FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:18 pm
melrowgo

Originally Posted by rgkessinger
So, I'm trying to make sense of how partner EQDs per mile work.

Do I need to book through the partner airline I.e. Buy the ticket from Qatar airways to get 20% EQDs per mile, or does buying through aa.com count?

Also in both cases, how does the AA portion of a multi-leg flight get calculated?

If I book a flight through QA that has AA legs but is coded as QA all the way down, do the AA legs give spend or mile based EQDs?

If I book a flight through AA that has QA legs in it, do those give spend or mile based EQDs?
The easiest way to determine what you'll earn is to see which airline each segment is coded. All AA-coded segments book on the AA chart, which generally means earning more EQMs and fewer EQDs (fare-based), while partner-coded segments generally earn more EQDs (distance-based). Use a site like GCMap.com to determine the distance of each segment, then use the airline earnings charts on AA.com to determine the EQM/EQD percentages for that segment. Add them up, and that will give you an approximation of what AAdvantage credit you'll earn.