Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Future of AA at PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Future of AA at PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rubikcube
Just a data point, the LBB-PHX route is ending on 6/1. This makes me sad since it was a great alternative to DFW for getting to the west coast.
That flight is still very bookable for months out so I'd love to know where you're getting that info from. In other news, I've heard AMA along with SAF are pushing hard for a PHX connection, and both seem relatively likely at some point.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
This may be a stupid question but do you think AA would ever throw a couple of flights out of Mesa Gateway in PHX? I've never been to the airport (and I live about 5 minutes from it) but drive by it often and have always thought about it.

It seems like it would be a price effective way to push some originating PHX passengers to that airport who plan to connect anyways. Maybe a once a day flight to DFW and ORD or something like that. Just a thought. It may be far more difficult than I am thinking but curious if it could work.
Doubtful. Sky Harbor still has plenty of space and is relatively cheap to operate from. One or two flights a day also wouldn't be worth the cost of establishing operations at Gateway.

And there's the geography. IWA is so far to the southeast that it would only make sense for Gilbert, parts of Mesa, and Chandler. Anywhere else, and Sky Harbor would be much more convenient. It wouldn't be worth the hassle for people in Phoenix proper, Scottsdale, the west valley, PV, most of Tempe, etc.

I don't think it's a bad idea because I too live about 10 minutes away from Gateway, but there just isn't any real compelling reason to do it.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'll start routing through PHX over LAX/DFW when MCE becomes more widespread throughout the combined fleet. No hate for PMUS hubs, but just prefer the legroom without reduced seat width option that MCE offers.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
Originally Posted by scnzzz
I'll start routing through PHX over LAX/DFW when MCE becomes more widespread throughout the combined fleet. No hate for PMUS hubs, but just prefer the legroom without reduced seat width option that MCE offers.
I can definitely agree with that. Luckily AA is starting to route many 737's through PHX and I've even heard a 737 FA base will open this year with a pilot base shortly after.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
For what it's worth, I've noticed a few changes recently which are not positives:
  • Only one non-stop PHX-JFK on Saturdays
  • 737 on BOS-PHX (ok, this is probably good as it has 16 F seats)
  • First class is often sold out 3-4 weeks in advance on prime flights to JFK, BOS, KOA, PHL, DCA, etc.
  • Removal of evening flight from SFO-PHX (most days of the week now, the last SFO-PHX nonstop departs SFO at 3:45pm except around holidays). I miss the days of the 9 or 10pm flight (several years ago), but without even a 6 or 7pm flight now, the choice is to go to SJC or stay an extra night.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by dylanks
For what it's worth, I've noticed a few changes recently which are not positives:
  • Only one non-stop PHX-JFK on Saturdays
  • 737 on BOS-PHX (ok, this is probably good as it has 16 F seats)
  • First class is often sold out 3-4 weeks in advance on prime flights to JFK, BOS, KOA, PHL, DCA, etc.
  • Removal of evening flight from SFO-PHX (most days of the week now, the last SFO-PHX nonstop departs SFO at 3:45pm except around holidays). I miss the days of the 9 or 10pm flight (several years ago), but without even a 6 or 7pm flight now, the choice is to go to SJC or stay an extra night.
AA is operating flight 2020 from SFO-PHX at 19:59 everyday except Tuesdays, seemingly through EOS
ETA: AA is flying 4x PHX-JFK on Saturdays through EOS. I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but I suggest you find a new source.

AA is planning on basing more 738s in PHX as they feel the the 321s are a bit too large for the market.

Last edited by YtravelF; Jul 21, 2016 at 3:10 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF
AA is operating flight 2020 from SFO-PHX at 19:59 everyday except Tuesdays, seemingly through EOS
ETA: AA is flying 4x PHX-JFK on Saturdays through EOS. I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but I suggest you find a new source.

AA is planning on basing more 738s in PHX as they feel the the 321s are a bit too large for the market.
Neither ExpertFlyer, matrix.itasoftware.com, nor aa.com was (or is) showing flight 2020 in August or October.

I think the 738 on BOS actually replaces an A319, which is actually a good improvement on second thought.

I take back the JFK comment, though I'm only seeing 2 flights, not 4...

See the attachments.
Attached Images     
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
You're right about SFO-PHX...I didn't look far enough out, just August and December, but the late flight gets axed through most of the Fall.

Regarding PHX-JFK, it looks like they shut it down to 2x day after the busy summer season and resume 4x frequency on 8 October.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF
You're right about SFO-PHX...I didn't look far enough out, just August and December, but the late flight gets axed through most of the Fall.

Regarding PHX-JFK, it looks like they shut it down to 2x day after the busy summer season and resume 4x frequency on 8 October.
Yeah, I was just caught a bit off guard. I make many trips to SFO during the year, and this is the first time in a while that I'll have to fly UA.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA
Hoping the 738 starts showing on PHL routes. So tired of the A320s. I wonder why they are being deployed so much on PHX routes, I haven't seen many at CLT or PHL.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by bridge29
Hoping the 738 starts showing on PHL routes. So tired of the A320s. I wonder why they are being deployed so much on PHX routes, I haven't seen many at CLT or PHL.
I saw them pop up on a few PHL routes (PBI, BOS, MSP) in the spring but now they are back to just the LAA hubs.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
The SFO late flight seems to comes on and off the schedule randomly.You will find it consistently for a few weeks and then poof...it gets pulled. I've been flying this route since November and I can't quite figure out both the pricing and the scheduling choices. They've lost my business to SW and UA when I need a later flight or a more realistic price, looks like others on this board as well.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kreative03
The SFO late flight seems to comes on and off the schedule randomly.You will find it consistently for a few weeks and then poof...it gets pulled. I've been flying this route since November and I can't quite figure out both the pricing and the scheduling choices. They've lost my business to SW and UA when I need a later flight or a more realistic price, looks like others on this board as well.
Yes it's really strange. At the moment there's no viable option to fly in for a full day of meetings with just SFO or SJC... No late flight out of SFO and no early flight into SJC which adds to the cost for a rental car. And AA is consistently 20% more expensive than UA for a discounted first class fare ($350-400 on UA vs. $450-550 on AA). Given the number of people that commute from PHX to the Bay Area each week, they must be losing a lot of that traffic to UA and Southwest.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
There is no SFO-LAX-PHX or SJC-LAX-PHX late evening options? I know it involves a connection. But still.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
Given the number of people that commute from PHX to the Bay Area each week, they must be losing a lot of that traffic to UA and Southwest.
Sure, but they have decided that they don't want the business at that price. AA's goal is not to maintain market share at any cost.

That basic economic trade off just cannot be a surprise to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.