vast majority of window/aisle seats as Premium or Paid in conjunction with the more expensive regular main cabin fares.
It's insult to injury to make a family (or anyone really) pay a higher fare and then extra seat assignment fees on top of that.
It's also often difficult to reserve a single aisle or window seat in advance as a non-elite on popular routes, but that doesn't mean everyone's entitled to do so. If 3 free seats together aren't available, a family of 3 can split up or pay to sit together (which, again, has effectively been the case for years now). I see no problem with offering them those options.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by rjw242
It's also often difficult to reserve a single aisle or window seat in advance as a non-elite on popular routes, but that doesn't mean everyone's entitled to do so. If 3 free seats together aren't available, a family of 3 can split up or pay to sit together (which, again, has effectively been the case for years now). I see no problem with offering them those options.
On most European carriers you can not select a seat in advance unless you are an elite, or pay upfront. Free seats open up at T24. I have not seen too much boarding process circus as to what you see here in the US. Perhaps by having a no seat selection in EU carriers is what could potentially allow a family of 3 to seat together, as seats will be assigned at the gate. To me, it seems that there is a better seat allocation to the general non-elite traveler or family group in EU carriers as opposed to here in the US.

Also, the boarding process appears to be faster.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It's nice that elites do get some of their perks even on Basic Economy, but I'm guessing that doesn't extend to companions, even on the same PNR? I ask because I recently traveled with my wife on AA and even though it was the same PNR I had 'G'old on my boarding pass while she had boarding group 2 (which will be a much lower number now).

I wasn't sure about the 'rules' about her boarding with me anyway, so we boarded separately, which isn't as big a deal with assigned seats (as opposed to the Southwest experience), and we only had one rollaboard (which I took to put in the overhead).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ty97
AA (and the third party sellers) should warn about restrictions on these fares. As long as they are up front about it, the purchaser has no right to get upset (though they may still do so)

A warning such as that below will appear at delta.com if you select Basic Economy. Note that you have to actually check a box to affirm you accept the restrictions before you can continue

as long as they make it obvious, I have no problem with this and just avoid it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I agree in theory, but on AA it's still extraordinarily difficult to pay a regular (domestic) main cabin fare and still get 3 seats together without paying extra (or being elite) unless you're booking 6+ months in advance
I just booked seats for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids, (7 and 9 years old) for a trip 2.5 months from now. Honestly, I didnt see much affect. Most cabins are 3+3 on the routes we were looking at so sitting 2+ 2 across the aisle or 2 behind 2 was no issue nor extra fare.

Originally Posted by sbrower
Great arguments why people with kids shouldn't buy these fares. I also expect that we will still see a bunch of threads starting with "I bought a BE fare, and now my friend is sick and AA won't give me a refund . . . "
This are as close to SPIRIT airlines as possible so expectations ought be NIL. Anyone booking these fares expecting anything is pennywise, poundfoolish.

I didnt see peruse the 11 pages yet, but my only issue is HOW do they expect to enforce the policy? First off, overhead speace should be reserved for people in that aisle you're seated in. Wondering how the FAs are supposed to enforce the rules.....since they dont right now.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum 2MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, HHonors
Usually by the time this group boards the overhead bin space will be gone so I don't think it will be an issue to enforce.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by the phoenix
I didnt see peruse the 11 pages yet, but my only issue is HOW do they expect to enforce the policy? First off, overhead speace should be reserved for people in that aisle you're seated in. Wondering how the FAs are supposed to enforce the rules.....since they dont right now.
The burden will fall to the GA. The GA should catch the large rollaboard and gate-check it. I believe the intent is to not impact the FA's responsibilities onboard.

How that happens in practice remains to be seen. It sounds simple: everybody boards, then they call Group 9 and it's easy to see who had a large rollaboard with them.

The only thing unclear to me is the process for an RJ. If nobody gets a rollaboard into the plane to begin with, will the GA actually take away rollaboards from BE travelers while in the gate area? Or will they allow them to use the planeside cart like everyone else? This is the main time I can see the GA being in a really uncomfortable position, as there's no material reason the BE person couldn't use the cart...yet the rules as written would permit AA to collect a quick fifty bucks.

On a mainline jet, I agree with PHTX855: nowhere for that bag to go inside the plane, so it's an easy decision for the GA to gate-check it on the spot and collect the $50.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
So I'm pretty sure the process is gonna be, group 1-8 boards and then those in group 9, when boarding, they are checked for carry on. If it's too big then they get charged by the GA.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:46 am

I think that's a possibility. I don't believe on time performance is as important to American (or any other airline) as profitability. Extra baggage fees and keeping preferred seats available for people willing to pay more for them will drive profitability if not on time performance.

Originally Posted by arollins
Along with this, AA on time performance will go down again.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I haven't had to utilize it yet, but I have a strategy for the next time somebody in a middle seat asks me for my aisle seat so they can sit with their travelling companion.

"Sir, I'd like to help, but I paid $35 for this better aisle seat. If you can reimburse me for that expense, I'd be happy to help you out."

Either one of two things will happen: the man will hand me $35 (and I'd be willing to sit in the middle for $35), or he'll give up or bother somebody else. Seems fair.
How long has this been a thing?

I recently flew international with AA and the two side seats (both aisle and window) cost more than the seats in the middle. The last time I flew with AA international (probably in 2010), all coach seats were priced the same (minus exit row).

I usually fly with United and I've never had to pay extra for side seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.