FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation: Future of AA at PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor?
Old May 13, 2016, 7:49 am
george 3

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by formeraa
I take a balanced approach to this issue. It is likely that PHX will not become much larger, nor will it become drastically smaller. It will likely be "right-sized" with some changes in destinations served. AA recently invested in upgrading one of the Admiral's Clubs, which does mean there is some interest in PHX.

PHX is is a relatively low-cost, low delay airport to operate out of. Unless something drastic happens to change airline economics, I believe that PHX is here to stay (at more or less its current size). Some people think that the expansion at LAX is at the expense of PHX. I disagree because ultimately LAX is higher cost and space-constrained in the short to medium term.

EDITED TO ADD: In addition, PHX has great capabilities to "flex" during peak times. The flights are scheduled perfectly to be able to add 2 more banks late at night during peak times, using existing aircraft which would overnight at the spoke stations. AA seems to be using this capability just like US did.
I agree with this post. For my trips to smaller cities beyond the Rockies, I looked at the merger as an opportunity to connect through PHX rather than ORD or DFW which have far more weather related delays. Also, it provides more opportunity to fly from JFK than LGA which depending on the time of day, has less departure delays. Trips connecting through LAX involve expensive transcon flights, and a trip to the "nest" for the connection.