Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.

Link to the FlyerGuide American Airlines Wiki
For older posts, please see Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by metallo
You basically answered your own question already. You're being asked because non-status companions always require a paid upgrade instrument on AA. For "domestic" flights (which includes Mexico, Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, and the Caribbean), you may use 500 mile upgrades ($40 / 500 mi.). For any flight (INTL or domestic) with the necessary inventory available ('C' inventory for Y-->J or 'A' inventory for J-->F), you may use miles/copay or SWUs for your companion.

On most US airlines, companions inherit the primary passenger's elite status. On AA, companions require at least 500 mile upgrades ("sticker upgrades") to be upgraded, except in the rare case of an op-up, which generally only happens when a cabin is oversold, and it's still a long-shot. Basically, your companion ends up higher on the list but still has to pay on AA.
Slight correction "non-status"->"non-PPRO/EXP." Because even if your companion is Gold or Platinum (as with my +1), someone has to cough up the e500s.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by phazedowt
Slight correction "non-status"->"non-PPRO/EXP." Because even if your companion is Gold or Platinum (as with my +1), someone has to cough up the e500s.
No correction needed, thanks. I replied to the previous poster (quoted again below), who specifically wrote that his companion had no status.

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Question: why am I being asked to use upgrade certificates for my +1 that has no status?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
QQ - has anyone gotten the extra SWUs for hitting 150k if 10 or even 20 EQM came from credit cards? Trying to figure out if I should actively go for them (have 2 cross country r/ts coming up with around 9k) or if I actually need to achieve 160-170k in which case it is very out of range.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kreative03
QQ - has anyone gotten the extra SWUs for hitting 150k if 10 or even 20 EQM came from credit cards? Trying to figure out if I should actively go for them (have 2 cross country r/ts coming up with around 9k) or if I actually need to achieve 160-170k in which case it is very out of range.
Credit card EQMs are real EQMs -- they aren't treated any differently than EQMs earned by flying.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium
Just made EXP for the first time. Would have made it sooner but I had a segment in CX PE SFO-HKG mysteriously post to my Asia Miles account instead of AA. No luck getting them to credit it correctly to AA but I also got an opup on that segment so I can't complain too much. Since I have no hope in getting to 150k EQMs anyways I might just keep those miles in Asia Miles to use for PE-J upgrades on CX.

EQD: 13,390
EQM: 105,207
EQS: 25
50ae and Gino Troian like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Re qualified for EXP

108,000 EQM and 10000 EQD was done between Jan 1 and Apr 15th of this year. Then took 6 months off.
george 3 and 50ae like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by nk15
On the positive side, you're probably the top EXP on any flight, so, for all intents and purposes, you can consider yourself a lowly CK...
For sure... I have only missed one upgrade this year and that was on a DFW/CLT flight that I changed to about 5 minutes before it started boarding. I gave up my F seat on the later flight, but weather was on the way and I needed to get home!

Had a few schedule changes through the end of the year, so wont hit the 400k EQM mark as planned. Will end up somewhere around 340k EQMs on 120 EQS.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Antarius
Re qualified for EXP

108,000 EQM and 10000 EQD was done between Jan 1 and Apr 15th of this year. Then took 6 months off.
Will do the same from now till next ~April. All flights are going to be personal reward, so 0 EQM/EQD. But April - Nov next year should be the heavy again. Will see how that goes...
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Re-qualifying flights just posted:

EQD: 12,503
EQM: 118,926
EQS: 65

A few more flights to go this year, should end up somewhere between $14K and $15K in EQD.

New system works well - made EXP on literally the same date but with less butt-in-seat miles than last year. Partner W is the sweet spot.

Another good year flying AA: Cleared all my SWUs on Y--J longhauls (4/4, plus one miles and money) and 90% of my domestic upgrades, and no AA major flight delays. YMMV.

Last edited by bse118; Nov 15, 2017 at 4:02 am Reason: correction
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
New system works well - made EXP on literally the same date but with less butt-in-seat miles than last year. Partner W is the sweet spot.
It definitely is.

Especially when you can book W and use Avios (e.g.) pretty frequently to upgrade to CW/J. ^
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:27 am

Wife (EXP) is flying with daughter back to college after winter break. I had to book separate tickets since my wife is returning home a few days later, and I only booked daughter 1 way. Will ex plat desk link the flights so my daughter can enjoy wife's status and potential upgrades on the outgoing flight?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Requalified on Nov 10th thanks to CDG-DOH in J A380!!!
13776 EQD
100075 EQM
31 segments

I have a few more trips scheduled, so I could reach 120,000 miles and ~16EQD

Last edited by zip10001; Nov 17, 2017 at 5:44 am Reason: image
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Just got back from a trip that made me EXP for the first time! I am very excited as I went from having no status in 2015, to PLT last year, and now made the mark to EXP still with two more trips this year to go.

Currently at $16,673 EQD
128,234 EQM
126 segments flown.

Mostly last minute business travel. ~ 80% business 20% leisure

Last edited by SpinOn2; Nov 17, 2017 at 10:17 am
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by hbtan
Just made EXP for the first time. Would have made it sooner but I had a segment in CX PE SFO-HKG mysteriously post to my Asia Miles account instead of AA. No luck getting them to credit it correctly to AA but I also got an opup on that segment so I can't complain too much. Since I have no hope in getting to 150k EQMs anyways I might just keep those miles in Asia Miles to use for PE-J upgrades on CX.

EQD: 13,390
EQM: 105,207
EQS: 25
Woah!!!! How eerily similar to my recent qualificatioN!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:49 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Thanks... This info helps indeed...

Looks like I have e500 miles certificates to cover the upgrading. What made me question things is that it appeared I needed to also accept the default of also using certificates to be added to the upgrade protocols also.
Don't forget that once you are EXP you will NO LONGER EARN 500-mile upgrade certs.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way and am now having to move some more of my flying back to DL (Hawaii and Caribbean trips) because my gf will get upgraded with me on DL automatically.

I wish I would have known this before I started getting EXP last year.

I hold top tier status on both AA and DL from all leisure travel but our vacation this month is to Aruba on AA.....which will wipe out all but 2 500-mile certs I have left.

For the record, I think its pretty darn backwards that AA stops issuing 500-mile certs for EXPs. Usually airlines give you MORE benefits with their upper tiers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.