Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges supersede the 2016 Challenge, now obsolete.

Please read before asking questions. Read the Feb 2018 email sent Challengers in Post #1.

Please help update information or fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

NOTE: As of April 13:

I hope my email finds you and yours safe and well and having celebrated a nice Easter!

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your AAdvantage® elite challenge. I understand your concern.

Please know we are monitoring this situation very closely and constantly evaluating how to best serve our members in this quickly changing environment.

At this time, we are not pausing or extending challenge end dates. If you are not able to meet the requirements contact us after the end date of the qualification period, April 30th when we are in a better position to evaluate any canceled travel due to the virus. At that time, we will review your account and evaluate the situation on a individual basis.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this evolving situation.

As always, thanks for being an AAdvantage member! We appreciate you.

NOTE: AA is now accepting miles as well as dollars for Challenges, at 10,000 miles per $100.

NOTE: American Airlines generally doesn't offer status matches to elite members of other airlines' frequent flyer schemes; they offer paid Challenges, shortcuts to status. AA have made significant changes to the AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge initiated 2016 (originally begun in 1998) available to anyone, regardless of status on AA or another airline (unless these people have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status - that is not allowed). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted affinity groups; some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

See the obsolete thread regarding the Challenge prior to 2016 here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

="3"%Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?

="3"%AAdvantage Gold status:Earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 8 Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS
AND earn $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Gold / GLD benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

="3"%AAdvantage Platinum status: Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Platinum / PLAT benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019 (same as 2018):

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019):
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $380 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $480 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Fees we know so far for Jun-Dec 2019):
  • $140 GOLD challenge without interim status
  • $320 GOLD challenge with Gold interim status
  • $240 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $430 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $540 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Challenge begun on or before 15 June 2019: after successful challenge your earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2020

Challenge begun on or after 16 Jun: after successful challenge earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2021

NOTE: See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) for further information about earning EQD credit on AA and partner airlines.

="2"%Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated as far five days (If you aren’t requesting and paying for interim status).

="2"%Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

2019 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2019 earn status good through 31 Jan 2020; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2021. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)
2018 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2018 earn status good through 31 Jan 2019; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2020. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

="2"%Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines
  • AY Finnair
  • BA British Airways
  • IB Iberia
  • JL Japan Airlines
  • QF Qantas as it is part of the JBA should work

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are generally the exceptions to this requirement.

="2"%Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) and AY, BA, IB, JL and QF marketed flights you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1.5 EQM per base mile flown in Premium Economy
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares, 0.5 on Basic Economy
  • Earning should always be checked on the marketing carrier’s page on aa.com

For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

="2"%Q. Is there a passenger age requirement for the challenge?

No.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 toward your challenge fee.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card spend EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Will my baggage, upgrade and other incidental spend be calculated as EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

="2"%Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

="2"%Q. Must I fly four segments at least marketed by AA?

No; there is no longer a requirement for earning AAdvantage status in 2017. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status.

="2"%Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

="2"%Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

This now depends on a fee paid at the beginning of your Challenge. See Challenge criteria above.

="2"%Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status.
Current policy appears to be that if you sign up for a Platinum Challenge without interim status then you will not be granted gold upon fulfilling the Gold Challenge criteria until after the last day of the Platinum Challenge should you happen to fall short of meeting the Platinum Challenge criteria yet still met the Gold Challenge criteria.

="2"%Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQD and EQS to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

="2"%Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

="2"%Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well. (However, AA may be getting more liberal about permitting challenges, according to some posts.)

See the first post for the known history of the AA Status Challenge.

LINK to archive of older posts from this thread.

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within 18 months after your miles were lost from account inactivity the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:45 pm

I have the following booked

SYD-NRT JL772 "S" class
NRT-JFK JL4 "S" Class
JFK-YUL AA3940 "S" Class
DCA-LGA AA4319 "S" Class
JFK-NRT JL3 "S" Class
NRT-SYD JL771 "S" Class

These are all on 131 (JAL)ticket stock

Would these qualify for the Executive Platinum Challenge?

I am already OWS as a QF Gold.

Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by motef
I have the following booked

SYD-NRT JL772 "S" class
NRT-JFK JL4 "S" Class
JFK-YUL AA3940 "S" Class
DCA-LGA AA4319 "S" Class
JFK-NRT JL3 "S" Class
NRT-SYD JL771 "S" Class

These are all on 131 (JAL)ticket stock

Would these qualify for the Executive Platinum Challenge?

I am already OWS as a QF Gold.

Thanks
1) What Executive Platinum challenge? Unless you’ve been targeted for a special offer, AA offers Gold and Platinum challenges (only).

2) Ticket stock is irrelevant.

3) AA and JL marketed and operated flights certainly qualify, governed by the respective marketing airline’s fare code and it’s earnings as determined by the AAdvantage charts. (Exceptionally, most JL marketed flights qualify even if not operated by one world airlines, iirc.)
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
1) What Executive Platinum challenge? Unless you’ve been targeted for a special offer, AA offers Gold and Platinum challenges (only).

2) Ticket stock is irrelevant.

3) AA and JL marketed and operated flights certainly qualify, governed by the respective marketing airline’s fare code and it’s earnings as determined by the AAdvantage charts. (Exceptionally, most JL marketed flights qualify even if not operated by one world airlines, iirc.)
Thanks for the reply.

I got confused on the AA status levels, I mean Platinum Challenge

Can I use GC Mapper to calculate the EQM?
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

I got confused on the AA status levels, I mean Platinum Challenge

Can I use GC Mapper to calculate the EQM?
No worries.

GC Mapper will be accurate within less than ten miles, IME.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:10 pm

So checking at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/japan-airlines.jsp
tells me that S class books at 1.00 EQMs per mile flown on JAL

I am confused on the EQDs though as it states 10% EQDs per mile flown on JAL.

I do not have any knowledge of EQDs sorry

GC Mapper gives

SYD-NRT JL772 "S" class 4,846 miles
NRT-JFK JL4 "S" Class 6,745 miles
JFK-YUL AA3940 "S" Class 333miles
DCA-LGA AA4319 "S" Class 214miles
JFK-NRT JL3 "S" Class 6,745 miles
NRT-SYD JL771 "S" Class 4,846miles
23,729 miles in total

Last edited by motef; Jun 29, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

So checking at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/japan-airlines.jsp
tells me that S class books at 1.00 EQMs per mile flown on JAL

I am confused on the EQDs though as it states 10% EQDs per mile flown on JAL.

I do not have any knowledge of EQDs sorry
You’ll be required to earn X EQ Miles and Y EQ Dollars (see the Wikipost at the top of the page) and on JL flights the EQD are calculated at 10% of flown miles. The problem with JL S is you’re credited with 50% of Base miles, so you’ll figure (50% of GC distance x 1.0) for EQM, and (50% of GC distance x 10%) to calculate EQD.

Flying AA flights, EQM = GC Mapper and EAD = fare + carrier imposed fees, if any (excludes taxes, fees, etc.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 4, 2019 at 12:21 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:16 pm

You’ll be required to earn X EQ Miles and Y EQ Dollars (see the Wikipost at the top of the page) and on JL flights the EQD are calculated at 10% of flown miles. The problem with JL S is you’re credited with 59% of Base miles, so you’ll figure (50% of GC distance x 1.0) for EQM, and (50% of GC distance x 10%) to calculate EQD.

Flying AA flights, EQM = GC Mapper and EAD = fare + carrier imposed fees, if any (excludes taxes, fees, etc.)
So the calculations for this itinerary would be
SYD-NRT JL772 "S" class 4,846 miles / 2 x 1.0 = 2,423 EQM and $242.30 EQD
NRT-JFK JL4 "S" Class 6,745 miles /2 x 1.0 = 3,373.5 EQM and $337.25 EQD
JFK-YUL AA3940 "S" Class 333miles = 333 EQM and I am unsure on cost for this sector as i only have total cost for all sectors
DCA-LGA AA4319 "S" Class 214miles = 214 EQM and I am unsure on cost for this sector as i only have total cost for all sectors
JFK-NRT JL3 "S" Class 6,745 miles /2 x 1.0 = 3,373.5 EQM and $337.25 EQD
NRT-SYD JL771 "S" Class 4,846miles / 2 x 1.0 = 2,423 EQM and $242.30 EQD

Total EQM 12,140
Total EQD $1,159 with cost of AA sectors to be added

So will find out the cost of the AA sectors from my OTA.

And my cost for the AA segments will be in Australian dollars. Do i need to convert this to US dollars to get the EQD?

Am i on the right track?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:22 am
Original Poster

JFK-YUL AA3940 "S" Class 333miles = 333 EQM and I am unsure on cost for this sector as i only have total cost for all sectors
DCA-LGA AA4319 "S" Class 214miles = 214 EQM and I am unsure on cost for this sector as i only have total cost for all sectors

Total EQM 12,140

And my cost for the AA segments will be in Australian dollars. Do i need to convert this to US dollars to get the EQD?

Am i on the right track?
If you’re using the proper fares and maths, I think so. But I do believe the EQD will be calculated in USD.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:36 am

You’ll be required to earn X EQ Miles and Y EQ Dollars (see the Wikipost at the top of the page) and on JL flights the EQD are calculated at 10% of flown miles. The problem with JL S is you’re credited with 50% of Base miles, so you’ll figure (50% of GC distance x 1.0) for EQM, and (50% of GC distance x 10%) to calculate EQD.

No, that’s not right. The 50% is only for award miles. The 50% in base miles doesn’t have anything to do with the EQM and EQD calculations. For JL S, EQM is 1.0 per mile flown, and EQD is 10% of the total miles flown.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:41 am

Total EQM 12,140

Am i on the right track?
No. EQM and EQD aren’t affected by the base miles percent in that chart. Take the 50% out of your equations. You should get double what you’ve listed. The 50% only applies to award miles.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:13 am

When to call to start challenge?

When you call AA to start the status challenge, does it kick in the day you call? Or is there a wait? What if you call on a weekend? I'm trying to perfectly time a status challenge to coincide with a string of flights.

I've got a massive pile of AA flights coming up starting Monday (7/22), and if I guess right I should be able to make the platinum challenge. But I'm not sure, because the first, longest, flight was booked by a corporate travel agent and I didn't get to see the cost/can't access the receipt on AA.com, so I might have to do a run at the end to squeeze out some EQDs.

By my calculations, I need to time the start of the challenge so it definitely kicks in before Monday, but leaves me plenty of time to do a run if there's less earning from the big first flight than I expect.

Can I get away with calling Monday morning to start the challenge for a first flight Monday at 2:45pm?

I'm cutting this really tight... if the first flight (the corporate one) is priced within the range I'm guessing, then I should be able to complete the challenge on October 20, and by my math, that's 90 days after Sunday 7/21... so if I can call on Sunday or Monday and get the challenge started right away, I can squeeze that one last flight in...

(Also, how do EQDs count for a round-trip itinerary that starts within the 90 days but ends outside the 90 days? Am I right in assuming that EQD is earned when the flight is actually flown, so I could only expect about half the EQDs on a flight where I took the outward leg, say, on day 89, and the return on day 91?)

Last edited by paultopia; Jul 16, 2019 at 10:45 am Reason: Needed to clarify question
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:07 pm

Update: I called AA today. They quoted me the standard prices up above for platinum (240/540), and said that if I wanted to do it without immediate status, I could start it on Monday, but if I want to start with status I have to start right away. They also very kindly took the time to look up my pending itineraries and calculate when I should expect to complete the challenge for me---which reassured me that I would get the last flight in without having to call back on Monday. (I gotta say, that was really surprisingly generous customer service, I got a lovely person on the phone.) They also said that it should be about 24 hours before the interim status showed up in my account, so I could go in and take advantage of platinum benefits the next day, for things like seat selection.

Last edited by paultopia; Jul 18, 2019 at 12:24 pm Reason: Add more useful information
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Hi all,

Just wanted to check in to make sure I'm doing this right and there aren't any other option I'm missing.

I just started a new job with frequent travel, and it looks like I'll have 6-8 transcons in the next 45 days (will easily clear 15K+ EQM). I used to be EXP but havn't had AA status in many years. Its a big corporation, but as best as I can tell we dont have any special agreement for status with AA.

I'm tall, so a 6hr flight with 31" pitch is my definition of hell. My priority is to get MCE access as quickly and cheaply as possible (employer wont reimburse MCE or status challenge). When time allows, Im booking my flights with connections in ORD or DFW so I can get up and stretch. So far of my first 4 flights I'll have 2x non-stop transcons and 2x with connections. I'm thinking it makes the most sense to

1. sign up for challenge without immediate gold ($180)
2. Pay for MCE on the 2 non-stop transcons (~$160) (so I can get a window seat / guranteed)
3. Suck it up in econony on the flights with connections
4. I should have Gold in time for my 3rd or 4th trip so I can hopefully at least get a middle MCE seat

Thoughts? Any better options?
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:09 pm

I was able to forward date the Platinum challenge about five days. Also to note, if not mentioned before, is that if you start a challenge but decline the interim status, you cannot add an interim status later. I just found this out yesterday. Has anyone had success in adding interim status after the challenge already started?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:40 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Regarding signing-up for a platinum challenge without interim status: I received an email from AA customer service stating that a platinum challenger does not get gold status upon crossing the gold challenge threshold. But, that person would still get gold status after the last day of the challenge if he or she fell short of meeting the platinum challenge requirements yet met the gold challenge requirements.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.