Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Future of AA at PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Future of AA at PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by formeraa
I take a balanced approach to this issue. It is likely that PHX will not become much larger, nor will it become drastically smaller. It will likely be "right-sized" with some changes in destinations served. AA recently invested in upgrading one of the Admiral's Clubs, which does mean there is some interest in PHX.

PHX is is a relatively low-cost, low delay airport to operate out of. Unless something drastic happens to change airline economics, I believe that PHX is here to stay (at more or less its current size). Some people think that the expansion at LAX is at the expense of PHX. I disagree because ultimately LAX is higher cost and space-constrained in the short to medium term.

EDITED TO ADD: In addition, PHX has great capabilities to "flex" during peak times. The flights are scheduled perfectly to be able to add 2 more banks late at night during peak times, using existing aircraft which would overnight at the spoke stations. AA seems to be using this capability just like US did.
I agree with this post. For my trips to smaller cities beyond the Rockies, I looked at the merger as an opportunity to connect through PHX rather than ORD or DFW which have far more weather related delays. Also, it provides more opportunity to fly from JFK than LGA which depending on the time of day, has less departure delays. Trips connecting through LAX involve expensive transcon flights, and a trip to the "nest" for the connection.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please: let's avoid overpersonalizing and questioning other members' motives. Posting about one airport or another, or even comparing them and their communities, do not imply hate or negative commentary. Let's keep to the topic.

/Moderator
Old May 14, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I expect PHX to continue to be an important AA domestic hub. LAX remains too space constrained to shift flying to and AA needs a domestic connecting hub in the West, which DFW is too far for.

AA management has communicated that they want to keep increasing capacity as it is incrementally profitable and low cost carriers continue to keep fares low. DFW has seen increased competition from spirit and Southwest recently. Shifting capacity to DFW probably makes less sense now than before.

The fleet changes make sense. Am seeing AA 738s more frequently through PHX. But that's more a factor of US having a more optimized domestic fleet (largest A320 series operator) compared to LAA which had a lot of MD-80s which need to be retired. Post merger the standalone fleet adds of A319s and A321s on the AA side were shifted to as many A321s as possible. US 319s are doing some LAX long and thin flying that the MD80 didn't have the range for and the 738 was too big for, and those 738s are doing PHX flying replacing those 319s.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Piedmont767
All hubs will be right sized, PHX is no exception, there is some possible flights better served by DFW and LAX (think to East Coast, Canada, Alaska, Hawaii and LatAm). PHX will likely remain a large domestic hub, with a focus on connections to the West Coast whilst LAX focus on O&D.
But AA's niche in PHX over Southwest is those flights to the East Coast (nonstop service to NYC and BOS, dominance of PHX-PHL), Canada, Alaska, Hawaii and LatAm.

AA's challenge in PHX is Southwest. In over several of PHX's top markets where AA directly competes against WN, WN dominates in market share and fare premium.

AA also has a perimeter exemption advantage over Southwest with AA having rights for PHX-DCA while Southwest lacks them. However in a couple of quarters, Southwest dominated over PHX-WAS marketshare likely through BWI.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by beyondhere

AA also has a perimeter exemption advantage over Southwest with AA having rights for PHX-DCA while Southwest lacks them. However in a couple of quarters, Southwest dominated over PHX-WAS marketshare likely through BWI.
Partly as WN attracts fewer business flyers than AA on WAS-PHX. AA likely charges a somewhat premium fare for DCA-PHX (and DCA-PHX-anywhere else). WN can undercut that, and AA is likely happy to let people paying lower fares go to WN. And, WN uses its DCA exemption to here at AUS, as it has a much stronger frequent flyer base (and business traveler base) in Austin and in Texas than it does at PHX.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Partly as WN attracts fewer business flyers than AA on WAS-PHX. AA likely charges a somewhat premium fare for DCA-PHX (and DCA-PHX-anywhere else).
WN dominated Q1 of 2014 and Q1 of 2015 in fare and marketshare. Maybe an uptick of snowbird traffic (which is leisure driven), but the two are pretty close year-round from 2014 data, although this was US (for 2014). It's just interesting from a DCA vs. BWI perspective, more than a AA vs. WN perspective, as the assumed knowledge was that DCA is a premium fare airport over BWI.

Fortunately for both of them, neither F9 or NK has ventured on PHX-BWI/IAD. That would cause fare drops by WN and AA on PHX-WAS fares.

As WN has become a high fare carrier, it might not be such a concern and AA might co-exist there with WN, but WN dominates too many PHX routes. It's one thing as DL dominates PHX-ATL and DL dominates it's flights to it's 2-3 hubs, but WN has too many hubs/large stations on the other side, where it dominates both fare and marketshare (California, Chicago, DEN, Texas, STL, etc.) from PHX. I think lack of change fees and easy schedule changing, might be why people are selecting Southwest in PHX on those routes.

Last edited by beyondhere; May 14, 2016 at 11:22 am
Old May 14, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Charlotte has the benefit off having high-value O&D- due mainly to Charlotte being the second largest financial center in the USA (think Bank of America and Wells Fargo). Charlotte has 7 F500 Companies compared to Phoenix's 5; the highest rated company in Charlotte was Bank of America at 23 whilst the highest Phoenix company is 108. Charlotte is among the fastest growing cities in the USA.

Outside of the metro area, in a 150km radius, Charlotte has an estimated catchment of 11,955,920 whilst Phoenix's is 5,135,661.
Phoenix MSA has almost twice the populations of Charlotte's, more high net worth individuals, a far larger GMP, and something that Charlotte doesn't have at all - a booming tourism industry.

To quote Fortune 500 companies here is to take things out of context. St. Louis, MO has 9 F500s, more than PHX and CLT, but I don't think you'll find anyone here arguing that STL is an economic powerhouse.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
This may be a stupid question but do you think AA would ever throw a couple of flights out of Mesa Gateway in PHX? I've never been to the airport (and I live about 5 minutes from it) but drive by it often and have always thought about it.

It seems like it would be a price effective way to push some originating PHX passengers to that airport who plan to connect anyways. Maybe a once a day flight to DFW and ORD or something like that. Just a thought. It may be far more difficult than I am thinking but curious if it could work.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
This may be a stupid question but do you think AA would ever throw a couple of flights out of Mesa Gateway in PHX? I've never been to the airport (and I live about 5 minutes from it) but drive by it often and have always thought about it.
Probably as much a possibility as AA starting flights out of the airport in Wilimington, DE.

Besides, didn't Allegiant already move into that airport?
Old May 25, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Just a data point, the LBB-PHX route is ending on 6/1. This makes me sad since it was a great alternative to DFW for getting to the west coast.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Probably as much a possibility as AA starting flights out of the airport in Wilimington, DE.
Ha, I actually live a bit closer to ILG than I do PHL, and haven't considered using it over PHL for the token services attempted over the years by the likes of DL and F9, and I don't believe there is any commercial service there now. There just isn't a compelling reason geographically to use it instead, and PHL isn't that hard to get to from the southern Philly suburbs. People in northern Delaware generally use PHL with some bleed to BWI, as it's not really far at all to PHL. ILG might be a reliever airport in the distant future, but there's just no need now, and PHL is far closer to more people in the Philly metro area.

At this point, PHX is not exactly maxed out, and redeploying assets to another Phoenix-area airport would either cannibalize PHX or, more likely, just be a waste of resources versus the potential revenue doing so might bring.

F9 (Frontier) has been a bit more successful at TTN, but it's at least in an area that is annoying drive to either EWR or PHL depending on the time of day due to traffic and distance, and lately F9 has been building up a PHL presence more anyway.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Where are you getting that info from?
There's been no announcement and flights are still coming up for sale in the GDS'
Old May 25, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
<redacted>Charlotte has 7 F500 Companies compared to Phoenix's 5; the highest rated company in Charlotte was Bank of America at 23 whilst the highest Phoenix company is 108. Charlotte is among the fastest growing cities in the USA
I don't see the relationship between the F500 rank of a company and the amount of travel its employees do.

Some F500 are very large but they are geographically spread-out (so where the HQs is not indicative of much).

I worked at a F500 firm and I was one of the few ones (out of ~100 in my local office) doing heavy travel. And the travel policy sucked (corporate travel website that forced us to pick cheapest travel or nonstop, no business class even for long haul, even if reimbursable!)

Now I work at a boutique consulting firm and 80% of my colleagues at my tiny office travel heavily (and travel policies are much more flexible, been flying paid J this year a lot).

Anyway, YAY to PHX. Unless I am connecting to an international flight or to JFK, I don't see a reason why I would prefer LAX over PHX.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive

Ha! I figured! Just was thinking about it

Yes they did. I don't know how big the airport even is
Old May 25, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I have actually taken a commercial flight from ILG (1960s - Allegheny if I recall correctly) but alas I understand the economic changes that have reformed the American air transport industry. Perhaps someday there will be a commercial agreement to use the runways at Dover AFB, which is a bit further from PHL/BWI/DCA.

As for PHX, the passenger rail connection to Tuscon can't come fast enough, though prices exArizona on AA are mostly non-competitive.

PS: Yes I hope I still have friends in both areas.

Happy wandering

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.