Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:39 pm

20%

Google AA special fares. P* and W* (,* means special fare) earn 1.5 and 20%
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
I have a question.

I have attached an itinerary receipt from AA vacations.

which chart should I be earning on ?
EQM : 1.5X EQD : 20% Class of Service : 0%

or EQM : 1.5X EQD : 25% Class of service : 25%

AA is stating that I should be earning off the first chart listed on the special fares page but as I understand it. I should be earning the P* fare unavailable chart as I was never shown the fare breakdown.

I purchased a 3 day throw away hotel to get a discount on the airfare.

You are misunderstanding the difference between special fares and fares unavailable. Just because you don't see a fare breakout doesn't mean it is "fare unavailable" and should credit via that 2nd chart. Any fare purchased with an asterisk at AA Vacations is a special fare.

From your first post it seemed like AA was crediting this by fare and not by distance, which is what my advice above pertains to. However, if they already credited it as a special fare, but you are just trying to get it credited as "fare unavailable" then that is not correct, and AA has in fact been right all along.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You are misunderstanding the difference between special fares and fares unavailable. Just because you don't see a fare breakout doesn't mean it is "fare unavailable" and should credit via that 2nd chart. Any fare purchased with an asterisk at AA Vacations is a special fare.

From your first post it seemed like AA was crediting this by fare and not by distance, which is what my advice above pertains to. However, if they already credited it as a special fare, but you are just trying to get it credited as "fare unavailable" then that is not correct, and AA has in fact been right all along.
At first AA denied crediting it as a special fare, then after the second phone call they finally credited it as a special fare with the 1st chart at 20% EQD .

I was under the impression that it was the second chart for fare unavailable so as of now it’s correct after 2 phone calls.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

At first AA denied crediting it as a special fare, then after the second phone call they finally credited it as a special fare with the 1st chart at 20% EQD .

I was under the impression that it was the second chart for fare unavailable so as of now it’s correct after 2 phone calls.
I'm curious - did they give a reason for denying credit under the Special Fare table? Presumably this was purchased with the asterisk (*) shown, so should have been a slam dunk. I've not had one of those go wrong yet. Glad it all got sorted.

Cheers.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by brp
I'm curious - did they give a reason for denying credit under the Special Fare table? Presumably this was purchased with the asterisk (*) shown, so should have been a slam dunk. I've not had one of those go wrong yet. Glad it all got sorted.

Cheers.
Also curious as to whether you applied SWUs or other upgrades to this reservation. Anecdotally and per FT postings, that is one factor that will sometimes trip published fare credit on bulk fare tickets.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Have a question regarding an R* special fare I've found on a three-class aircraft. Looking to upgrade to first from business using miles+copay. If I upgrade, will it change the mileage earning amount at all (i.e. default to a regular fare earning class)?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Have a question regarding an R* special fare I've found on a three-class aircraft. Looking to upgrade to first from business using miles+copay. If I upgrade, will it change the mileage earning amount at all (i.e. default to a regular fare earning class)?
There is no actual difference in "earning class"; the R* simply indicates a bulk fare booked into R class on AAVacations' website.

As to whether a mileage upgrade disrupts accurate mileage accrual, it's a definte maybe...if it does, you will likely be successful in changing it back (with some effort).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
There is no actual difference in "earning class"; the R* simply indicates a bulk fare booked into R class on AAVacations' website.

As to whether a mileage upgrade disrupts accurate mileage accrual, it's a definte maybe...if it does, you will likely be successful in changing it back (with some effort).
The asterisk simply indicates that it will earn EQD by distance based on the R table in Special Fares. So, effectively, the "earning class" for EQD is different. EQM is the same.

The upgrade will not affect the earnings. We've done this a number of times and it's never impacted anything. The EQD will be earned based on the R line in the Special Fares table. As mentioned, of course, on the off chance that it does, just call and they'll fix it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by brp
The asterisk simply indicates that it will earn EQD by distance based on the R table in Special Fares. So, effectively, the "earning class" for EQD is different
I think we are saying the same thing. The class is the same, the distiction is that each fare type earns diffferent EQDs.

Originally Posted by brp
The upgrade will not affect the earnings. We've done this a number of times and it's never impacted anything. The EQD will be earned based on the R line in the Special Fares table. As mentioned, of course, on the off chance that it does, just call and they'll fix it.
Technically, an upgrade is not allowed at all on bulk/consolidator fares, but AA processes these without hesitation all the time. Appreciate that it's never affected EQDs in your travels, but my clients' experiences have ranged from no impact to a need for multiple calls/escalations with AA to get the appropriate EQDs awarded on bulk tickets where SWUs were applied. Still, none have reported being denied mileage based EQDs in the final outcome. I'd say AA will (ultimately) fix it, but it may take some elbow grease and patience on the AAdvantage member's part.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we are saying the same thing. The class is the same, the distiction is that each fare type earns diffferent EQDs.
We are. I just wanted to be clear that the "earning class" is different specifically with respect to EQD between R and R* since this is an important distinction and if the effect of the asterisk were lost, the EQD "earning class" would be impacted. But, yes, same thing.

I
Technically, an upgrade is not allowed at all on bulk/consolidator fares, but AA processes these without hesitation all the time. Appreciate that it's never affected EQDs in your travels, but my clients' experiences have ranged from no impact to a need for multiple calls/escalations with AA to get the appropriate EQDs awarded on bulk tickets where SWUs were applied.
Interesting to know. In my case all of the Special Fares have come from AAVacations, so maybe they're more permissive/better and handling those versus other sources.

Edit: Just looked at the Special Fares page and Bulk Fares, Consolidator Fares and AA Vacation packages are all listed separately. It may be that the Vacation packages are not actual Bulk/Consolidator fares so that upgrades are formally allowed, and it may also be why I've had no issues while others (with Bulk/Consolidator) may have. Speculation.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jun 3, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:20 am

You can upgrade R and R* to F for 15000 points domestically for the transcon, or use SWU. there is no copay required as it is a full fare, refundable and changeable.

Difference between R and R* is earning:
EQD - R*=35% of miles flown, R=your spend
EQM - same for both, 2x miles flown
RDM - R*= 100% base, 75% class of service bonus and elite status bonus based on base fare spend. R= elite status bonus based on base fare spend

Hope this helped you with your question.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Are AA Vacations usually plain special fares or fare unavailable for awarding of EQDs etc? It seems they are just plain special fares reading above but when I have complained about them posting distance based they often post as fare unavailable. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither rhyme nor reason. They should be regular special fares, but I’ve also occasionally had them post as unavailable. And, as in your case, it’s generally when there’s some sort of intervention.

Enjoy the extra...but don’t count on it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:20 pm

Spoke with AA vacation rep. If you get a published/sale fare or sale fare that costs LESS than a tour/vacation price you won't get *. Example: mia-cordoba is on sale for $1436 in J/business class. On AA vacation this will book into I, not I*, because the published/regular fare is less than vacation fares. Can't get lowest published fare AND special fare rules typically.

Also if you fly on other partner airlines they have to have a vacation agreement with AA. So QF I and BA do, but not QR...so you can't even book vacations with AA vacations for QR...even though they are a partner airlines.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by bdsklar
Spoke with AA vacation rep. If you get a published/sale fare or sale fare that costs LESS than a tour/vacation price you won't get *. Example: mia-cordoba is on sale for $1436 in J/business class. On AA vacation this will book into I, not I*, because the published/regular fare is less than vacation fares. Can't get lowest published fare AND special fare rules typically.

Also if you fly on other partner airlines they have to have a vacation agreement with AA. So QF I and BA do, but not QR...so you can't even book vacations with AA vacations for QR...even though they are a partner airlines.

Hope that helps.
There is no I* booking class. The asterisk simply indicates that the fare used for pricing the air component of the vacation package is a bulk fare. If you see I* on your itinerary, you are on a bulk fare. If there is no asterisk, you are on a published fare (note there are advantages beyond EQD to the packaged bulk fares, namely cancellatoin provisions). These fares all use the same I class inventory made avaialble for sale, and the availability of a bulk fare does not always correspond to the best price, but often is IS lower than the lowest published fare.

In the case of MIA-COR, there are bulk fares available through consolidators for slightly more than the published fare. A call to AAVacations or a travel agent might get the same result as part of a package, but the website will only yield the lowest price (published or bulk).

With respect to booking AA vacations on partners, there is no earning advantage on bulk fares with partners, as their EQD earning is mileage based already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.