Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I think we are just interpreting what little terms AA has posted for special fares differently.

My interpretation: AA is saying that (in layman's terms) in some cases we have no idea how much you paid for your ticket, and in these cases miles will be awarded according to the special fares chart. Most of these instances involve bulk fares, consolidator fares, package bookings, etc. etc. But we are in no way guaranteeing that all bulk fares etc. will post as special fares. If we catch a whiff of how much your ticket costs, we will post it by fare.
I understand what you're saying, but that interpretation seems really crazy to me. There is absolutely no way to read the special fares page as saying "we are in no way guaranteeing that all bulk fares etc. will post as special fares" ...it in fact says bulk fares post as special fares, full stop.

I think you are conflating two completely different reasons for distance-posting: "we don't have the fare" vs. "these fares are specifically classified as special fares." Sure, if they don't have the fare because of IRROPS or something, it might post by distance, but if they go find a fare for it you have no recourse. But if it was sold as a bulk fare, AA policy is really extremely clear on that point. And there's no ambiguity whatsoever about what is and isn't a bulk fare...it's in the fare rules.

In my personal experience, I booked a special fare via AA Vacations, it incorrectly posted by fare, and it took 3 phone calls and about 5 emails to get it correctly sorted, in spite of the fact that for AA Vacations the terms are clearly spelled out (unlike bulk fares). They threw every excuse in the book at me.
Well, three responses to that:
1. And yet, eventually they did follow their policy and credit you by distance.
2. "AA tried to screw me over even though the policy was in my favor" is a bit of a dog-bites-man story. And it certainly has nothing to do with whether pax have recourse if they mis-post a bulk ticket.
3. You're relating a story about an area that even you say is unambiguous. That's no evidence whatsoever for their being any ambiguity in what is or isn't a bulk fare.

So again, until there are any DP's that prove otherwise, I would expect a hell of a time trying to convince AAdvantage Customer Service to correct a bulk fare that posted by fare, when all you are armed with is the vague aa.com language.
The language is not vague! It says bulk tickets are special fares! However, you seem to have slightly retreated here, from "there's no definition of a bulk ticket, so AA can do whatever they want with them" to something more like "sure, their policy is bulk tickets are special fares, but I anticipate you'll have a hard time getting it fixed if they break their policy." I'm prepared to acknowledge the latter. But you yourself had a hard time with AAV as well. I don't think that's very meaningful.

Also, I'd like to return to the final point from my last post: the more I think about this, the more I think we're arguing over what will happen in a circumstance that doesn't actually occur. Do we have any data points we consider reliable where AA posted a true bulk ticket by fare? I haven't seen any, and I went through this whole dang thread looking for them.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I’ve read back a couple pages but just wanted to ask to be sure.

Is it pretty safe to presume that if an AA Vacations fare has the * next to the class code that it will for sure post according to the special fares chart on AA.com?

I found a great deal for a MR for the end of this year and I want to book it but I need to make sure it posts according to the chart as I will be cutting it close on EQDs.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I’ve read back a couple pages but just wanted to ask to be sure.

Is it pretty safe to presume that if an AA Vacations fare has the * next to the class code that it will for sure post according to the special fares chart on AA.com?

I found a great deal for a MR for the end of this year and I want to book it but I need to make sure it posts according to the chart as I will be cutting it close on EQDs.
it's not only safe, it's in the rules.
From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp, you will find: "Vacation packages, including select American Airlines Vacations® packages. For Vacations, special fares are marked with an asterisk (*) after the booking code in the AAVacations.com booking path."
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:39 pm

Has anyone made a booking through Chase since the backend switch to Expedia? Are special fares still possible there?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I purchase a “flight + hotel” package at Orbitz. When I picked my flights, it was showing “Special Fare”.
I upgraded my seats by my SWUs later on.
I already flew the outbound flight and the miles were posted, but EQD was fare based not distance.
When I booked the package, I saw the total package price was cheaper than airfare only (same booking code) at AA.com. That didn’t make sense, but that’s why I bought the package rather than flight only.
I called AAdvantage and asked about that, but they need to review the tickets and they will let me know.
She asked me how much the air tickets were, but I didn’t really know just because the package price doesn’t show the airfare portion separately...
Did anyone book Orbitz package and got distance base EQD?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like AA basically gutted EQD (and RDM) earning for special fares in deep-discount economy. Starting 1/1/2019, Q and O fares are going from 10% EQD to 5% EQD (and 50% RDM to 25% RDM). There goes the ability to earn outsized EQD value by booking cheap Special Fares to Asia.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

With the changes announced today, I'm sort of glad I decided to jump ship this year.
adambadam likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Looks like AA basically gutted EQD (and RDM) earning for special fares in deep-discount economy. Starting 1/1/2019, Q and O fares are going from 10% EQD to 5% EQD (and 50% RDM to 25% RDM). There goes the ability to earn outsized EQD value by booking cheap Special Fares to Asia.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

With the changes announced today, I'm sort of glad I decided to jump ship this year.
No change to premium economy or the lowest business bucket, but I did like getting 10% on those lowest economy buckets.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:43 pm

F
Originally Posted by bworrell
No change to premium economy or the lowest business bucket, but I did like getting 10% on those lowest economy buckets.
Business-class special fares often don’t make sense, since you’ll earn more under a fare system. For example, JFK-HKG is roughly 16,000 miles round trip. A special fare in I would receive 3,200 EQD, much lower than the typical fare in discounted business between those two cities. This is just one example, but I think in general the proposition holds true.

Premium economy is better, since you still earn 20% EQD, and AA has had great PE fares, particularly to Asia. But even so, PE is usually at least twice the price of the least expensive economy fare. Under the old system, those cheapest fares earned half the EQD of PE; now they earn a mere quarter. This makes PE relatively more lucrative, but not absolutely.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
Has anyone made a booking through Chase since the backend switch to Expedia? Are special fares still possible there?
I have the same question, and wasn’t able to find a link to see the fare rules on the flight selection page. I didn’t go any further because the prices were much higher than aa.com, aavacations, Amex, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Business-class special fares often don’t make sense, since you’ll earn more under a fare system. For example, JFK-HKG is roughly 16,000 miles round trip. A special fare in I would receive 3,200 EQD, much lower than the typical fare in discounted business between those two cities. This is just one example, but I think in general the proposition holds true.
My last business-class special fare cost me $2085 and earned me $3332 EQD under the special fare chart, so there are definite advantages sometimes to using the special fare chart for business class sometimes.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
F

Premium economy is better, since you still earn 20% EQD, and AA has had great PE fares, particularly to Asia. But even so, PE is usually at least twice the price of the least expensive economy fare. Under the old system, those cheapest fares earned half the EQD of PE; now they earn a mere quarter. This makes PE relatively more lucrative, but not absolutely.
I just flew PE on AA/JAL codeshare, which I booked using points via ThankYou portal. There was no mention of wholesale fares, and it is counting as (P) Method: fares as it posts - was that expected, or do I need to ask the airline to update? I don't need the EQD, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have more.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
I just flew PE on AA/JAL codeshare, which I booked using points via ThankYou portal. There was no mention of wholesale fares, and it is counting as (P) Method: fares as it posts - was that expected, or do I need to ask the airline to update? I don't need the EQD, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have more.
I am by no means a TYP expert, but my understanding is that tickets booked through the portal will not always post as a special fare and there's not really a hard rule as to when TYP tickets will post as fare or distance. Perhaps others can chime in...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Sometimes using credit card points gets you Special Fares, sometimes it doesn't. AA certainly doesn't say it should, so you have no grounds for asking them to change it.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:50 am

I am by no means a TYP expert, but my understanding is that tickets booked through the portal will not always post as a special fare and there's not really a hard rule as to when TYP tickets will post as fare or distance. Perhaps others can chime in...
The first part is correct; the second part, less so. Tickets purchased from the portal may or may not be bulk fares. But there is really a hard rule about when they are: when the fare rules say so. You can check the fare rules before purchase; see above.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:13 pm

My interpretation: AA is saying that (in layman's terms) in some cases we have no idea how much you paid for your ticket, and in these cases miles will be awarded according to the special fares chart. Most of these instances involve bulk fares, consolidator fares, package bookings, etc. etc. But we are in no way guaranteeing that all bulk fares etc. will post as special fares. If we catch a whiff of how much your ticket costs, we will post it by fare.
Was looking at the changes AA made to special fare rates, and noted that the table now explicitly differentiates between "fare unavailable" and "special fare" ...the rates are even different for a couple fare buckets. So, I feel like that pretty strongly suggests the bulk=special thing isn't simply a side effect of AA not knowing the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.