Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges supersede the 2016 Challenge, now obsolete.

Please read before asking questions. Read the Feb 2018 email sent Challengers in Post #1.

Please help update information or fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

NOTE: As of April 13:

I hope my email finds you and yours safe and well and having celebrated a nice Easter!

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your AAdvantage® elite challenge. I understand your concern.

Please know we are monitoring this situation very closely and constantly evaluating how to best serve our members in this quickly changing environment.

At this time, we are not pausing or extending challenge end dates. If you are not able to meet the requirements contact us after the end date of the qualification period, April 30th when we are in a better position to evaluate any canceled travel due to the virus. At that time, we will review your account and evaluate the situation on a individual basis.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this evolving situation.

As always, thanks for being an AAdvantage member! We appreciate you.

NOTE: AA is now accepting miles as well as dollars for Challenges, at 10,000 miles per $100.

NOTE: American Airlines generally doesn't offer status matches to elite members of other airlines' frequent flyer schemes; they offer paid Challenges, shortcuts to status. AA have made significant changes to the AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge initiated 2016 (originally begun in 1998) available to anyone, regardless of status on AA or another airline (unless these people have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status - that is not allowed). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted affinity groups; some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

See the obsolete thread regarding the Challenge prior to 2016 here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

="3"%Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?

="3"%AAdvantage Gold status:Earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 8 Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS
AND earn $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Gold / GLD benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

="3"%AAdvantage Platinum status: Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Platinum / PLAT benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019 (same as 2018):

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019):
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $380 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $480 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Fees we know so far for Jun-Dec 2019):
  • $140 GOLD challenge without interim status
  • $320 GOLD challenge with Gold interim status
  • $240 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $430 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $540 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Challenge begun on or before 15 June 2019: after successful challenge your earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2020

Challenge begun on or after 16 Jun: after successful challenge earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2021

NOTE: See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) for further information about earning EQD credit on AA and partner airlines.

="2"%Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated as far five days (If you aren’t requesting and paying for interim status).

="2"%Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

2019 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2019 earn status good through 31 Jan 2020; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2021. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)
2018 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2018 earn status good through 31 Jan 2019; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2020. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

="2"%Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines
  • AY Finnair
  • BA British Airways
  • IB Iberia
  • JL Japan Airlines
  • QF Qantas as it is part of the JBA should work

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are generally the exceptions to this requirement.

="2"%Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) and AY, BA, IB, JL and QF marketed flights you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1.5 EQM per base mile flown in Premium Economy
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares, 0.5 on Basic Economy
  • Earning should always be checked on the marketing carrier’s page on aa.com

For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

="2"%Q. Is there a passenger age requirement for the challenge?

No.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 toward your challenge fee.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card spend EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Will my baggage, upgrade and other incidental spend be calculated as EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

="2"%Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

="2"%Q. Must I fly four segments at least marketed by AA?

No; there is no longer a requirement for earning AAdvantage status in 2017. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status.

="2"%Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

="2"%Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

This now depends on a fee paid at the beginning of your Challenge. See Challenge criteria above.

="2"%Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status.
Current policy appears to be that if you sign up for a Platinum Challenge without interim status then you will not be granted gold upon fulfilling the Gold Challenge criteria until after the last day of the Platinum Challenge should you happen to fall short of meeting the Platinum Challenge criteria yet still met the Gold Challenge criteria.

="2"%Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQD and EQS to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

="2"%Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

="2"%Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well. (However, AA may be getting more liberal about permitting challenges, according to some posts.)

See the first post for the known history of the AA Status Challenge.

LINK to archive of older posts from this thread.

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within 18 months after your miles were lost from account inactivity the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:44 pm

Thanks, Mvoight. I had the impression from the Wiki specific to earning miles under a status challenge, only OW partner airlines will count. That AA code-share flights otherwise would not. If that is not the case it will be great.

Although I have a better understanding after reading the Wiki, I'm still uncertain on some of the nuances. Maybe the miles will count for normal accrual, and AA runs the challenge in the background. Two sets of books. There was one post mentioning something along those lines in the Wiki.

I still can't find anything about the Gold / Plat status challenge directly on aa.com. Only in forum & the Wiki link dc10 posted.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Thanks, Mvoight. I had the impression from the Wiki specific to earning miles under a status challenge, only OW partner airlines will count. That AA code-share flights otherwise would not. If that is not the case it will be great.

Although I have a better understanding after reading the Wiki, I'm still uncertain on some of the nuances. Maybe the miles will count for normal accrual, and AA runs the challenge in the background. Two sets of books. There was one post mentioning something along those lines in the Wiki.

I still can't find anything about the Gold / Plat status challenge directly on aa.com. Only in forum & the Wiki link dc10 posted.
The coding is what matters. The HA operated flight is coded as AA therefore it is treated as an AA flight for earning. What you need to watch out for are flights sold as an OW carrier flight, but operated by a non-OW carrier. Ie JL6644 HNL-KOA. While JL is OW, HA is not. Thus as a non-AA coded flight operated by a non-OW carrier doesn't earn, thus doesn't count. This despite the HA flight that operates JL6644 being also sold as AA7903, which would earn.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The coding is what matters. The HA operated flight is coded as AA therefore it is treated as an AA flight for earning. What you need to watch out for are flights sold as an OW carrier flight, but operated by a non-OW carrier. Ie JL6644 HNL-KOA. While JL is OW, HA is not. Thus as a non-AA coded flight operated by a non-OW carrier doesn't earn, thus doesn't count. This despite the HA flight that operates JL6644 being also sold as AA7903, which would earn.
It’s pretty tricky, because with (Qantas and) Japan Airlines marketed / coded flights operated by non-one world airlines the EQ generally will qualify for AA EQ. Exceptions to be sure, but AA marketed / coded flights, as you say, ALWAYS are AA qualifying regardless of which airline is the operating carrier.

We’ll merge this into the Challenge Help Desk thread soon. /Moderator
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:04 am

Thanks flyerCO! I just booked my flight. If all the legs count, I'll have 16,428 EQMS and $2051 EQDs - enough for successfully meeting the Plat challenge, all in one flight, which will be great!

Assuming of course AA hasn't made any changes since the last Wiki update and all goes off without a hitch when I call customer service for the challenge. But from the Wiki posts it seems folks haven't been turned down or encountered issues signing up, unless it was too soon since their last challenge.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:08 am

JDIver, thanks for merging into the Challenge Wiki! That thread was very helpful and contained much good information. I'll report there in the morning how it goes when I call for the challenge.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:32 am

First time posting here. I have two trips coming up soon, DFW-ICN in November in P, and DFW-LHR in December in I. Currently a Gold status holder, if I sign up for the Platinum challenge with Interim Platinum status, would it also help with our current upgrade request with miles and copay for DFW-ICN? There are 5 people in PNR, so I know my chances are not great right now...

Last edited by Sonia Shin; Sep 23, 2019 at 5:41 am
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:25 am

Posting here because the thread hasn't merged yet.

I called AA customer service this morning and am now enrolled in Elite Challenge For Platinum!! It was $220.00 for the challenge, with no interim status. The customer service rep confirmed all my information, including that I'll make Plat with my trip tomorrow. Received my confirmation email while we were still on the phone. Call was about 13 minutes, including wait time.

The call could have easily been 5 minutes less time, except the rep grew up a couple miles from my address, and we chatted about that. He asked me if I was enrolled in the Dining program (I'm not) and mentioned a couple of my favorite restaurants here, that he had eaten at when he was back to visit his family last, and are in the program. He was a great AA rep and I'll actually enroll in the Dining program completely because of him. One of the best overall AA customer experiences I've had in a long time.

(OK, for all I know, with all the data instantaneously available these days, a rep could never have been within 100 miles of my house, and still easily pull up enough information during the call, to establish that rapport . LoL. But that's OK. If the case, it was harmless, and either way, great service. I hope it was real though and sometimes it really is a small world!)

MOST IMPORTANT - Thank you FlyerTalk folks for all your help to me --- posting the link to the thread I was looking for --- and on my questions on the challenge. This was time sensitive because I needed to book a ticket almost sold out in F in a J code, flying tomorrow that was likely to snapped up soon, so I had to get my ducks in a row quickly coming up to speed and the strategy on the purchase. FlyerTalk really helped me out --- well, not just helped out, but was the difference in success. The rep danced around it a bit, but sort of confirmed indirectly the challenge info is not on aa.com. I probably wouldn't have found the challenge info, and sorted it out in the time I had left to secure the booking on my own, without help from FlyerTalk. Big Thanks to Everyone who helped me with this!!!!
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pibrahim
Hello!

I rang AA last night to discuss the status challenge. I'd like to go for Platinum and just wanted to check I've got everything down correctly....

-I need to get 12,500 EQMs and $2000 EQDs

-I'm going to fly DUB to NYC in Business as there's currently good prices on this route with OW airlines

-My options are either AA or BA. If I fly with an AA flight, regardless of whether its BA or AA metal, my understanding is I'll get the following:

EQMs: Around 15,000 (7,500 odd for the round trip, depending on the routing, doubled for biz class)
EQDs: 1332. Fare is around $1500, minus taxes etc comes to $1332.
Award miles: 6,660 - the fare in USD multiplied by 5

however, if I book basically the same flight with BA, I get:

EQMs: Again, 15,000-odd (double the miles)
EQDs: 25% of the miles flown, so 25% of 7,500 (rough figure) is 1,875
Award miles: 100% of the base miles (7,500) with 25% cabin bonus = 9,375

(Assuming the flight isn't BA marketed but Aer Lingus operated - I read elsewhere that that won't count?)

If I've got that correctly, booking with BA (whether BA or AA operated) will get me more EQDs and more award miles. Which would mean I'll be nearly at the $2,000 EQD target, and I'll exceed the EQM target.

Is there anything I've missed or got totally wrong there? Or is it the case that when flying in a premium cabin and crediting to AA, its better to fly on BA marketed flights?

And do I need to activate the challenge before I book, or merely before I fly?

Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by pibrahim
And as a quick addendum - I can book the BA-operated flights as Finnair-marketed flights. Presumably it makes sense to do this above the other options, as Finnair marketed flights in I (the biz class leg books into I) earn 40% EQDs rather than the 25% EQDs with BA?

EDIT - Ignore - booking class I is still only 25% with Finnair, its only the higher classes that are 40%.
Just remember that "BA-marketed" is not the same thing as "bought from BA".

And, yes, flying ex-DUB means you definitely need to watch out for BA-marketed / Aer Lingus (EI)-operated.

AA has allowed backdating of challenge start dates, but not by much, and I wouldn't try it unless I had to.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:13 pm

Started the Plat challenge on Monday. Flew yesterday DCA - KOA, on a ticket in J that meets the EQM & EQD requirements. Just checked this morning and new Plat status already reflects in my account!

Super easy process. Thanks again everyone.
JDiver and mnfilmer like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Sonia Shin
First time posting here. I have two trips coming up soon, DFW-ICN in November in P, and DFW-LHR in December in I. Currently a Gold status holder, if I sign up for the Platinum challenge with Interim Platinum status, would it also help with our current upgrade request with miles and copay for DFW-ICN? There are 5 people in PNR, so I know my chances are not great right now...
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Platinum (see here for a listing of benefits) will help with baggage allowance, lounge access (often with a guest), etc. But for upgrade requests, not very much because the order in which upgrade requests is 1) status (Concierge Key, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum, Gold, no status, 2) type of upgrade, 3) EQD 12 month spend, etc. link.

To benefit all higher upgrades would have to be satisfied first, you’d have to be on your own PNR (five in one PNR, five or more seats would have to become available).
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL
As a potentially interesting datapoint, I called as a DL DM and was offered (via email) EXP for three months (for free) with a challenge to keep it through 2021 — $5k EQD and 35k EQM on select partners.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:34 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
What is considered a “status exception”? Just challenges or also status given by a company through Business Extra?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
As a potentially interesting datapoint, I called as a DL DM and was offered (via email) EXP for three months (for free) with a challenge to keep it through 2021 — $5k EQD and 35k EQM on select partners.
How long was the challenge period? Was it 3 months as well? Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Same, as UA 1K. To clarify, EXP would be good through Jan. 31, 2021.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Successfully signed up for a status challenge end Dec to end Mar! Requires 35000 EQM and $5000 EQD, after which EXP will be extended until Jan 31 2021 and 4 Systemwide upgrades deposited into my account. I submitted proof of UA 1K and DL PM. Eligible airlines are AA, BA, IB, AY and JL (No Qantas)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.