Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Seat upgrade charges

Me again!

I thought I would check to see what the exact charges would be to book Main Cabin/Preferred seating if award availability was not available assuming daughter's miles don't post in time this Monday, but there are no charges showing... When I do a dummy reservation for myself, I get all the way to checkout and no additional charge for the higher level seats.

I can't imagine that having a Citibank AA Gold or Platinum card provides this benefit?

Also, if costs do show next time I try to do this, is it indeed possible to 'book the no-cost award seats -- crummy ones and separate from each other -- and wait until 24hr check-in to change seat for free' although that would be a risk of course?

Thanks again for your information sharing, so very much appreciated
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:31 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Can I check bags at any terminal or just from the terminal I'm departing from?

Thanks
You can check bags from any terminal at DFW. (As you probably know, gate changes are not uncommon, so there's no guarantee anyway that the gate listed a few hours before departure doesn't change to another terminal.)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SharonLPK
Me again!

I thought I would check to see what the exact charges would be to book Main Cabin/Preferred seating if award availability was not available assuming daughter's miles don't post in time this Monday, but there are no charges showing... When I do a dummy reservation for myself, I get all the way to checkout and no additional charge for the higher level seats.

I can't imagine that having a Citibank AA Gold or Platinum card provides this benefit?

Also, if costs do show next time I try to do this, is it indeed possible to 'book the no-cost award seats -- crummy ones and separate from each other -- and wait until 24hr check-in to change seat for free' although that would be a risk of course?

Thanks again for your information sharing, so very much appreciated
Do you have Gold status with AA? That would get you free checkin of one bag, and free MCE selection 24 hours out. An AA card gets you the former but not the latter.

And, yes, you can pick a seat now and change to an MCE seat later; cost (if any) would be the same as if you had not first picked some other seat. It's worth checking for them starting a few days out; elites tend to pick MCE seats, which become available as they get upgraded in the last few days.

One caveat: You mentioned "award travel" earlier. You cannot pay for an MCE seat on an award flight; picking the seat has to be free or it won't work.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
I'm keeping an eye on awards as they're released. Of course no saver awards anymore so I'm watching anytime awards for RAP-GRR in First.

We'd hope to travel on a Sunday but, for the last one to be released, 11th March 2018, they're demanding 75K miles!!! Is there a chance the miles demanded for a particular date would reduce in time or will it stay at that outrageous level, 3 times the saver cost I'd been hoping and planning to get?

In other words, when the date I want is released and it's more than the 50K I'd expect, is it worth waiting to see if that reduces in the following few weeks or will it remain at, say, 75k? Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Hi everyone, I've got a newbie question about the baggage allowance on a domestic flight and I'm not sure I've worked out my baggage charges correctly.

Economy fare BOS-LGA
2 Pax - 1 x OWE (BAEC)(also active duty UK military if it makes a difference) 1 x no status
Flight booked as a redemption through BA so not able to add a bag at the time of booking.

Am I correct that I will get a checked bag for free because I'm OWE but my sister will have to pay $25 to check hers? Is it the same price at the airport as online?

Many thanks,

Tiff
You get three checked bags for free on AA as a oneworld Emerald. So even if you booked your sister's ticket as a separate award from yours, you could check her bag in for free as part of your allowance.

Just be sure to have your BAEC Gold card with you when you check in for your AA flight. It might also be wise to carry a printout of AA's baggage policy for oneworld elites. (You can easily find it with a Google search.)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also to upgrade one's self on awards when that becomes active. I'm not sure how much a benefit that is though since EXP don't earn any once they hit EXP.
Where did you see that EXPs will need them for award tickets? Pretty sure they'll be complimentary
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Do you have Gold status with AA? That would get you free checkin of one bag, and free MCE selection 24 hours out. An AA card gets you the former but not the latter.

And, yes, you can pick a seat now and change to an MCE seat later; cost (if any) would be the same as if you had not first picked some other seat. It's worth checking for them starting a few days out; elites tend to pick MCE seats, which become available as they get upgraded in the last few days.

One caveat: You mentioned "award travel" earlier. You cannot pay for an MCE seat on an award flight; picking the seat has to be free or it won't work.
No status from flying, my Citibank card is 'gold' and my daughter is waiting for her new Citibank Plat MC card miles to post. I didn't realize that MCE seats were not available at a price for award flights, still wondering how I was able to select for 0 dollars, assuming those seats would have stuck all the way through payment!

I have been away from travelling and esp. points/miles for too long -- and so many things I feel better double checking while learning, thank you!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If the award is an Anytime Award, then selection of MCE is included. It's just with Saaver awards where you don't have access to MCE seats unless you have it for free (through status, etc).

Last edited by wrp96; Apr 15, 2017 at 7:46 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Hi everyone, I've got a newbie question about the baggage allowance on a domestic flight and I'm not sure I've worked out my baggage charges correctly.

Economy fare BOS-LGA
2 Pax - 1 x OWE (BAEC)(also active duty UK military if it makes a difference) 1 x no status
Flight booked as a redemption through BA so not able to add a bag at the time of booking.

Am I correct that I will get a checked bag for free because I'm OWE but my sister will have to pay $25 to check hers? Is it the same price at the airport as online?

Many thanks,

Tiff
As a OWE you get three free bags on AA.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
If the award is an Anytime Award, then selection of MCE is included. It's just with Saaver awards where you don't have access to MCE seats for free (through status, etc).
That's great, good to know!! Thank you
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Passenger deboarding at PVG

Had a rather eventful pre-flight on AA182 Friday PVG-LAX. We board on time and close the door about 2 minutes late.

about 10 minutes later, we go through the safety video and then it stops and I hear "flight attendants disarm doors"...and sure enough, they do, and a women grabs her stuff and gets off.

I'm not complaining at all, I just thought that would be next to impossible. Not only were doors shut, what is a passenger even considered at that point (from an immigration status)?

Theres a a bit of delay as we have to wait to get a jet bridge back. Then the pilot comes on and says that ATC is penalIzing us and we will have another half hour delay. Airport seemed pretty quiet at 8pm, so not sure what the pilot meant (it was hard to hear). I don't think it was traffic related, but I can only see so much out of a window.

Any idea what what actually happened? We ended up pushing back for real over 2 hours late.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
ATC isn't just the local airspace. Once you missed the takeoff slot, ATC had to rejuggle placing your flight into the enroute airspace. I'm China that means dealing with the military as all airspace in China is military controlled.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
ATC isn't just the local airspace. Once you missed the takeoff slot, ATC had to rejuggle placing your flight into the enroute airspace. I'm China that means dealing with the military as all airspace in China is military controlled.
Understood. I must just have been over analyzing the pilots use of the word "penalizing" - like we were in trouble, when most likely it was just us having to wait to get our space lined up.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:57 am

newbie, stuck by bathrooms, hnl-phx new 757-200 seats

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Since you are booked on CX-marketed flights, you earn RDMs at 100% of miles flown plus a 60% bonus for being PLT. No class of service bonus for E fares.

For AA-marketed flights, you would earn 8x your base fare + carrier charges.
I am sorry if I am putting this in the wrong place, I hope someone sees it. I have spent hours trying to figure out why my plane layout is different and found out here that it is a new layout for the 757. I can't find info on best seats in coach anywhere.

AA is showing the new 757-200 and our travel agent put us in tow 29, right against the restrooms on a red eye from Honolulu to Phoenix on our way home in May.

We can pay $80 more for 6 more inches of leg room if we move up to rows. 13 B and C, which is the exit, 14, 15 or 16 with various A,B, C, D, E, F seats.

If we just want to move up without the extra 6 inches of leg room we can pay $37-$40 for row 10D and E, row 13 exit D and E or rows 17-20 all seats.

Considering this is a red eye and we are going from Hawaii back to Wisconsin we will pay for the upgraded seats but are not sure which to pick. We don't want to end up in a non reclining seat etc.

Thank you!

Brooke
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth
I am sorry if I am putting this in the wrong place, I hope someone sees it. I have spent hours trying to figure out why my plane layout is different and found out here that it is a new layout for the 757. I can't find info on best seats in coach anywhere.

AA is showing the new 757-200 and our travel agent put us in tow 29, right against the restrooms on a red eye from Honolulu to Phoenix on our way home in May.

We can pay $80 more for 6 more inches of leg room if we move up to rows. 13 B and C, which is the exit, 14, 15 or 16 with various A,B, C, D, E, F seats.

If we just want to move up without the extra 6 inches of leg room we can pay $37-$40 for row 10D and E, row 13 exit D and E or rows 17-20 all seats.

Considering this is a red eye and we are going from Hawaii back to Wisconsin we will pay for the upgraded seats but are not sure which to pick. We don't want to end up in a non reclining seat etc.

Thank you!

Brooke
I see you've already found the specific thread that discusses the Hawaii version of the 757. So no need for folks to follow up here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.