Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges supersede the 2016 Challenge, now obsolete.

Please read before asking questions. Read the Feb 2018 email sent Challengers in Post #1.

Please help update information or fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

NOTE: As of April 13:

I hope my email finds you and yours safe and well and having celebrated a nice Easter!

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your AAdvantage® elite challenge. I understand your concern.

Please know we are monitoring this situation very closely and constantly evaluating how to best serve our members in this quickly changing environment.

At this time, we are not pausing or extending challenge end dates. If you are not able to meet the requirements contact us after the end date of the qualification period, April 30th when we are in a better position to evaluate any canceled travel due to the virus. At that time, we will review your account and evaluate the situation on a individual basis.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during this evolving situation.

As always, thanks for being an AAdvantage member! We appreciate you.

NOTE: AA is now accepting miles as well as dollars for Challenges, at 10,000 miles per $100.

NOTE: American Airlines generally doesn't offer status matches to elite members of other airlines' frequent flyer schemes; they offer paid Challenges, shortcuts to status. AA have made significant changes to the AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge initiated 2016 (originally begun in 1998) available to anyone, regardless of status on AA or another airline (unless these people have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status - that is not allowed). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted affinity groups; some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

See the obsolete thread regarding the Challenge prior to 2016 here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

="3"%Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?

="3"%AAdvantage Gold status:Earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 8 Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS
AND earn $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Gold / GLD benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

="3"%AAdvantage Platinum status: Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)

See the "What are AA Platinum / PLAT benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019 (same as 2018):

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2019):
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $380 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $480 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Fees we know so far for Jun-Dec 2019):
  • $140 GOLD challenge without interim status
  • $320 GOLD challenge with Gold interim status
  • $240 PLATINUM challenge without interim status
  • $430 PLATINUM challenge with interim Gold status
  • $540 PLATINUM challenge with interim Platinum status

Challenge begun on or before 15 June 2019: after successful challenge your earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2020

Challenge begun on or after 16 Jun: after successful challenge earned status will be valid through Jan 31 2021

NOTE: See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) for further information about earning EQD credit on AA and partner airlines.

="2"%Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated as far five days (If you aren’t requesting and paying for interim status).

="2"%Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

2019 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2019 earn status good through 31 Jan 2020; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2021. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)
2018 Rule: Challenges started prior to 16 June 2018 earn status good through 31 Jan 2019; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2020. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

="2"%Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines
  • AY Finnair
  • BA British Airways
  • IB Iberia
  • JL Japan Airlines
  • QF Qantas as it is part of the JBA should work

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are generally the exceptions to this requirement.

="2"%Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) and AY, BA, IB, JL and QF marketed flights you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1.5 EQM per base mile flown in Premium Economy
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares, 0.5 on Basic Economy
  • Earning should always be checked on the marketing carrier’s page on aa.com

For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

="2"%Q. Is there a passenger age requirement for the challenge?

No.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 toward your challenge fee.

="2"%Q. Will my credit card spend EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Will my baggage, upgrade and other incidental spend be calculated as EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

="2"%Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

="2"%Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

="2"%Q. Must I fly four segments at least marketed by AA?

No; there is no longer a requirement for earning AAdvantage status in 2017. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status.

="2"%Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

="2"%Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

This now depends on a fee paid at the beginning of your Challenge. See Challenge criteria above.

="2"%Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status.
Current policy appears to be that if you sign up for a Platinum Challenge without interim status then you will not be granted gold upon fulfilling the Gold Challenge criteria until after the last day of the Platinum Challenge should you happen to fall short of meeting the Platinum Challenge criteria yet still met the Gold Challenge criteria.

="2"%Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQD and EQS to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

="2"%Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

="2"%Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well. (However, AA may be getting more liberal about permitting challenges, according to some posts.)

See the first post for the known history of the AA Status Challenge.

LINK to archive of older posts from this thread.

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within 18 months after your miles were lost from account inactivity the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Is there any update in 2019 to the point about start date and completion date determining when the status will end? I have 12400 miles of travel beginning next week and ending June 9, with one scheduled trip a couple weeks later. If crossing the 12500 mark after June 15 means PLAT through 1/31/2021, I'm set. If starting the challenge now means PLAT only through 1/31/2020, then I'm stuck. (I'll probably still do it though -- it's better to be PLAT through 1/31 than not at all.)
Old May 3, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dml105
Is there any update in 2019 to the point about start date and completion date determining when the status will end? I have 12400 miles of travel beginning next week and ending June 9, with one scheduled trip a couple weeks later. If crossing the 12500 mark after June 15 means PLAT through 1/31/2021, I'm set. If starting the challenge now means PLAT only through 1/31/2020, then I'm stuck. (I'll probably still do it though -- it's better to be PLAT through 1/31 than not at all.)
For 2018, and previous years too, the challenge time frame was based off when you started the challenge and not when you completed it. So for you wanting to complete status to retain through 2021 it will have to be flying that starts on or after the challenge start date. (June 15)
Old May 3, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Aedion
For 2018, and previous years too, the challenge time frame was based off when you started the challenge and not when you completed it. So for you wanting to complete status to retain through 2021 it will have to be flying that starts on or after the challenge start date. (June 15)
Challenges started before midnight on June 15 give status until the following January 31. Challenges started on or after June 16 give status for an extra year and the fee is higher. I believe that the clock starts when you request them to start it and not when you take the first flight.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dml105
That’s not at all how it works. The Wikipost was updated yesterday, and any changes are reflected there. As has been posted:

You can call to start your challenge on a specific date, though the time period to do so seems to have shrunk.

If you begin your challenge 15 June or previously, your status will be valid for the current status year, which (unless AA announces another change) ends 31 January 2020.

If you begin your challenge 16 June or a later date this year, your status earned will be valid for both the current and next status year, ending 31 January 2021.

Full stop.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks, that was the fear.

I pulled the trigger anyway. $180 for the challenge without the status, $480 with the status.
Surprisingly, the welcome email did not say when the status would end, but I do presume it will be 2020.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I was offered a Executive Platinum challenge from UA 1K. Would this be the right thread, or is there another consolidated thread?
Old May 8, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
I was offered a Executive Platinum challenge from UA 1K. Would this be the right thread, or is there another consolidated thread?
The targetted challenges, often with a match, are a somewhat different deal: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ight=challenge
JDiver, JonNYC and JMBResona like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The targetted challenges, often with a match, are a somewhat different deal: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ight=challenge
Thanks.

I had to proactively email them asking for a challenge, so for some reason I didn’t think it was the right thread.

Looking at the requirements, it seems that the other thread is indeed more appropriate. Thanks!
MADPhil likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
AA Status Challenge Math Check

Planning to do an AA PLAT Status challenge (12,500 EQMs & 2,000 EQDs) later this year (after June 15) and am looking for a math check to make sure I get what I need.

What I have booked so far:
SAT-DFW-HNL-DFW-HNL (Premium Economy outbound, First on the Return)

EQMs
SAT-DFW (H): 500 x 1 = 500 EQMs
DFW-HNL (P): 3,780 miles x 1.5 = 5,670 EQMs
HNL-DFW (R): 3,780 miles x 2 = 7,560 EQMs
DFW-SAT (R): 500 x 2 = 1,000 EQMs
Total EQMs: 14,730 (More than satisfying the 12,500 EQM requirement)

EQDs
Ticket Total: $1,755
Fare: $1,646
Taxes: $109
Total EQDs: 1,646 (Leaving 354 EQDs to go and I will then need a flight where the base fare is at least $354 BEFORE taxes to fully satisfy the 2,000 EQD requirement)

My bigger question is the EQD requirement and making sure I get that right. I've always been getting the AmEx CC Waiver with DL since that was implemented so have never had to worry about MQDs or how they're calculated though I do want to make sure I get it right with AA for when I do the challenge.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; May 15, 2019 at 1:11 pm Reason: Fix Typo in Itinerary
Old May 15, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Planning to do an AA PLAT Status challenge (12,500 EQMs & 2,000 EQDs) later this year (after June 15) and am looking for a math check to make sure I get what I need.

What I have booked so far:
SAT-DFW-HNL-DFW-HNL (Premium Economy outbound, First on the Return)

EQMs
SAT-DFW (H): 500 x 1 = 500 EQMs
DFW-HNL (P): 3,780 miles x 1.5 = 5,670 EQMs
HNL-DFW (R): 3,780 miles x 2 = 7,560 EQMs
DFW-HNL (R): 500 x 2 = 1,000 EQMs
Total EQMs: 14,730 (More than satisfying the 12,500 EQM requirement)

EQDs
Ticket Total: $1,755
Fare: $1,646
Taxes: $109
Total EQDs: 1,646 (Leaving 354 EQDs to go and I will then need a flight where the base fare is at least $354 BEFORE taxes to fully satisfy the 2,000 EQD requirement)

My bigger question is the EQD requirement and making sure I get that right. I've always been getting the AmEx CC Waiver with DL since that was implemented so have never had to worry about MQDs or how they're calculated though I do want to make sure I get it right with AA for when I do the challenge.
The EQD look okay, but:

Are you sure it’s SAT-DFW-HNL-DFW-HNL?

Do you have AAdvantage status already? If not, you’ll not earn 500 EQM on a SAT-DFW segment. AAdvantage 500 Mile (EQM) Minimum Mile Guarantee (master thd).

How much would it cost you to upfare to domestic First round trip? That could get it done in one round trip, and if the cost is reasonable, AA doesn’t charge change fees to upfare.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
The EQD look okay, but:

Are you sure it’s SAT-DFW-HNL-DFW-HNL?
Fixed that. Thanks. Should have Been SAT-DFW-HNL-DFW-SAT

Do you have AAdvantage status already? If not, you’ll not earn 500 EQM on a SAT-DFW segment. AAdvantage 500 Mile (EQM) Minimum Mile Guarantee (master thd).
I do not have AA status currently. I thought AA brought back the 500 mile minimum for everyone though. I received the 500 EQM minimum for two segments earlier this year.

How much would it cost you to upfare to domestic First round trip? That could get it done in one round trip, and if the cost is reasonable, AA doesn’t charge change fees to upfare.
I already paid to upfare the return (which I did regardless of the fact that I was considering the challenge as I wanted the lie-flat for the redeye) but this would also mean paying to upfare Mrs. ATOBTTR on the outbound too. Also on the outbound, I'm traveling with others who are on the same flight and in the PE cabin with us and upfaring the DFW-HNL leg would mean leaving them behind in the PE cabin.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Fixed that. Thanks. Should have Been SAT-DFW-HNL-DFW-SAT

I do not have AA status currently. I thought AA brought back the 500 mile minimum for everyone though. I received the 500 EQM minimum for two segments earlier this year.

I already paid to upfare the return (which I did regardless of the fact that I was considering the challenge as I wanted the lie-flat for the redeye) but this would also mean paying to upfare Mrs. ATOBTTR on the outbound too. Also on the outbound, I'm traveling with others who are on the same flight and in the PE cabin with us and upfaring the DFW-HNL leg would mean leaving them behind in the PE cabin.
I think you’re correct and I’m not. I found this on aa.com:

AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares).^ To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base.

Last edited by JDiver; May 15, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, United
So, If I have it right... It's when you start the challenge not when you complete it? regardless of whether you pay for elite to start right away or not? That seems unfair to the person who doesn't pony up for elite status with the challenge. Do EQD's get a multiplier if you are an elite, like the EQM's do? I got a flight on AA marketed phx-sfo-hkg-lax-phx, and travelling 5/22-5/28. Will travel later in the year, but unsure of any big trips. Tee question is do I do the challenge now, and complete it after the 15th of June, or is that insignificant.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gilligan44
So, If I have it right... It's when you start the challenge not when you complete it? regardless of whether you pay for elite to start right away or not? That seems unfair to the person who doesn't pony up for elite status with the challenge. Do EQD's get a multiplier if you are an elite, like the EQM's do? I got a flight on AA marketed phx-sfo-hkg-lax-phx, and travelling 5/22-5/28. Will travel later in the year, but unsure of any big trips. Tee question is do I do the challenge now, and complete it after the 15th of June, or is that insignificant.
When you start the challenge is what matters: started before June 16 it costs less and status last to the end of the following January, started after June 15 it costs more and status lasts another year.
EQMs are boosted by fare code but not by status. EQDs are hard cash, no multipliers. RDMs are boosted by fare code and status.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you’re correct and I’m not. I found this on aa.com:
Thanks - that's what I thought. And thanks for the math check; was pretty sure I was getting it right but wanted to double check with those who deal with this on a regular basis. I'm tempted to just book myself an MD-80 day trip to get the remaining EQDs and also get a few rides on the Mad Dogs before they're retired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.