Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA
Dear Members,
I fly about 4-6 times a year and once international. This particular year I made more trips but still fell short of making it to gold for the first time. Now AA sent me an email saying that paying $775 to make it to the gold. I will be traveling twice international next year in addition to 6-8 domestic, 2-3 will be from coast to coast. My question is it worth paying $775 for the gold status? Thanks in advance
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by drkarthik19
Dear Members,
I fly about 4-6 times a year and once international. This particular year I made more trips but still fell short of making it to gold for the first time. Now AA sent me an email saying that paying $775 to make it to the gold. I will be traveling twice international next year in addition to 6-8 domestic, 2-3 will be from coast to coast. My question is it worth paying $775 for the gold status? Thanks in advance
I would not do it. Just make sure you have the right credit card to get complimentary checked baggage, etc... You’re better of just spending the $775 towards whatever tickets you need. Gold status doesn’t guarantee you much of anything.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Dear Members,
As someone that falls just a bit short of gold year after year, my calculus has and is still no as long as you at least have free checked bag benefits through a CC. Getting gold just gets you a spot last in line for first class upgrades - the shot that you win that on the international route or coast to coast flights isn't good enough to spend $775. I don't always pay attention to the upgrade list (because I am never on it, of course), but when I do, I very very rarely see the last few names clear an upgrade, and that is where a gold with ~3 EQD would be. Gold is -nice- just to be able to get on the list, but I am not one to spend real money gambling on winning that game when AA's EQD priority list ensures no matter what you are last. The bonus points are worth something though, but again, not $775.

I just checked my flights for next year, and it looks like if I purchase my last planned trip (and yes, I can easily plan both work and vacation 12 months in advance), I will be 100$ short of 3K EQD (with enough EQM even considering that a few flights are B and get half EQM/EQS credit), and I am not sure that even care at this point to figure a mileage run. Gold really doesn't do much - I will have to see how 2019 looks I guess and make sure the point bonus makes it worth it.

Last edited by MarkOK; Dec 13, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
So one additional newbie question since I'm going to be around the US a lot now.

Is there any chance of an upgrade as a non AA OneWorld elite? Currently sapphire with IB and likely to end up as emerald by the end of the year and it would be nice to sit in front on US domestics from time to time.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
So one additional newbie question since I'm going to be around the US a lot now.

Is there any chance of an upgrade as a non AA OneWorld elite? Currently sapphire with IB and likely to end up as emerald by the end of the year and it would be nice to sit in front on US domestics from time to time.
an upgrade on AA is highly unlikely without AA status. Even with AA status, it's not easy to clear. I've been Executive Platinum for years and sometimes see several folks ahead of me. If you get upgraded, it's not due to an allowance, it's just luck.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:51 pm

Thank you for the reply, I will skip the gold status offer
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Dear Members,
You may want to browse this thread:
What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:29 pm

Thank you once again to Aztimm, MarkOK, and mike from tokyo
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Just booked a trip from Montego Bay Jamaica to Chicago with a stop in Miami for my wife and myself. I paid with miles, and have no status with American. Both of us do have the Citibank AA credit card...will we need to pay for our bags?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Just booked a trip from Montego Bay Jamaica to Chicago with a stop in Miami for my wife and myself. I paid with miles, and have no status with American. Both of us do have the Citibank AA credit card...will we need to pay for our bags?
Is it AA metal? If so, then yes, your card benefits apply.

(Earlier today, I had to fix a miles-bought flight scheduled next summer that had one leg messed up due to a schedule change with Alaska Airlines . The agent got me rebooked on all AA metal on a much better flight itinerary and told me to remember that card benefits such as free baggage only applies on AA flights and Alaska would have charged me baggage fees on my original itinerary. I wasn't aware of that!).
bsdstone likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Is it AA metal? If so, then yes, your card benefits apply.

(Earlier today, I had to fix a miles-bought flight scheduled next summer that had one leg messed up due to a schedule change with Alaska Airlines . The agent got me rebooked on all AA metal on a much better flight itinerary and told me to remember that card benefits such as free baggage only applies on AA flights and Alaska would have charged me baggage fees on my original itinerary. I wasn't aware of that!).
Well, the card benefits apply, but do those benefits include a free checked bag to/from the Caribbean? I don't think so.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Well, the card benefits apply, but do those benefits include a free checked bag to/from the Caribbean? I don't think so.
Ahh, okay. Duh, Mo-bay is Jamaica, thus not 'domestic'. So my understanding is that this is a 'sweet spot' where the Citi Aadvantage cardmembers get screwed over then?

Free bag if 'domestic' (including Canada) as a card benefit
Everyone gets a free bag if transatlantic, transpacific, and often south america.

But Mexico and the non-US Caribbean is where AA sticks it to you on what honest to god seems to be an odd technicality with no rhyme or reason.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:59 pm

Booking an ex-BUD TATL economy roundtrip with layovers in LHR each direction and have the option to book with either AA (and have the intra-Europe BA segments as AA codeshares) or BA (and have the overwater AA segments as BA codeshares). I'm an AA member with no status. My quick research makes it look like I'll earn slightly more miles by booking with BA since I'll earn based on mileage instead of fare cost, but are there any downsides to booking with BA? Would probably be worth giving up those extra miles and booking with AA if it meant I could actually select seats for the overwater segments, for example.

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by guv1976
Perhaps the type of Citi AAdvantage Card makes a difference? I know the Platinum World Select Card, for example, does cover the Caribbean:

First checked bag free for you and up to four people traveling with you on American Airlines itineraries.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: BA, AA, Air NZ
I am confused about lounge access at LAX. If I fly LAX/MIA in first/business do I have lounge access? The info on this site says I do, but the AA website says LAX/JFK only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.