Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flightmedic
I don't have status. If I book an anytime award JFK-OGG and sometime down the road a milesaver award opens can I change to the anytime award?? I would do this to try and save some miles. Is there a cost for this if my departing and arriving airport do not change?

Thanks
Call Advantage reservations desk and ask/talk to those folks. i think you can do this w/o change fees and redeposit if date and departure/destination stays the same... but you will likely have to use the desk folks. i have done this internationally but can't remember if status was why i could. no matter what, i would say talking to those folks has always saved my butt in these types of situations. they like to talk to folks (at least to me - and i don't fly all that often) and usually have been great about trying to get me the most miles retained/saved and best bargains.
good luck.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by happytravelskh
Call Advantage reservations desk and ask/talk to those folks. i think you can do this w/o change fees and redeposit if date and departure/destination stays the same... but you will likely have to use the desk folks..
While there's always the "ya never know" factor, the correct answer was here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27999182-post483.html
(that redeposit fee applies for change in award type)
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flightmedic
I don't have status. If I book an anytime award JFK-OGG and sometime down the road a milesaver award opens can I change to the anytime award?? I would do this to try and save some miles. Is there a cost for this if my departing and arriving airport do not change?

Thanks
You will have to cancel, abandon the miles or pay $150 to redeposit the miles to go from AAnytime to a MileSAAver award. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-changes.html
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
3 separate one-way tickets: revenue, award and voucher

Need to book 3 separate one-way tickets: revenue, award and voucher.

Revenue ticket (for wife).

Award ticket for kid (5 yrs).

Paper voucher + small portion on credit card ticket for kid (8 yrs).

How to do this? Asking since system won't allow me to book separate ticket for a minor. Also how long can I put a flight on hold since I don't want to send the voucher in, as travel date is in 1 week.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I booked a flight for two in December. In January I moved to main cabin extra on one leg of the flight ~$30 each. I decided the other part was more than I wanted to pay. Recently I decided to buy MCE the other leg at ~$50 each to burn up travel credit on a credit card I'm considering canceling. The fare base now shows the original purchase, and both seat upgrade charges. However AA has refunded the lower priced seat upgrades without moving me from the MCE seats.

Is purchasing MCE at different times a known bug? Is it my lucky day? Is it my unlucky day because I'll eventually lose the MCE on the outbound?

I have no status on AA, or a partner and usually only fly them to the east coast on BA award tickets once, or so per year.

(If you consider the $395 on the Ritz card a sunk cost this flight is getting quite cheap. $100 off originally and $60 or so refunded by Ritz and by AA for the outbound MCE.)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
I booked a discount (O class) one way economy ticket to DCA-DAY and was shocked to see to see no fee for the first checked bag. Just received my email confirmation and it says this at the bottom:

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -DCADAY-No free checked bags/ American Airlines 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-DCADAY-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM
Is this new? I have no status. Maybe because it's out of the bus gates?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
I booked a discount (O class) one way economy ticket to DCA-DAY and was shocked to see to see no fee for the first checked bag. Just received my email confirmation and it says this at the bottom:

Is this new? I have no status. Maybe because it's out of the bus gates?
do youhave a credit card that provides free baggage?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
do youhave a credit card that provides free baggage?
No - unless it's something recently added to Marriott Rewards Visa (the card I used to book).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
No - unless it's something recently added to Marriott Rewards Visa (the card I used to book).
Doesn't need to be one that was used to book. Just needs to be a card that offers free baggage with AA.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Think this is the best place for this question.

It's been a long time since I've flown AA, I'm usually a UA guy. But decided to use an AA gift card I have to book a OW CVG-ORD-YYZ itinerary in a couple of weeks. I booked this a week ago.

Was able to select a seat without charge on ORD-YYZ, no issues. On CVG-ORD, the only available seats to me are preferred seats - this is a CR7. It's $9, so not a huge deal to buy them if it makes more sense, but given the short flight, the fact I'm traveling on my own instead of with wife/kid, and a fairly long layover, so no need to rush off this plane, I figured I could just take my chances (though I don't want to be DB'd). I looked the flight up on EF, and it shows only 20 seats selected - the rest are either blocked (8 seats) or for elites (can't select at all)/preferred ($).

Is there any reason to think its advantageous to paying for the seats in advance, vs. just checking in online the day before and picking something then? Seems with the map, its likely not overbooked, and can likely snag a decent seat if I check in early enough, but would appreciate input from those who know more about AA.

Also, is it problematic to check into an itinerary to Canada online/through app? I know UA didn't really let you check in until about a year ago if a passport wasn't in the system, though now you can scan in your passport on the app.

Appreciate any clarification on these issues.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Think this is the best place for this question.

It's been a long time since I've flown AA, I'm usually a UA guy. But decided to use an AA gift card I have to book a OW CVG-ORD-YYZ itinerary in a couple of weeks. I booked this a week ago.

Was able to select a seat without charge on ORD-YYZ, no issues. On CVG-ORD, the only available seats to me are preferred seats - this is a CR7. It's $9, so not a huge deal to buy them if it makes more sense, but given the short flight, the fact I'm traveling on my own instead of with wife/kid, and a fairly long layover, so no need to rush off this plane, I figured I could just take my chances (though I don't want to be DB'd). I looked the flight up on EF, and it shows only 20 seats selected - the rest are either blocked (8 seats) or for elites (can't select at all)/preferred ($).

Is there any reason to think its advantageous to paying for the seats in advance, vs. just checking in online the day before and picking something then? Seems with the map, its likely not overbooked, and can likely snag a decent seat if I check in early enough, but would appreciate input from those who know more about AA.

Also, is it problematic to check into an itinerary to Canada online/through app? I know UA didn't really let you check in until about a year ago if a passport wasn't in the system, though now you can scan in your passport on the app.

Appreciate any clarification on these issues.
I wouldn't pay at this point. Way too many seats to still be sold to worry about overlooking.

As for OLCI no issues. It'll have you enter all the info, but they'll still need to swipe your passport at the gate/ticket counter if you have bags.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Few questions if you don't mind -- I've tried searching but the information I've found isn't necessarily very recent and so I am leery to trust what I've seen!

Daughter has applied and been approved for the 50,000 Citi card, she has done required $3K spend and also $2K more, so she will have a total of 55,000 when all is said and done for honeymoon ticket booking (2 one-ways, with Chase UR for return) She has also already paid, so her first statement should show she has spent and paid $5,000. Not sure what the current turnaround time is for those miles posting to her AA account, could you please advise?

I read somewhere, again don't know how current (or true) it is, that award travel can be held up to 5 days before miles post, true? Can that be renewed every 5 days until miles post?

Finally, if she books return travel using Chase UR points/portal on an American flight, will both she and husband get the free checked bag? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SharonLPK
Few questions if you don't mind -- I've tried searching but the information I've found isn't necessarily very recent and so I am leery to trust what I've seen!

Daughter has applied and been approved for the 50,000 Citi card, she has done required $3K spend and also $2K more, so she will have a total of 55,000 when all is said and done for honeymoon ticket booking (2 one-ways, with Chase UR for return) She has also already paid, so her first statement should show she has spent and paid $5,000. Not sure what the current turnaround time is for those miles posting to her AA account, could you please advise?

I read somewhere, again don't know how current (or true) it is, that award travel can be held up to 5 days before miles post, true? Can that be renewed every 5 days until miles post?

Finally, if she books return travel using Chase UR points/portal on an American flight, will both she and husband get the free checked bag? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
The miles will usually post within a day of when the statement closes each month. You can hold the award for 5 days whether you have sufficient miles or not. The hold can be renewed if award availability is still there. As to the free bag on the return trip, that depends on the T&C of the specific card they have, but most AA cards do not require you to purchase the ticket with the card to get the free bag benefit.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
The miles will usually post within a day of when the statement closes each month. You can hold the award for 5 days whether you have sufficient miles or not. The hold can be renewed if award availability is still there. As to the free bag on the return trip, that depends on the T&C of the specific card they have, but most AA cards do not require you to purchase the ticket with the card to get the free bag benefit.

Thank you so very much for this information, very helpful!! Keeping fingers crossed that her miles post at closing of first statement
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Free agent
Hey everyone, quick question about an upcoming trip.

I have no status with AA but we're flying LGA->CLT->PNS->CLT->LGA with them over the weekend. We are on AA1954 for our last hop right now but an earlier flight AA1740 seems doable with our connection (5:30 arrival on AA4139). I know it's tight and we may not make it anyway but if we do, what's AA's policy on same-day/standby swaps? Do we pay fare difference? I know having no status with AA will hurt us but I'm just wondering if we walk up, will they let us jump over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.