Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra Seats and Service
The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner entered service October 6, 2016.
The aircraft accommodates 207 Main Cabin seats plus 27 Main Cabin Extra seats (for a total of 234 Economy seats)

Related threads:
Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016
Boeing 787-9 / 789 Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat & Service (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:02 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the AA forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz and AAdvantage co-moderator
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I had read that only the first row will have leg rest while all other rows will only have a foot rest. It appears that Delta's new Premium Economy will have leg rest for all seats in all rows.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA mgmt chooses to go straight B-team on their product? I don't believe it. Never will.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
From photos, it looks like that the first row of AA PE seats have full leg rests which can be put up, while the following rows only have drop down footrests for the passenger to use. Can anyone confirm this?
Originally Posted by 869
AA mgmt chooses to go straight B-team on their product? I don't believe it. Never will.
I despise leg rests. I'm relatively tall and I've never met a Y/PE leg rest that I like. They aren't comfortable.

So I'd say the AA seats without legrests are better
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:58 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by bse118
I despise leg rests. I'm relatively tall and I've never met a Y/PE leg rest that I like. They aren't comfortable.

So I'd say the AA seats without legrests are better
But wouldn't you have the option of not raising them?

I very much prefer leg rest to the foot rest as even when the foot rest it is up the bar does obstruct space underneath the seat in front of me.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy

I very much prefer leg rest to the foot rest as even when the foot rest it is up the bar does obstruct space underneath the seat in front of me.
I prefer the leg rests; and AA sucks for going the cheap route on its PE product.

No, he wouldn't have the choice to not raise the leg rests on AA PE. They are only offered in the front row where there are no footrests to drop down from seat in front of him. So on AA PE he can just avoid first row to avoid the leg rests.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Sure, but then there's *no* accommodation to raise your feet. The footrest on the seat in front works better for most taller people. The leg rests will just dig into the calves/back of the ankles for many.

To each his own; I suppose AA is giving a choice.

And if anyone remembers the old, old 767-200 non-ERs that were used on AFS transcons >10 yrs ago, business class had legrests in about 40" of seat pitch. It was pretty tight.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:47 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Sure, but then there's *no* accommodation to raise your feet. The footrest on the seat in front works better for most taller people. The leg rests will just dig into the calves/back of the ankles for many.

To each his own; I suppose AA is giving a choice.

And if anyone remembers the old, old 767-200 non-ERs that were used on AFS transcons >10 yrs ago, business class had legrests in about 40" of seat pitch. It was pretty tight.
I see, the reason I despise foot rest underneath the seat in front is that the footrest brings my knees to a level where it hits the back of a fully reclined seat if that makes sense. The foot rest, when extended, sits above the metal bar on the side that latches the seat row to the fuelsage floor. That is kind of high off of the floor (3-4 inches it seems).

I can understand how the in-seat legrest can be uncomfortable for some passengers. I do have concerns about how far out the leg rest extends. Often it isn't far enough for me and I am 6 ft.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I prefer the leg rests; and AA sucks for going the cheap route on its PE product.

No, he wouldn't have the choice to not raise the leg rests on AA PE. They are only offered in the front row where there are no footrests to drop down from seat in front of him. So on AA PE he can just avoid first row to avoid the leg rests.
Sounds just like CX's PE product.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:53 pm

Looking at the pictures, AA PE seats look exactly like the CX one's. Would be interesting to see how much it reclines. I certainly hope they come to JFK in the not too distant future, although I doubt it.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by tphuang
Looking at the pictures, AA PE seats look exactly like the CX one's. Would be interesting to see how much it reclines. I certainly hope they come to JFK in the not too distant future, although I doubt it.
Not sure, but I think CX PE seat recline is 7 or 8 inches. It's a pretty comfortable seat in my opinion.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
there are TR out there on AA PE and the rows except first have only drop down foot rest. so it's similar to CX PE. I take CX PE almost every month and I don't really mind this set up.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I hate the foot rests.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:35 pm

Leg rests in the front row and foot rests in all others seems pretty standard for that type of Y+...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:40 pm

When I flew a Qantas several years ago, the PE seats had the same footrest arrangement with the bulkhead row having the "better" foot rests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.