Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:50 pm

Thank you both that is a great option.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:15 pm

Hi all. I'm thinking of using some Avios I have for 3 one way award tickets in coach, MIA-AMS.

BA shows availability on both their metal via LHR, and on an American 777 from MIA-LHR, connecting on to a BA flight for LHR-AMS.

If I book on AA metal, can I then use my BA confirmation number to select coach seats on the AA website for the MIA-LHR leg right away? I did a dummy booking on AA, and there are plenty of coach seats that can be reserved free of charge on the specific flight at this time.

We're a family of 3, so I'm not too concerned with whether BA or AA have wider seats, etc. I just want the 3 of us to sit together, ideally in the 3 across rows on either side of the plane that abut a window. But my understanding is BA will charge me if I try to reserve the seats far in advance on their transatlantic flights (close to $100). Trying to keep the costs down (and using Avios on Aer Lingus for cheaper taxes doesn't work for my date), so I thought flying the AA flight would help save money as advance seat reservations are important to us. Am I missing anything?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by canes98
Hi all. I'm thinking of using some Avios I have for 3 one way award tickets in coach, MIA-AMS.

BA shows availability on both their metal via LHR, and on an American 777 from MIA-LHR, connecting on to a BA flight for LHR-AMS.

If I book on AA metal, can I then use my BA confirmation number to select coach seats on the AA website for the MIA-LHR leg right away? I did a dummy booking on AA, and there are plenty of coach seats that can be reserved free of charge on the specific flight at this time.

We're a family of 3, so I'm not too concerned with whether BA or AA have wider seats, etc. I just want the 3 of us to sit together, ideally in the 3 across rows on either side of the plane that abut a window. But my understanding is BA will charge me if I try to reserve the seats far in advance on their transatlantic flights (close to $100). Trying to keep the costs down (and using Avios on Aer Lingus for cheaper taxes doesn't work for my date), so I thought flying the AA flight would help save money as advance seat reservations are important to us. Am I missing anything?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Usually, BA Manage My Booking will take you to aa.com for AA seat selection, but there may be restrictions such as fees. But AFAIK you can select seats on aa.com by acquiring the same six letter AA PNR / record locator and going to your record.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:42 pm

Hi everyone! I have a question about changing details on existing reservations. If a family of 4 is traveling together on AA miles on a partner (i.e. JAL), with 2 people in F, and 2 in J, is it possible to swap the class of the ticket with someone in your party? In other words, would I be able to call AA and have one of the people on the J reservation switch with one of the people on the F reservation (different reservation numbers ), knowing that both family members want to make this change?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pop311
Hi everyone! I have a question about changing details on existing reservations. If a family of 4 is traveling together on AA miles on a partner (i.e. JAL), with 2 people in F, and 2 in J, is it possible to swap the class of the ticket with someone in your party? In other words, would I be able to call AA and have one of the people on the J reservation switch with one of the people on the F reservation (different reservation numbers ), knowing that both family members want to make this change?
You won't be allowed to do this without cancelling and rebooking but you will probably find that the cabin crew will allow it at the start of the flight if you ask them.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pop311
In a word, no.

But as MADPhil says you may well be able to accomplish this on board. (Or not, if they’re Rules sticklers.)
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
In a word, no.

But as MADPhil says you may well be able to accomplish this on board. (Or not, if they’re Rules sticklers.)
yes, informally switching on board is the best solution. For the entire duration of the flight, of course. If the pax in question were of the same gender, it may even be possible to switch boarding passes without saying anything. But, ideally, I would suggest informing the purser of the swap.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: Free agent
If I'm booking an AA flight via Finnair codeshare, will I be able to control the ticket on my AA app and AA.com with the record locator? I asked a similar question up above but I've never booked a codeshare flight and I'm a bit nervous.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:08 pm

AA Award Travel Questions

Hello, I'm looking to fly on AA award miles to South America next December '18 / January '19. I've noticed that AA posts availability for award seats roughly about 11 months prior to date of travel. For example, AA awards are now posted for 27 October 2019.

However, I noticed that, for the entire month of October, till the 27th, they have zero availability for AA Economy Milesavers and only one date, Oct 24, available for Business Milesaver. Does this mean that all of the Milesaver awards are taken? Or does AA only release a certain amount of Economy and Business Milesavers 10 months prior, and then releases more haphazardly in the following months?

When the December '18 dates come available sometime in January 18, is there anything else I can do to improve my chance that I'll be able to book Milesaver Awards?

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance / guidance you can provide for me.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
If I'm booking an AA flight via Finnair codeshare, will I be able to control the ticket on my AA app and AA.com with the record locator? I asked a similar question up above but I've never booked a codeshare flight and I'm a bit nervous.
You'll be able to do things like select seats, but you won't be able to do anything to the underlying ticket. If you want to make any changes, it will have to be through Finnair.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Cubillas
Hello, I'm looking to fly on AA award miles to South America next December '18 / January '19. I've noticed that AA posts availability for award seats roughly about 11 months prior to date of travel. For example, AA awards are now posted for 27 October 2019.

However, I noticed that, for the entire month of October, till the 27th, they have zero availability for AA Economy Milesavers and only one date, Oct 24, available for Business Milesaver. Does this mean that all of the Milesaver awards are taken? Or does AA only release a certain amount of Economy and Business Milesavers 10 months prior, and then releases more haphazardly in the following months?

When the December '18 dates come available sometime in January 18, is there anything else I can do to improve my chance that I'll be able to book Milesaver Awards?

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance / guidance you can provide for me.
AA releases MileSAAver awards slowly and sparingly in the lead-up to a flight. Over the last couple years, it has gotten worse. There are no awards taken, most likely. They just haven't released them. AAnytime awards are available for all seats.

The best thing to do is to get an ExpertFlyer subscription and set up an alert for award space on the flights. Alternatively you could check on award availability on LATAM (using the BA Executive Club website), and book with AA miles. All partner awards are at MileSAAver levels
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:49 am

Experts Opinions

i have award tickets scheduled for December 30. Should I be worried and what should I do proactively?
Business JFK to SFO.

Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:20 am

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by DMPHL
AA releases MileSAAver awards slowly and sparingly in the lead-up to a flight. Over the last couple years, it has gotten worse. There are no awards taken, most likely. They just haven't released them. AAnytime awards are available for all seats.

The best thing to do is to get an ExpertFlyer subscription and set up an alert for award space on the flights. Alternatively you could check on award availability on LATAM (using the BA Executive Club website), and book with AA miles. All partner awards are at MileSAAver levels
Great feedback, DMPHL - Thank you for the good and prompt response! I assumed that AA didn't release all award tickets on a certain date (ie, 11 months prior to flight date) but, as you state, release these awards, especially MileSAAver awards, slowly leading up to the date of travel.

You mention an ExpertFlyer subscription. What is that? If there a cost to subscribe?

I'll also consider the LATAM / BA option. Is it easier to obtain LATAM frequent flier award tickets?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Experts Opinions

i have award tickets scheduled for December 30. Should I be worried and what should I do proactively?
Business JFK to SFO.

Thanks.
Worried about what?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Worried about what?
AA's projected pilot shortage, presumably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.