Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, IHG Diamond / Kimpton IC
So, I'm trying to make sense of how partner EQDs per mile work.

Do I need to book through the partner airline I.e. Buy the ticket from Qatar airways to get 20% EQDs per mile, or does buying through aa.com count?

Also in both cases, how does the AA portion of a multi-leg flight get calculated?

If I book a flight through QA that has AA legs but is coded as QA all the way down, do the AA legs give spend or mile based EQDs?

If I book a flight through AA that has QA legs in it, do those give spend or mile based EQDs?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dj903jd
guys, I just wanted to confirm that if I redeem AA miles for an itinerary involving BA flights, that the carrier-imposed fee (~$500 in this case) will be refunded appropriately if I change the routing to eliminate the BA flights. That is, that in general when one changes the routing on an award itinerary, if the total fees are less on the new itinerary than the old one, the difference is refunded. Thanks
Yes, that is correct. If you book an itinerary involving BA flights and then subsequently change to one that doesn't, the difference in taxes and fees will be refunded. The way that I've seen this work in practice is that the old taxes/fees will be refunded entirely, and the new taxes/fees charged to your credit card.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by rgkessinger

Do I need to book through the partner airline I.e. Buy the ticket from Qatar airways to get 20% EQDs per mile, or does buying through aa.com count?

Also in both cases, how does the AA portion of a multi-leg flight get calculated?

If I book a flight through QA that has AA legs but is coded as QA all the way down, do the AA legs give spend or mile based EQDs?

If I book a flight through AA that has QA legs in it, do those give spend or mile based EQDs?
All depends on the flight number. AA flight numbers earn based on fare, partner flight numbers earn based on distance.
I think mixed itineraries are prorated based on distance.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EP, IHG Diamond / Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
All depends on the flight number. AA flight numbers earn based on fare, partner flight numbers earn based on distance.
I think mixed itineraries are prorated based on distance.
So an AA.com booking with a QA flight number is based off distance?

That seems kind of silly of them, since if it's booked through AA.com they obviously see the fare paid.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:18 pm

The easiest way to determine what you'll earn is to see which airline each segment is coded. All AA-coded segments book on the AA chart, which generally means earning more EQMs and fewer EQDs (fare-based), while partner-coded segments generally earn more EQDs (distance-based). Use a site like GCMap.com to determine the distance of each segment, then use the airline earnings charts on AA.com to determine the EQM/EQD percentages for that segment. Add them up, and that will give you an approximation of what AAdvantage credit you'll earn.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I'll be flying in first from SFO nonstop to MIA and am wondering what to expect with regard to the front cabin service. Equipment is a B737-800 and it's a morning departure with breakfast served. From what I see, it does not appear there will be anything special - just a long flight in domestic F. Anyone have any experience with this type of transcon?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jlemon
I'll be flying in first from SFO nonstop to MIA and am wondering what to expect with regard to the front cabin service. Equipment is a B737-800 and it's a morning departure with breakfast served. From what I see, it does not appear there will be anything special - just a long flight in domestic F. Anyone have any experience with this type of transcon?
There are three or four configurations of 737s, though in the end they’ll all end up the same by the time refurbishment is done (with less legroom up front than currently, but above BA and other European carriers with 30” pitch and 3x3 seating. Search thread titles for “737” (include the quotation marks)and you’ll come up with threads on each configuration.

Keep expectations low and it’ll be ok. Seats two by two, may have seatback entertainment or may not - may offer WiFi IFE served to your device. Will offer WiFi. Will possibly offer slabby feeling slider slimline seats that feel very old after three hours. You might have predeparture beverage service of water, orange juice or sparkling wine, or not. In my experience, as recently as last month, just a long domestic flight, nothing special in the air.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Which airline is QA? The only oneworld airlines I’m aware of with Q names are Qantas (QF) and Qatar (QR).

Where you buy the tickets generally doesn’t matter. The marketing airline (the airline denoting the flight, such as AA 125) matters, and if the marketing carrier is not the operating carrier the operating carrier must generally be a oneworld or affiliate carrier.

I recommend two threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

and

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rs-2017-a.html.

In particular, read the Wikipost information summaries at the tip of the pages.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: CK or bust
Talking

Originally Posted by JDiver
Which airline is QA? The only oneworld airlines I’m aware of with Q names are Qantas (QF) and Qatar (QR).

Where you buy the tickets generally doesn’t matter. The marketing airline (the airline denoting the flight, such as AA 125) matters, and if the marketing carrier is not the operating carrier the operating carrier must generally be a oneworld or affiliate carrier.

I recommend two threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

and

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rs-2017-a.html

In particular, read the Wikipost information summaries at the tip of the pages.
Couldn't find QA on the Q codes at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_codes_(Q) but it was worth a shot to if it is previously unknown airline operating on the remote island where Kong resides. Pretty sure that if if the hypothetical QA carrier exists, they'll go revenue based next year anyway and given American's track record with partners lately, you won't be able to redeem on them for long!

Last edited by enpremiere; Dec 21, 2017 at 11:35 am Reason: (Really did want to see if there was an IATA code for QA just in case it wasn't a major one)
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by JDiver
OP clearly mentioned Qatar in the post, so obviously that's what was meant, despite the mistaken airline code.

This is the newbie thread, be nice, right?

Welcome to FT rgkessinger!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:53 pm

Re-checking bags in MUC transferring from AA to A3?

I'm flying on AA PHL-MUC and then connecting on A3 MUC-HER. It's all on one ticket issued on AA stock (PHL-MUC-HER).

Since A3 is not OneWorld, I'm not sure if there's an interline agreement between them. Will bags checked in PHL go all the way to HER automatically, or do they need to be reclaimed in MUC and re-checked on A3 to HER? I don't think I've ever had to deal with this scenario. I almost never check bags, and I don't think I've ever had an international connection switching airlines. I'd be fine with carry-on but I'll be traveling with my mom and I'm sure she'll want to check her suitcase.

Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I emailed AA five days ago about a status match/challenge. No response.

Should I re-send, or is this sort of lag typical?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: LH FTL
I'd like a friend from the US to get a AA credit card (mainly for the sign up bonus), however he's worried that applying for a credit card can hurt his credit score..is it true ? i think there's no harm in applying for a credit card, even if they reject you..(but im from Europe so I really have no idea how the credit card system works in the US..)
p.s. Happy holidays !!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:20 am

First time in First Class

This is my first post. Please be courteous.

I will be flying first/business class for the first time ever. Here is my flight info.

July 12, 2018: AUS to DFW AA 2239 First / DFW to KOA 229 First
July 18, 2018: KOA to HNL HA 287 Coach
July 23-24, 2018: HNL to DFW AA 8 Business / DFW to AUS 1991 First
FYI I have the Aviator card not the Citi card

Here are my questions.
1. I understand there is a separate Check In line for luggage/boarding pass. Is there any difference for security? Any tips for Check In?
2. At the airport, it looks like First Class does not get me access to the Admirals Club. I am new to AA so I do not have Elite status. Am I correct in this or only for DFW? How about AUS or HNL?
3. For the 777, I am guessing that boarding is about 45 minutes before departure. Is that correct?
4. On the plane, specifically the 777s, based on research on this site, it looks like it is version 4 with the Zodiac seats alternating front facing and rear facing. Is this correct?
5. Do I need to place carry-ons in the overhead or will there be room near my seat?
6. I am travelling with relatives who are flying in coach. From what I have read here, it looks like we will not be able to meet up during the flight. Any thoughts?
7. Do I need to set an alarm on the overnight or will the FA wake me up for any meals?
8. My wife and I listen to an audio book, so we booked the 2 middle seats. Will there be a partition and if so, can it be removed?
9. Any other tips for a first time First Class flyer would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by fanb
I'd like a friend from the US to get a AA credit card (mainly for the sign up bonus), however he's worried that applying for a credit card can hurt his credit score..is it true ? i think there's no harm in applying for a credit card, even if they reject you..(but im from Europe so I really have no idea how the credit card system works in the US..)
p.s. Happy holidays !!
An application can bring a "hard pull" of his credit report, which would generally take a few points off his score, but it isn't major. A lot would depend on his general credit history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.