Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Mathnlaw - can you please report back and let us know what happens if you call AA to discuss the offer? I completely understand charging for a boost to PPro for the folks under 75k, but I can't possibly begin to understand why they are charging $900 to fliers who were OVER the 75k threshold. This isn't a boost...we already hit the minimum requirement. They really need to fix this!
Current Plat, did 103 EQS and 63K EQM last year and got the $900 offer to Platinum Pro.

Spoke to customer service on the phone for about an hour or so bouncing to as high of a manager as they would send me to before they told me to email customer satisfaction.

Basically they said that the promotion was because people expressed interest in having Plat Pro starting this year. I explained our situation having earned the minimum requirements last year and was told that doesn't matter, and that this is the offer that corporate gave them.

Since it's only day one the manager said there is nothing they could do. I would assume if enough of us complain about the devaluation of our status and the actual earned miles flown last year, we may get the cost down some, but its going to require more than just a few calls.

Regards,
Karl
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT
Originally Posted by Krazy Karl
Current Plat, did 103 EQS and 63K EQM last year and got the $900 offer to Platinum Pro.

Spoke to customer service on the phone for about an hour or so bouncing to as high of a manager as they would send me to before they told me to email customer satisfaction.

Basically they said that the promotion was because people expressed interest in having Plat Pro starting this year. I explained our situation having earned the minimum requirements last year and was told that doesn't matter, and that this is the offer that corporate gave them.

Since it's only day one the manager said there is nothing they could do. I would assume if enough of us complain about the devaluation of our status and the actual earned miles flown last year, we may get the cost down some, but its going to require more than just a few calls.

Regards,
Karl
I'll be sure to call to do my part registering my dissatisfaction.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:11 pm

New AAdvantage Platinum Pro

I am close to a million miler with American - was a 85K / 100 segment flyer LY.

American created a new elite level - Platinum Pro. It requires 75K miles / or 90 Segments to qualify... American "invited me" to join for $899. Seems odd, don't you think? I qualify, based on last year's miles (how I would earn any other 2017 status...), however, since it is a new program/level - you can only "buy your way in".

Doesn't do much to enhance my loyalty. Am I expecting too much?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I did not think of that either. Maybe I should give some thought about this…
The SDFC is interesting that it was added to Plat Pro, but I will claim strongly that AA locking the same connection point for such changes is pretty restrictive.

I can see certain situations like "shuttle" type flying where there is enough direct frequency to use the low fare of the day game, but for most travels involving a connection point, I don't think this will be very useful. In the West, we have so many PHX/DFW/LAX connection-like options where SDFC will give very few options. In the east, you have this PHL/MIA/CLT situation I think.

I am glad someone has figured out opportunities where PlatPro can offer some value, that is good news.

Rasheed

(SDFC new reference: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp)
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by TimofEG
I am close to a million miler with American - was a 85K / 100 segment flyer LY.

American created a new elite level - Platinum Pro. It requires 75K miles / or 90 Segments to qualify... American "invited me" to join for $899. Seems odd, don't you think? I qualify, based on last year's miles (how I would earn any other 2017 status...), however, since it is a new program/level - you can only "buy your way in".

Doesn't do much to enhance my loyalty. Am I expecting too much?
No not at all, I am in the same boat, 75 EQM /93 EQS, I might of bitten at say 499 but not 899. Like I mentioned earlier I will just become a free agent, my travel is all short hops for work so SDCF does not entice me to but this. I was already on the fence about AA anyway, they just cant seem to communicate delays etc properly.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fkhan11
I took the deal for $1749.

Platinum just doesn't get you upgraded that much anymore. Now I can book the lowest fare for the day, 9 out of 10 times get the same day change (as opposed to 50% success rate on standby and a middle seat in row 26) , and get complimentary upgrades from the date of booking. The fare differences between a day fare and night fare can be easily $200. Between the savings on fares, and not having to buy upgrades because I don't earn them fast enough, make my $1750 back easy. Seems to me a no-brainer for my situation, IMHO.
I hope you're not disappointed. Speaking as EXP, I find my "same day" requests are honored about 50%, with available seats often not being released. (Put on standby instead, which typically meets with success, provided seats are available, since I tend to shoot to top of waitlist ... Plat Pro likely will similarly benefit.)

"Upgrade" comment is a little confusing; assume you're referring tp upgrade priority. Actual upgrade occurs at defined window. Of course, you're a day earlier than Plat.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:42 am

Does anyone know whether PPro is in effect in terms of upgrade priority? Meaning, for those who buy "up" to the level, will they truly be ahead of Platinum now or is AA still in the process of rolling that change out in their systems?

I have yet to hear reference to PPro when boarding.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: american
Originally Posted by hdporter
I hope you're not disappointed. Speaking as EXP, I find my "same day" requests are honored about 50%, with available seats often not being released. (Put on standby instead, which typically meets with success, provided seats are available, since I tend to shoot to top of waitlist ... Plat Pro likely will similarly benefit.)

"Upgrade" comment is a little confusing; assume you're referring tp upgrade priority. Actual upgrade occurs at defined window. Of course, you're a day earlier than Plat.
I was saying that being platinum does not get me upgraded that often anymore, I usually fall 4 or lower on the list, and seats just aren't available.

And as for buying upgrades, I was referring to the 500 mile upgrades, which are now harder to earn because of the earned mileage change based on fare, and still cost $40 per piece.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by fkhan11
I was saying that being platinum does not get me upgraded that often anymore, I usually fall 4 or lower on the list, and seats just aren't available.

And as for buying upgrades, I was referring to the 500 mile upgrades, which are now harder to earn because of the earned mileage change based on fare, and still cost $40 per piece.
It sounds like you're under the impression that the miles toward 500 mile stickers are based on RDM. This is incorrect. EQMs are used to track progress toward earning stickers, which are still distance based.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:18 am

If I accept this offer, do I need to call in to have status for previously booked flights adjusted, or does it automatically update?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador
Current PLT, flew 73K EQM last year and my offer was $1099. I'm sitting here scratching my head whether I should take it or not.

I should be able to hit 75K by Oct or Nov year, why not get the benefits 10-11 months earlier... The same day change is probably the biggest game changer for me by far, I'm like eh about the upgrades. Can't remember the last time I got an upgrade. I've got a pile of 500 mile stickers laying around.

I agree with everyone about hitting 75K and being asked to pay $899. If I knew I could hit 75K and get a good deal (really good deal) on boosting to PPRO, then I would have flown those last 2K last year...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:50 am

I don't see why people are "offended" or whatever that were offered to buy PPro status early based on 2016 flying.
I mean for the $899 price (or whatever you get offered) that AA sells it to you for, you get immediate access to free upgrades, not that you'll automatically clear all of them, but still. If you fly enough you don't want to wait to earn it later in 2017, you're merely prepaying for upgrades you'd have to use 500 mi upgrades for until you become PPro the long way later in 2017.

One question I have is that EP's don't earn 500 mi upgrades, so is that the case for PPro people also? Seems unfair for PPro to earn them and use for companions while EP's do not. Maybe I missed that discussion.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:13 pm

SDFC gone?

I was struggling to decide if the same-day flight change was actually available, as it was "checked" on the elite status benefits page, but the written description only indicated that EXPs received complimentary changes (based on status).

Now it appears that the table has changed. Does anyone have information to the contrary, or is this definitely not a PlatPro benefit?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
I was struggling to decide if the same-day flight change was actually available, as it was "checked" on the elite status benefits page, but the written description only indicated that EXPs received complimentary changes (based on status).

Now it appears that the table has changed. Does anyone have information to the contrary, or is this definitely not a PlatPro benefit?
According to TPG it is not a benefit of PLT PRO
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tismfu
Does anyone know whether PPro is in effect in terms of upgrade priority? Meaning, for those who buy "up" to the level, will they truly be ahead of Platinum now or is AA still in the process of rolling that change out in their systems?
Yes, in effect presently.

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I don't see why people are "offended" or whatever that were offered to buy PPro status early based on 2016 flying....
I'm a little puzzled by that as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.