Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX Growth Announcement Week of 18 Jan 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MAH4546
New routes announced so far:

DFW-BZN, daily CR9, winter & summer seasonal
DFW-BOI, daily A319
DFW-SUX, daily ERJ145
DFW-SWO, 2x daily ERJ145

LGA-MVY, 3 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-BGR, 2 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-MYR, 2 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-ACK, 3 weekly ERJ170, summer seasonal
LGA-SDF, 1 daily CR2

CLT-SJC, daily A319, eastbound redeye, summer seasonal

ORD-SMF, double daily 738 including one eastbound redeye

LAX-SEA, 5 daily (4x A319 / 1x ERJ-175)
LAX-PDX, 3 daily ERJ-175
LAX-MSP, 2 daily A319
LAX-MSY, 1 daily 738
LAX-MCI, 1 daily A319
LAX-OMA, 1 daily A319
LAX-BDL, 1 daily 738, eastbound redeye
LAX-ANC, 1 daily, A319 seasonal
LAX-DRO, 1 daily, seasonal
LAX-RDU, 2nd daily, summer seasonal, A319

Route CUTS:
PHL-SMF
PHX-YYC
PHX-YEG (moving to winter seasonal)
Print Wikipost

LAX Growth Announcement Week of 18 Jan 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Knowledge is not coordination.

Yes, AA might say to AS, "hey, we are doing this next week."

AA is absolute not saying, "hey, let's coordinate things."

EK tells jetBlue - "hey, we are starting Dubai from Boston." JetBlue, on its own, might then say, "oh, maybe lets start Detroit and have it feed Emirates."
I think (but am not positive) in the B6/EK scenario, there may be some ability to coordinate since B6 and EK don't otherwise compete. The do, however, need to go to DOT which assesses the competitive impact.

https://www.transportation.gov/polic...nce-codeshares
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Euteanzoic7216
DRO is not served by AA even in the winter, so this is a new route altogether.
Its served 2-3x daily year round from PHX. Former US Express now Eagle route.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Euteanzoic7216
Originally Posted by DWFI
Already served on a winter seasonal basis. Those are not new destinations.

Probably it's new summer service also.
DRO is not served by AA even in the winter, so this is a new route altogether.
DRO has been served for years from DFW, at least 5 years now.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:47 am

AA was flying that LAX-BDL route very recently and cancelled it; interesting to see it back so soon. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was cancelled... a year, maybe a year and a half ago? They didn't run it all that long, either.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by StckFigure
AA was flying that LAX-BDL route very recently and cancelled it; interesting to see it back so soon. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was cancelled... a year, maybe a year and a half ago? They didn't run it all that long, either.
Network planning guy said that they are in a better position now to make it work this time.

So... LUS A319s?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suspect this will get rid of the codeshares on this route.
That's definitely not a foregone conclusion; AA and AS codeshare on competing Seattle routes already, SEA-DFW, SEA-ORD and SEA-JFK. In fact SEA-MIA is the only Seattle route where there's no codesharing going on.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
No Mexico as expected.
DGO is in Mexico. Unless that is a typo in the wiki (as I am guessing is the case). But LAX-DGO is a route UA flies, FWIW.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Network planning guy said that they are in a better position now to make it work this time.

So... LUS A319s?
738, as before.

Also, I removed the CLT-SMF cut - I'm seeing very good availability on that through December.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Excited about SJC-CLT -- more options out of SJC are always good!
+1. SJC is by far the best airport in the Bay Area IMO. The timing on the outbound isn't ideal for working a full day and connecting from the east coast - looks like you'd need to leave DCA at 3:35pm, for example - but I suppose the later flights are covered by a connection in DFW.

Originally Posted by golfingboy
SJC currently does not have any option that gets one to a destination on the east coast first thing in the morning. The day time options out of SJC are already well covered by PHX, DFW, and ORD (to a lesser extent - LAX). Having a red-eye option eastbound will complement AA's current offering ex-SJC well.
Indeed there are very few red-eyes out of SJC. DL's SJC-ATL is a redeye and I regularly see it upgauged to a 757, so I would assume there's some demand there for early connections to the East Coast. Always nice to have the option of avoiding SFO.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
On the code share piece, that would be nice to have all AS/AA flights LAX-SEA/PDX be codeshares but that's a really competing with AS on a hub to mini-hub. That's not the case on the SEA-ORD or SEA-DFW flights.

Some of these codeshares I don't understand -- for example -- SLC-BOI and SLC-LAS on AS metal are AA code shares. SLC-LAX on AS metal is not. In fact, AS runs a 738 from SLC-LAX at the same time AA is running a Skywest CRJ.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
DGO is in Mexico. Unless that is a typo in the wiki (as I am guessing is the case). But LAX-DGO is a route UA flies, FWIW.
That was incorrect in the wiki. It's DRO (Durango, Colorado). I've edited the wiki to correct.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
On the code share piece, that would be nice to have all AS/AA flights LAX-SEA/PDX be codeshares but that's a really competing with AS on a hub to mini-hub. That's not the case on the SEA-ORD or SEA-DFW flights.
Not sure I get this argument, since all of AA's flights are to their hubs, and the codesharing is happening in both directions: AS places its code on AA's JFK, DFW and ORD flights, AA places its code on AS's DFW and ORD flights. AA and AS are not cooperating on these routes, and in fact they are banned from cooperation and are each making commercial decisions in their own respective best interests. The commercial discussions around these LAX flights will be the same as those for the other hubs: if AS wants access to AA's network out of LAX, and AA wants access to AS's network out of SEA, codesharing will logically follow.

Now I happen to be the worst armchair CEO on FlyerTalk, so take that for what it's worth, but to me this comes down to route access, and AA and AS need each other to make their west coast routes work, which has been proven out through their longtime codesharing partnership.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle

Some of these codeshares I don't understand -- for example -- SLC-BOI and SLC-LAS on AS metal are AA code shares. SLC-LAX on AS metal is not. In fact, AS runs a 738 from SLC-LAX at the same time AA is running a Skywest CRJ.
Boise and Las Vegas are not not routes that AA flies to/from SLC. AS does so it is logical that AA would codeshare those flights. SLC-LAX is a route that AA flies at least one E75 on every day that I checked. Since they do not have a lot of capacity one would think it would be a logical route to codeshare on but I doubt it is the most popular domestic route traveled from LAX so AA probably assumes it is not needed. On the code sharing on O'Hare and DFW flights...those are very popular and when I take them AA is generally jam packed on every flight. I would assume it is an easy way for AA to add capacity.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Fanjet
While I am pleased by the new service, it's basically 14 new daily flights plus an additional 2 seasonal flights. And I think many people would say in response to those new destinations from LAX would be along the lines of "Weren't they already flying to those cities from LAX?"
There's more new flying to existing destinations that was absent from the PR for whatever reason. Guess we'll know what it is over the weekend with the schedule update.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by MAH4546
There's more new flying to existing destinations that was absent from the PR for whatever reason. Guess we'll know what it is over the weekend with the schedule update.
What do you think it could be? What are the biggest holes in the AA network? JonNYC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.