Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it?
NOTE: AAdvantage Platinum Pro elite status became available 1/1/2017.

Platinum Pro status requirements: in one calendar year, earn $9,000 EQD*, AND earn 75,000 EQ Miles or fly 90 EQ Segments.

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Status will last the status year earned and the following status year. (Platinum Pro status earned in 2017 will last through 31 Jan 2019.)

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Free Same Day Flight Change (SDFC)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (EQM only)
  • Earn 9 Award Miles per "fare dollar" spent (fare & carrier imposed fees, not taxes, etc.)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld Sapphire benefits (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Platinum Pro members will not earn four 500-mile upgrades as you get unlimited domestic upgrades (UDU).

Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • N.B. Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

This thread has been started in anticipation of the announced new AAdvantage status tier, Platinum Pro, available in 2017. For details, glossary and links, please read the wikipost at the top of the page.

If you can not see the wikipost:
  • Wikiposts currently can not be seen with the mobile skin

• You can go to the "wikipost" blue menu bar at the top of a thread page and click on the "-" sign at the right end of the bar, which minimizes all wikis. You can turn wiki posts "on" by clicking the "+" in the same menu bar when you wish.)

• You may have Wikiposts turned off in your settings

If so, in "My FlyerTalk - Your Control Panel - Edit Options - Miscellaneous options" see

Wikipost Hide All

Hide all Wiki Posts in Threads
[] Hide all wikiposts

and reset as needed.
/Moderator
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 25, 2018 at 11:00 am Reason: Rededicate
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Thread factory has sent a new thread in anticipation of member use.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
UA PLT has the same 75K mile & $9K spend qualification (which can be waived by credit card spending - expect the same from AA), but it is marginally better because it includes 2 Regional Premier upgrades (basically, like a SWU, but limited to North America).

Last edited by PolarRoute; Jun 8, 2016 at 12:39 pm Reason: add info
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by PolarRoute
UA PLT has the same 75K mile & $9K spend qualification (which can be waived by credit card spending - expect the same from AA), but it is marginally better because it includes 2 Regional Premier upgrades (basically, like a SWU, but limited to North America).
I was on this intermediate level with UA for a year, and I thought it was a great benefit vs. having to drop to UA GLD (UA's equivalent of PLT). I had been 1K before that and felt like my level of service and upgrades did not drop a lot. This level sets you above a lot of others in the 50K miles group for upgrade priority and I think worth the effort if you are going to be close.

I'm happy to see it, as it gives me something to shoot for. I flew 72K miles last year and would probably have made one more trip to cross the 75K threshold if the program had existed then. I'll fly about 80K this year and probably the same in 2017, so I see this particular change as a nice improvement for fliers like me.

I'm hoping that AA calling out the two free bag benefit is only meant to show that PLT Pro will not get 3 bags like EXP and is not a harbinger of a reduction for PLT.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
UA Platinum also board as Group 1, with the 1Ks, F, & C people - not an insignificant benefit. Not sure if Pro Platinum has that benefit or not?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I think the biggest benefit of Platinum Pro over Platinum is no longer the need to use e500s to upgrade oneself.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sapguy
UA Platinum also board as Group 1, with the 1Ks, F, & C people - not an insignificant benefit. Not sure if Pro Platinum has that benefit or not?
Not sure it really matters anymore, I generally find AA boarding to be a complete CF. About 90% of the time (in my current experience) they just call FC and then "Priority Access" which is nominally 70% of the plane most of the time.

Regards
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
A better question than what are the benefits of 75k/PlatPro is what are the clawbacks on Platinum? Right now I only see that sticker upgrades clear closer in (48 hours vs previous 72).

But, is OW Sapphire still conveyed at 50k? Are biz lounges still free when on Int'l E? Any changes to fees?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eddieflyer
A better question than what are the benefits of 75k/PlatPro is what are the clawbacks on Platinum? Right now I only see that sticker upgrades clear closer in (48 hours vs previous 72).

But, is OW Sapphire still conveyed at 50k? Are biz lounges still free when on Int'l E? Any changes to fees?
For that discussion, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...light=Platinum is better.

/Moderator
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
To distinguish PPro from PLT and make it at least a bit more symmetric with the equivalent status on other airlines, PPro should really have the following two features:

(1) It should include the waiver of award change/redeposit fees. (As do the other carriers.)

(2) It should be attainable for life at 3 million miles. (Actually, at 3m, UA confers lifetime 1K status, their EP equivalent, so this wouldn't be quite as good, but it would give people a target to aim for.)

Of course, it should not include SWUs, FC lounge access, or the EP phone line.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think the biggest benefit of Platinum Pro over Platinum is no longer the need to use e500s to upgrade oneself.
this would be true if the EXPs were not getting all the upgrades!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billgrates3
this would be true if the EXPs were not getting all the upgrades!
However, I think when EQDs come into effect next year, there will be a number of current EXPs who will not meet that new threashold and may end up being only Platinum Pro. Or even Platinum.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Fanjet
However, I think when EQDs come into effect next year, there will be a number of current EXPs who will not meet that new threashold and may end up being only Platinum Pro. Or even Platinum.
And the rest of EXPs are leaving AA 😜
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juanefny
Nope. I'm staying.

I have to fly to get to places where I need to be. In many cases (though not always), AA is the airline which best suits that need.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Juanefny
EXP with focus on international travels are unlikely to switch to an inferior product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.