Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Impossible, Illogical and Duplicate Bookings
"American Airlines specifically prohibits practices commonly known as: (in part)

"Duplicate and impossible/illogical bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFK to DFW and LGA to DFW or DFW to LAX and DFW to ONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight."

Also please note: "Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines."

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage
Link to Sep 2010 thread announcing AA issuance of rules pertaining to this issue.
Print Wikipost

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by shonamac
If an EXP were to make multiple bookings for the same city-pair on adjacent days, what are the likely consequences?

Not being quite sure of the travel date, if an EXP booked the same trip on several consecutive dates, is there likely to be any adverse consequence?

PS. I know that blocking award space means someone else cannot get them, so please spare me the lecture on that score

How about calling the EXP line and asking what the rules are and then following them? No lecture regarding rules please.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by thekevstir
You can place award tickets on a 5 day hold. Why don't you just do that until you firm up what dates you will actually need. You should be able to place multiple holds as long as it's not for the same person on the same flight on the same day.
Holds, as you pointed out, are for 5 days only whereas the trip is likely to be 3-4 weeks away. And waiting until a later day to book is out, since that would increase the risk of no award seats being available on the one partner airline that will serve the purpose.

Hence, there is no alternative to getting multiple award tickets issued if the passenger wants to be assured of a seat during that window of time.

But what can / will AA do if they find out?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:43 pm

With as sparse as SAAver space is these days, I'd think that most of us would be rooting for them to kick/ban you and release the seats.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:10 pm

I've been told that if the system determines that you cannot make the flight, i.e. Day 1, DFW-HKG, and you have a separate booking the very next day departing from US, it will automatically cancel the second reservation, because there's no way you'd be back from HKG in one day. So if the flights are short enough, maybe nothing will happen. Otherwise, they may get cancelled automatically
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Pretty sure it will be easy to see and duplicates will get cancelled if to the same city pairs. Not really sure what the concern is as Anytime awards just need to have a seat available and since there are no Milesaver awards out there, Anytime awards will most likely need to be booked and almost every flight has seats up until day of departure to book.

So on behalf of those that follow the rules not to screw others, kindly do the right thing. Seems like you lectured someone not too long ago.........

shonamac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Agree with most here. Mileage runs on another carrier. I've got 4 trip on QR in biz that will net me well over 20.000 EQD. I've got 0 booked flights on AA. How's that working out for you, AA?

As another poster said, I'm wondering when AA is going to change how EQD is earned on other one world carrier. I just hope not until after I fly.
Posts like yours will accelerate the demise of the current rules.

Last edited by flyerguy1975; Feb 13, 2017 at 7:21 pm Reason: added more text
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
If an EXP were to make multiple bookings for the same city-pair on adjacent days, what are the likely consequences?
DFW-ORD on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday, cancelling two of them closer in? Probably nbd, who cares.

DFW-HKG on multiple consecutive days, someone might care. Two reservations probably still nbd (the free redeposit isn't qualified in T&Cs) but wouldn't be something you should advertise (here or elsewhere) that you're doing when you intend to book one of the tickets without flying it.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Platinum
Holds, as you pointed out, are for 5 days only whereas the trip is likely to be 3-4 weeks away. And waiting until a later day to book is out, since that would increase the risk of no award seats being available on the one partner airline that will serve the purpose.

Hence, there is no alternative to getting multiple award tickets issued if the passenger wants to be assured of a seat during that window of time.

I have had a hold canceled on this basis. And when AA cancels a hold, there is no record at all in your account of its previous existence. I called in to get the hold reinstated for ticketing (the award space had disappeared by then), and was only able to do so because I had written down the confirmation number.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
What about flights ticketed on different Oneworld airlines with matching AAdvantage details? I had put a hold on a partner award ticket (booked via AA) the same day as the return segment of a paid ticket (ticketed through JAL but with AA PNR/codeshares). I've since cancelled the hold after scaring myself straight reading these threads - any risk to my JAL PNR retroactively? Last thing I want is to be stranded!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
DFW-HKG on multiple consecutive days, someone might care. Two reservations probably still nbd ...
Is there anything definitive on this? I'm planning to make two longhaul award bookings on the same partner airline, and cancel one later. These are one-ways with the same origin and destination, two days apart. They are not impossible---I could take the first, fly all the way back on a *A airline, and turn around and take the second. But would certainly be illogical (in the sense of 'crazy') to do this, and I would not actually do this. How is "illogical" defined? I don't want any hassles with AA...
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Does it work any different if booked through a third party with no AA number in the reservation? Leaves 1 day apart same origin and final destination? Both still active, how far out do they cancel. i know i should probably go in and cancel the second but was hoping to wait till closer to the first departure.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CDKing
Does it work any different if booked through a third party with no AA number in the reservation? Leaves 1 day apart same origin and final destination? Both still active, how far out do they cancel. i know i should probably go in and cancel the second but was hoping to wait till closer to the first departure.
Need lots more info here. What are the carriers, cities, and are both flights ticketed? If both are ticketed (i.e. one or both are not on hold) then AA will not arbitrarily cancel either of them.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Need lots more info here. What are the carriers, cities, and are both flights ticketed? If both are ticketed (i.e. one or both are not on hold) then AA will not arbitrarily cancel either of them.
All ticketed as of a few weeks ago, all AA flights under AA flight numbers. Sounds like i still have time to cancel one.

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 31, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:03 pm

HI I have a duplicate booking issue.

Essentially I have a longhaul booking HKG-LAX-SEA, and then I realized a bit later I need to go to a different city in the U.S. that is not Seattle.

So I booked LAX-XXX as a stand-alone ticket. It departs after original itinerary concludes, but would be impossible to do all legs. In other words, the "new" ticket departs LAX like an hour after the original ticket has me landing in SEA.

I booked both tickets with money, and paid with two different credit cards.

Both tickets are confirmed and ticketed, and a couple days old.

Both (perhaps stupidly) have my AA number on them.

My question: What to do now? Should I call and remove my AA number from both? Will that draw attention to it? Is it possible they won't notice? If they do cancel one of the tickets, do I get a refund for that flight? I guess I can do LAX-SEA-XXX and not break any rules, but it adds some travel time. What should I do?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Curious as to how thorough AA is with this.

I have an upcoming trip I'm planning and there's a bit of an issue (I think).

I have a ticketed itinerary: XXX-LAX-MIA-XXX. All three flights are separated by several months' time. I actually need the first two segments, but the last segment might have been used or would be a throwaway. It was necessary to book because of the fare savings by booking a round trip.

However, I now may potentially need to fly outbound LAX to Europe on the same date as the MIA-XXX flight.There's no way that I could fly LAX to Europe and return in time on the same date to make the MIA-XXX flight.

If I were to book the LAX-Europe trip, is it likely to get cancelled by AA?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Curious as to how thorough AA is with this.

I have an upcoming trip I'm planning and there's a bit of an issue (I think).

I have a ticketed itinerary: XXX-LAX-MIA-XXX. All three flights are separated by several months' time. I actually need the first two segments, but the last segment might have been used or would be a throwaway. It was necessary to book because of the fare savings by booking a round trip.

However, I now may potentially need to fly outbound LAX to Europe on the same date as the MIA-XXX flight.There's no way that I could fly LAX to Europe and return in time on the same date to make the MIA-XXX flight.

If I were to book the LAX-Europe trip, is it likely to get cancelled by AA?
It will not get cancelled as long as you ticket it immediately. Don't put it on hold and let it sit there for a day or two, which is when AA's computers might catch it.

But if you figure out that you for sure need to fly the LAX-Europe, and no longer need the MIA-XXX, just pull up the MIA-XXX reservation at aa.com and cancel it. That will remove all doubts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.